What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Modern pot dosen't taste as good.

VanXant

You hacked the shit out of it, without understanding what it takes to preserve genetic material. of course it doesnt work right. you happy now, dumbasses?

thanks alot.

99.9999 of the crosses the cannabis seedmarket produced in the last 40 years arent even STRAINS,like people call them. Theyre not even an available cross anymore. A million episodes of one generation shit seeds and then gone, with a chunk of genetic history lost forever. nice work "breeders".

VanXant

Kidding around is all the modern breeders know how to do. Not one of you guys has ever grown 300 plants out to make a proper selection generation. Most of these modern gene pool vandals dont even use more than 2 fkn plants. ...idiots playing games with the gene pool, thinking theyre really doing something because they made seeds that grow as cannabis plants. nice seeds you 'kidders'. Now look what youve done.

Im sorry if you do not like the truth, but it does cannabis no favors for you to deny it.

They whittled the gene pool, and lost genes that supported good flavors,-among other more imprtant traits like adaptability-(scuse my bigg words) in favor of making BLIND POLYHYBRIDS for internet fame among dipshits.

if you deny it, youre blind too.

K

kopite

Kidding around is all the modern breeders know how to do. Not one of you guys has ever grown 300 plants out to make a proper selection generation. Most of these modern gene pool vandals dont even use more than 2 fkn plants. ...idiots playing games with the gene pool, thinking theyre really doing something because they made seeds that grow as cannabis plants. nice seeds you 'kidders'. Now look what youve done.

Im sorry if you do not like the truth, but it does cannabis no favors for you to deny it.

They whittled the gene pool, and lost genes that supported good flavors,-among other more imprtant traits like adaptability-(scuse my bigg words) in favor of making BLIND POLYHYBRIDS for internet fame among dipshits.

if you deny it, youre blind too

personally I think thats well said, when I first got onto the internet "weed" related forums about 3 to 4 years back now, I had just started to grow my own so got a few grows under my belt and noticed alot of people swapping seeds, so I thought great that will save some cash, started asking some questions to peeps and most were just like just get the fem you like and cross a male to it.. so I'm like cool easy enough I'll get to it, did some random pollen chucking and swapped some seeds.. then I actually decide to read a bit on breeding and to ask my sister a bit about it as shes into orchids and stuff and studied plant science... so shes horrified at what we closet hacks do in our attempts at breeding.. and to be honest so I'm I now, people still do it and new people still see this and know no better so they will do it.. then people make crosses with hack stuff and what are we left with ? sure we get to see the rainbow but lose the ability to see the full spectrum....

I like those that educate sure sometimes certain people come off as harsh but often the truth is..

Kopite

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
420giveaway
re: Dr. G "old people weed"- haha, where's the respect?

I grew up in a college town in the early seventies. We bought ounces of Mexican and Panama for fifteen bucks for a four-finger ounce! Twenty if it was really good shit!
Granted, it wasn't two-hit shit, and you had to smoke a little more, but I like smokin'! ;)
"old people weed "--- that's funny.

Mr.Hades

I still have some seeds from 25-30 years ago that were given to me from my mom. My uncles used to grow back then. I dont know if they would sprout, but dont want to waste the genetics if they could... Ive always wondered what they'd look like. haha

Mr.Hades

And i dont know what that guy up there is taking about, sure, there are many many people breeding wrong but there are also others breeding right. Maybe you should take a chill pill dude? Thanks. :)

VanXant

Its not a symbol of "success" at all. I can see you are nowhere near understanding enough to be even handling these important genetics. STOP.

Its too bad you (and others with equal ignorance)are playing with something that is so important, yet seem to care so little about, which is my main thrust here....

Your small-time sexual reproductions damage the gene pool. Genes are LOST forever when you breed with small populations and with NO comprehension of what really goes on. CARELESS breeding with small populations is frivolous and wasteful of an important natural resource; one that has a potential to be improved now, but will not retain that potential without the necessary genes. Have you never heard this before? jesuschrist man.

and youre even PROUD of yourself...mygodd.

VanXant

I rest my case. Youre not 'equipped' to discuss it.

Just STOP handling the gene pool.

p.s. I do practice what I preach. I dont make stupid intercrosses of the gene pool with 2 plants just because it SOUNDS like a neato STRAIN should arise from it.

what ignorance! look at yourself and recognize stupidity, man.

Mr.Hades

Listen dude. In this world, people are going to do whatever they want regardless of what you think.

Maybe you should soak your pillow tonight even more because humans are being human.

You should realize that ranting about things you cant control under a random handle isnt going to change a thing.

If you care about it so much, then maybe you yourself, should practice what you preach with these "important genetics" and not worry so much about what others do... Then, maybe you can start your own seed company so that you can claim that you have something everyone doesnt. Maybe you could call it, "Important Genetics Seed Company" or something clever like that.

Just trying to help... Thanks. ^_^

Mr.Hades

I dont make stupid intercrosses of the gene pool with 2 plants just because it SOUNDS like a neato STRAIN should arise from it.

what ignorance! look at yourself and recognize stupidity, man.

Whats wrong with that if the grower is just experimenting with his own seeds in their own place of privacy so that they can learn?!?

Who are you to tell someone what they can and cant do?

Who are you to tell someone they cant learn?

You should post all of this with your real account so that everyone can see how retarded you are.
And I say that as polite as possible. :)

VanXant

This is my real account now. You may know me better by another name, hyb. probably not tho.... you couldnt even type on a keyboard when I started using that internet nickname.

I can tell you what I think, because A) Im entitled to my opinion. and B) I know what Im talking about.

I wish you would Learn. IF you do learn what youre talking about, youll agree with me.

I have given you something to think about today. LOOK INTO IT FURTHER, and dont be so retarded and careless. and STOP handling the gene pool. You dont know what youre doing.
later.

THC123

Veteran
Even though his tone and attitude kinda sucks :noway: he is right.

It becomes one big mix of many similar strains. totally dilluting the gene pool unless the oroginals are saved.

This is something the breeder of nederzaad always told me.

Nonetheless there are lots of good new strains ,

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Even though his tone and attitude kinda sucks :noway: he is right.

It becomes one big mix of many similar strains. totally dilluting the gene pool unless the oroginals are saved.

This is something the breeder of nederzaad always told me.

Nonetheless there are lots of good new strains ,

I agree, and the more I learn, the more I understand why people like the angry dude above get worked up. I think trying to call out ALL new breeders is a bit strong though, there are some people out there doing things right.

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
This is my real account now. You may know me better by another name, hyb. probably not tho.... you couldnt even type on a keyboard when I started using that internet nickname.

I can tell you what I think, because A) Im entitled to my opinion. and B) I know what Im talking about.

I wish you would Learn. IF you do learn what youre talking about, youll agree with me.

I have given you something to think about today. LOOK INTO IT FURTHER, and dont be so retarded and careless. and STOP handling the gene pool. You dont know what youre doing.
later.

And my i ask you, how you are helping the gene pool??

Mr.Hades

I agree, and the more I learn, the more I understand why people like the angry dude above get worked up. I think trying to call out ALL new breeders is a bit strong though, there are some people out there doing things right.

Of course hes right to an extent.

But I use the word "extent" for a reason.

There are so many doing things wrong but there are plenty of people out there doing things right.

Skip

Veteran
My take on this subject:
1. The old original genetics still exist. Many individuals and companies have taken responsibility to seek out and preserve original genetic lines (including Gypsy Nirvana), so it's not like they no longer exist. The net effect of ppl haphazardly cross-breeding only affects what they grow, not the entire cannabis genetic line.

2. If pot from the old daze tastes better it's probably because back then it was all grown organically in Mexico or elsewhere. The peasants who grow it and their overlords never had the incentive to pay for chemicals. Pot just grew outdoors in natural sunshine, with no added chemicals. It was allowed to go to seed much of the time, and it was well cured, esp. by the time you got it in the US.

Everyone knows that the chemicals used to grow pot today is what causes most of the bad flavors (some genetics just taste bad too). Improper curing and handling can make it worse.

And if you never got to taste Thai Stick, Maui Wowee, or Puna Butter, you have nothing to compare current strains to. These varieties blew away even the best Colombian for taste. They were better cured, fresher, not pressed, not wrapped in plastic and thrown overboard to wash up on some shore.

And despite all of today's LYING propaganda that potency has increased, it hasn't. Those strains I just mentioned from the 70s can still blow away 95% of what's out there. And they tasted better too! Sweet and smooth. You just wanted to smoke more cause it tastes so good! And the high? Well they don't call those strains legendary for nothing!