What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

construction has begun

bleak

I've finally got my stuff together and began construction on what will soon be my first ever grow room. Now the room may not seem perfect and there are a few things that I might need to change, but the excitment of being so close to planting my first seeds is overwhelming..

Basically the room is 10x8 (roughly) It will be used as a flowering room and for the time being will be cut off slightly until I can purchase more lights. In the flower room I will be using a 1000watt HPS, I believe its an econogrow.

Click for Larger Image
^ This is the bare room before anything was touched.

Next I built myself some supports for the "walls" using some 2x4s

[url=http://www.icmag.com/gallery/data/500/307rightwall.JPG]
Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image[/url]
Now this next step is the one I'm a bit skeptical about...I bought some blue tarp figuring it would do a good job at keeping the bugs out and have a nice seal around the outside. I'm not sure if blue was the best choice of color, I should have went for something white. Please give me some feedback on this :)

Click for Larger Image

The temp in the room is a steady 69 degrees, i've never grown before so I have no idea how much light the heat is going to add but I have the ability to either vent out the window or through the side wal which leads under a deck...another option would be to tap into the central air duct above the room, but I've yet to find out enough info about that.

Click for Larger Image

Next thing I did was put up some plywood up, I haven't finished yet but when i'm done the entire right wall will be covered on the outside as will the front and back walls. I did this mainly for looks as I don't want the tarp being the only thing exposed.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Next I began to put up some emergency blankets. They def are not as workable as I thought they would be so I do plan on buying a few rolls of mylar in the near future, but these will have to do for now.

Click for Larger Image

Click for Larger Image

Last edited:

bleak

The front of the room is the only thing I'm still undecided on. I'm not sure if I want to put a door up someway and then build a wall around it or just figure out another way to get in or out. Anywas heres a picture, maybe someone has some ideas.

Click for Larger Image
s

So with that you have what thus far will be my first growroom. I'd appreciate some suggestions on whatever you guys see needs some adjusting or anything else that comes to mind. The room will hopefully be done by the middle of the week and then I can start working on making a nice little veg room. Veg room will only house 4 4ft shoplights right now and maybe some odd ball fluros but after first harvest I'll be investing in a 400MH for it.

Thanks for taking the time to read through everything and feel free to post your feelings :D

wisc2

Im jealous, Ive had 2 houses. If I only knew then what I know now. You are on the right track. About odor and vent??

bleak

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys :) hopefully it will be classic. one thing im still unsure about is the blue tarp, good or bad idea?

wisc2: Odor and vent are not a huge issue right now. I have 2 windows very close to the grow room that i could for venting it. They both lead out to discrete places where the smell could linger and no one would notice. The basement has been pretty much sealed off from the rest of the house, I'll just keep a few good fans down there to keep the air circulating...if it does become a huge problem I may have to invest in some ozone scrubbers etc...we'll just have to wait and see.

The room itself has gotten little work since I posted the first time. I'll be doing a lot of stuff on Monday and hopefully sending out an order for my light and some seeds. Stay tuned :) plenty more where this came from.

grow rooms

grow rooms

hey just my 2 cents i have bought my first house in the last 2 years and this is what ive learned.i have built and torn down at least 2 grow rooms.i have tried rooms throughtout the house and found out the basement is the best place to grow.good stable temps throughout the year and you can lock it away.the bad thing is the dust.the house i own is older so the basement has more dust than u can imagine.when i built this last room that i am currently using i used a pallet (like used in shipping)as the floor.i use a 600 watter so the pallet is bout 4 by 5 so its perfect for the light.dont build to big!I made that mistake.i took the pallet and built walls encloseing the space allowed by the pallet floor.i hung black plastic as the walls and mylar space blankets as interior walls.i rough framed a door jab and built a half ass door.just 2 boards fastening together and hung with hinges.it works.i hung my light dead center in middle of it all and hung a fan.the biggset thing you have to worry bout is the friggan dust.it will affect your plants.i mist them all the time in veg and early flowering.make it small and as dust proof as possible and KEEP IT SIMPLE and you will have nice buds to share with friends and smoke youslf retarded every day as people round u rant and rave bout the brick weed the bought down the street.

Rabbitt-420

Im glad to see that people are creating grow rooms instead of using the same old closet like myself.
They always say "Smoking leads to carpentry"
I wish i had the room and cash to build myself some sort of room.

Im hoping to have enough space in my new house to build a 4x8 room and then cut it in half and make a veg and a flower room inside of a room or even the basement if i can.

Keep up the good work and im sure whatever you come out with will work for you.

SativaJoe

Damn I wish we had basements in Southern California

Nice going....keep us updated on your progress, I'll be livin my dreams through you and your thread.

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
For your 1st grow room

For your 1st grow room

Damn nice bleak
you should do well in that space!
Lucky SOB! :p

Like Toke sayz get some plants in there!
LOL

Best of Luck
Sin
:wave:

B

baccas125

nice fistr job

nice fistr job

lookin good i remember my first grow with 175 watts of metal halide in 1990 shared my closet with plants and suits baccas:alien:

Latest posts

Latest posts