What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

bad electrical boxes

B

baccas125

:wave:

After a brief conversation, yesterday in the chat room. I decided to make this post for general safty purposes. Main electric panels instaled in the US, made by Federal Pacific can be hazardous. there breakers are know to no switch off and burn instead. Most of these electric boxes don't come with a main breaker. If you have one installed at your home please be advised to replace before you invest in any other equipment.

Remeber your electrical safty and keep everything green.

Baccas:alien: :alien: :alien: :abduct:

Pactivist

I agree

I agree

Hey Baccas - since it was me that you were chatting with, I figured that a little more info might be helpful. I am with you 100% on the FP electrical boxes, but I would like to add that most older houses were not designed for todays high wattage equipment.

First let me assure you that my grow equipment had nothing to do with my close call
My house was built in 1906, and has had no major work since the 70's. There isn't much in my house that would meet todays codes, but that is changing just as fast as i can get to them. Now, the problem really began with my washing machine. Our washer had been in storage in the garage, and the moisture must have caused a short in it, because one day when it was on our bathroom light started to flicker. When i walked into the bathroom, all i could smell was ozone, and i heard this hissing noise. I looked into the closet where my breaker box is located and I saw arcs and sparks everywhere. Luckily I knew what to do, and I used a nearby piece of wood to trip the main breaker (yes my box ,an FP, has a main breaker, must be a newer model?). Upon closer inspection I found that the Breaker had not tripped, part of the breaker cover was burnt off, and the breaker itself had burned the contacts where it attaches to the box almost completely off. additionally the wire leading out of the box to my washing machine outlet was pretty hot. Now I thought that I would be safe if I just hooked up my room on its own circuits, and i made sure that it was wired to the letter. problem was I never checked the existing breakers to make sure that they were operational. My oversight almost caused a tragedy, and I urge you, If you live in an older house - be very careful. Check all wires, outlets, circuit breakers or fuses, and always make sure that your ground is good. Never do any electrical work yourself, unless you know what you are doing!!! Do not overload circuits, especially in an older house, older wiring gets hot fast! And also, remember that it takes a lot more current to start an electrical appliance than it does to run it, so stagger all of your start up times! Alright I've said what I needed to so, don't make the same mistake i did, and check everything! peAce pacT

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Great thread. I was planning on moving into this 3 bedroom house, and it wasnt untill I found out that the house had same electrical system that was installed when it was built in 1916. Their was very few outlets in the house, and the previous residents seemed to get by, through overloading the outlets with extension cords and power strips. It was a nice old homy feelin house, nice location, had great closets :D, but I didnt have the money or the time to overhaul the electrical system. However, Ive already been in one house fire, so im quite paranoid about things like this.

bartender187

full time daddy
Veteran
well that not my braker........think god

but mine is just as bad i think......

mine burn's braker's also

it will trip them but burn's at the point of the braker to the box
iv had to replace 4 now im putting in a new box in 4 week and all new brakers...

heres a few pix of mine wish i could get a better one of the brake my cam sux on close ups

2168IMGP0270-med.JPG

2168IMGP0271-med.JPG

2168IMGP0274-med.JPG

2168IMGP0275-med.JPG

2168IMGP0276-med.JPG

B

baccas125

looks like you could use an update

looks like you could use an update

ther is noting more important than safty. Lets all live long enough to enjoy are rewards. hey 420 never seen an electric box outside. what part of the country do they do that. remember to use the largest gauge wire you can find.

baccas :abduct: :alien: :alien:

B

baccas125

burning breaker

burning breaker

at least you were burning braker Federal Pacifics are know not to even burn or trip. They will alow enough current to pass threw until it melts or over heats the wires causing a fire. a lot of there older boxes don't contail proper grounding either. everyboady should getout of there seat and go check right now what type of box they have could be the best thing that you could do for yourself.

grow safe baccas:abduct: :alien: :alien: :alien:

full time daddy
Veteran
i did have one start on fire thats why i replaced 4 of them
its not good even brand new one's.
so i got a nex box and it will be put in in 3-4 week i have to wait for a friend that know's what hes doing and for my grow... im in california
im gonna change it to the in side thats why i have to wait! i keep a good eye on it when the lights are on
i also use 12g wire :) it only runs 10 feet to the plug for the light's :)

when i say it burns braker's .... i dont mean it dont work any more it still dose....

the part on the braker that hit's the hot poles on the box shoot's spark's and starts fires.....

it fry's the in side of the braker to the point of melting plactic and metal

cant wait to get the new one in.....scares me everyday

i stay home the hole 12 hr's the light are on just to watch
this one that i took a pic of is not even one from my grow it one to my living room and the only thing in there is a light ( 60w ) and t.v. d.v.d player not anything alse

Last edited:
B

baccas125

beware of all electrical boxs

beware of all electrical boxs

siemens the pride of german. it looks like they have problems also. does anyone have a suggestion as to who has the best boxes for sale in us as far a reliability goes.

baccas

Latest posts

Latest posts