What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Drip Irrigation Components/Grommets Source?

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey all! -- :wave:

This may be a silly a$$ question, but I figure I'll toss it out here anyway... I'm having a hard time finding components for setting up my DWC Buckets properly.

I'm trying my hardest not to go back to the one and only hydro shop that's within driving distance of my home, as I am a paranoid fool!

I've been able to locate {though not purchase as yet} L's and T's and such. And tubing/piping should be no problem. But what's been a real problem so far is finding the Grommets for fitting into the buckets. Anyone know of a good source, aside from going to a hydro store? I'd like it to be a local type shop where I can walk in and pay cash. Ordering online would just create additional delays...

Thanx!

-BuzzBob

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey Bartender! Thanx for the suggestion!

Yeah, I did try HD... But either a) they don't have them, or b) the dweeb I asked didn't know... I am suspecting the latter based on the fact that I had to explain what a grommet was to him! And I don't care to get into too lengthy conversations with these people. Don't want to have to answer too many questions, and/or leave a lasting impression...

However! I just let my fingers do some walk'n, and Auto Parts places tend to carry them. Usually {based on the three that I called} in a variety pack. But the last one I called, CarQuest, said that if I can tell him the specs for what I need, he can have 'em in either same day, or next day. That works! :cool:

So I'm off for HD to grab a few L's and T's, and then over to CarQuest to order a dozen of so grommets!

Next Q: Are there any tricks to getting a good seal on the buckets with these things? i.e., Slather 'em with vasoline, or goop, or something? Or will they normally slip in nice and water tight? I measured a piece of the bucket I've cut out, and figure I need 'em with a 1/16" groove. Sound right?

-BuzzBob

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
What a Son of a 'B'!!! -- :mad:

Maybe I have a mismatch of grommets to fittings to tubing... But last night I worked on my Controller Bucket/Res, and Damn! What a PITA!!! I must be doing something wrong here...

Is there an easy to implement means of attaching the lines between the buckets? This business of 1/2" ID Grommets, with 1/2" OD Barbed Fittings is for the birds! And even when/if I do get them fitted, there will be NO disassembling/reassembling for moving and/or maintenance...

So... There has to be a better way... Any ideas/suggestions?

I was looking at an OG Thread last night that has this system which I really like! Any ideas on what the bucket fittings are?

Click for Larger Image

Thanx for any tips, hints, and tricks anyone cares to offer... {I need to go off and buzz now...}

-BuzzBob

Desert Dude

Grommets

Grommets

Hey , if you have a True Value Hardware close check them out. My local store has a great selection of sizes and a few types too. Would you be to paraniod to us a web/mail order source?http://www.betterthannature.com/catalog/ Check this place out. If I rememberright , they had a pretty good selection of grommets. As did American Agritech too. Some silicon spray will also help with seals and gettting the grommets and connectors in easier.

Good luck

DD

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey, thanx DD!

There is a True Value up the road a piece I believe... Next time I'm in need of some plumbing parts, I'll be sure to check 'em out! {I like to spread my purchases out, and not always go to Lowes & Home Depot for everything...

I did wind up throwing in the towel on using grommets though. Here's what I found that works just duckie!

Click for Larger Image

With that li'l guy, you can tap a bucket with a 13/16" hole, and it'll literally screw right in. Coated with some Plumber's Goop, allowed to dry, and it makes a good permanent waterproof fitting! Works pretty slick!

-Bob

BuzzBob

aka Buzz'dBob
Veteran
Hey Sparky! -- :wave:

Thanx for the tip, bro! I think you must be referring to the pic I copied over from OG that is actually someone else's system; not mine. Its one I was working on emulating... And I concur with you. He should either cover those lines, or replace them with black poly.

Personally, I use the latter {black poly} on all of my water/nute lines. The only place I have clear are on my air lines, and one tube I have running up the side of me 'troller bucket that's a sort of Fuel Gage to show at a glance the level of the water in the Controller Bucket...

-Bob

General Hydroponic's grommets are the ones to get... I pick them up for a buck a peice at worms way... kinda felt funny trading a $20 bill for a small handful of rubber... but those things are worth their wieght in gold. The HomeDepot sells their grommets in the *electrical* section... pretty flimsy, they aren't made for hydro systems = leaks.

Futuregarden.com has GH grommets a bit cheaper, as does bghydro.com