What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you cool your greenhouse?

ubi

i want a shade cloth. and a 50% would do great (ive heard) and drop at least 10 maybe more 20 degrees.
Anyone else have better luck with the reflective or other types of shade cloths???

this year i built a 20x60x16 series 500, and only had 2x 5000cfm swamp coolers from home depot, and fresh intakes, with 15k cfm of fans pulling on it all.
With all that it dropped the inside temp from 120 to 95 on the hottest day (being 100 almost) here in eastern colo.

picture.php

Last edited:

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
High and low venting,shade cloth,circ fans,and wet wall with fans pulling the cooler air through the g.h.
I know you have swampers running.
A wet wall usually spans across the entire back wall. And can be home made. We had two big exhaust fans pulling the cooler air through our 30x60 gh.
Our house was also regulated by thermostatic controls....upper vents opened when needed,wet wall vents opened and pumps started etc...shade cloth tracked...

St. Phatty

I had that problem this summer with some Coffee trees.

100 degrees in the shade was OK ... 80 degrees in the sun was OK ... but 100 degrees & full sun ==> TOO MUCH !!!

Shadecloth & more shadecloth to deal with some of it.

Also had to pay attention to root mass temperature, with Cannabis. Stick my hand in the soil mid-afternoon ... waaaay too hot.

Just started watering the pots mid-afternoon to get root temps down.

Also covered the pots (2 cubic feet of soil in a rolling garbage can) with reflective paper.

anybody have any suggestions on how to properly cool my greenhouse during the summer when it's always 120 degrees inside the greenhouse. specifically for haze?

Last edited:

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just the haze. nothing but the haze. coffee trees, apples and bananas are not the same thing we are comparing here. probablly throw some gorillas in there for breeding purposes. anybody have any suggestions on how to properly cool this greenhouse during the summer when it's always 120 degrees inside the greenhouse.

Contact a greenhouse supply warehouse....ask them since you aren't listening to us.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
I don't have a shade cloth or black out system. What I do have is hot days and a bunch of direct sunshine. My greenhouse is 12'w x 20'l. I'm going to mount a yard sprinkler above and in middle of my house. Then I or the wife can just turn on the water for a while when its really hot out. I haven't tried this yet or read about anyone doing it. I felt it the best simple fix for my needs. With a large house it would be more difficult to do. Mine is small, I feel it will work well. We used to run through them as kids to cool down. No reason it shouldn't work and I keep full strength of the sun un shaded. Peace