What's new

Glandular Dentate leaf morphology

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok so I'm interesting in finding the source of this tooth structure on the fringes on the leafs & the difference in secondary metabolites that cause these fan leafs to throw resin.

I have a feeing that the trait is one that in older days was an indicator of a flowering type plant or one for smoking, not growing fibre.

I am unsure how we can trace the source of the jagged edges back to it's grass roots.

Perhaps it was from hybridisation or just naturally occurring. I expect that it is a sign of heterosis laying outside of either of the parents morphology.

Do they serve a purpose to allow gaseous exchange in high humidity or other scenarios where we see the edges curl upwards ?

picture.php

R

Rox

I don't think it's related to strain as have had this appear on lots of unrelated varieties. I do believe it may originate from mexican genetics but I have no definite proof of that other than observation of this trait across the boards and in my own practice.

When I researched into this a while back I came to the conclusion that it is an indicator of potency and old world breeding used to use the leaf types/patterns as a form of selection, I recall reading some posts from Nev about this trait

I have had a plant that had triple serrations:tiphat:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for taking the time to reply, I have seen the same thing. Although I have seen the dentate in pure Thai as well as Mexican not triples though.

Could it be a universal indicator outwardly expressed displaying Chemotype for the hand of man to select towards? That would be cool.

I would like to find the posts from Nev on this subject.

Dank Frank has a theory of potency & petioles. Maybe I can get him to come & post his findings here in this thread.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
First time I recall seeing this was back in the og days. I think it was blueberry or Cali O. I thought it was a marker for certain genes.

picture.php

picture.php

This plant I had was a cross I made with a bag seed "blueberry" male. I put blueberry in quotes because I don't know what it was but had all the markers for djs work. Purple, smells like artificial grape, mutations, double sawtooth on the leaves. I've rarely seen it in my plants and pics on the internet. I still think it's a trait marker.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I know for certain is when the plant is suffering from poor cultivation it throws it less, when growing @ optimum they come on nearly every blade. I thought that it was a sign of fast growth when they're 'booting' but I have strains that when running @ optium or as best as I can @ present they have boring leaflets with none of this. They grow strong THC rich cannabis though.

PoweredByLove

Most Loved
Are this all one plant you're talking about or different strains that all do this? One only ever seen it in pictures of Cali-orange or might have been blueberry can't remember this was like 2002, but I've only ever seen it in one plant I've ever grown from seed.

Breadwizard

I have seen this trait in all sorts of genetics, and as posted earlier, lots of Mexican-derived plants. Most recently in some BSHW x BSHB, which was also showing very deep serrations.

I don't really think it's indicative of any other traits the plant may have. A famous clone that has the double serrations is cheese.

Piff_cat

I would look into trisomic aneuploidity. A condition where one of the chromosomes is triplicate. The change in genetic dosing and transcription creates extreme phenotypes more so then even tetraploids. So if genes for dentate and secondary metabolite on leaves is triplicate and find it very easy to reproduce

Latest posts

Latest posts