What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blockhead overview

Y

YosemiteSam

All of them grew in to normal ganja plants...however the ones that started out mutated are not as robust in growth or size yet as the ones that did not have to "normalize" .. I was planning on flowering this lot of seeds out along with the OG x Alien Kush and DOG x C99 I have going now but due to the high % of plants that clearly need more vegetative growth before I will be able to truly check them, I held them back and will sex them out, reverse the males, and select accordingly for parent plants.

Methinks good move indeed. I would bet my favorite nut there is something good in these...but it sure as fuck looks like there is a lot of bad also. I have been totally impressed with the rest of the Grindhouse gear i have...but something is not quite right with this one.

V

Veg N Out

Methinks good move indeed. I would bet my favorite nut there is something good in these...but it sure as fuck looks like there is a lot of bad also. I have been totally impressed with the rest of the Grindhouse gear i have...but something is not quite right with this one.

Speaking to the bold text..What bad have you observed? Have you finished a run of the blockhead line out yet? Was there a high % of intersexual individuals? How about the uniformity and resin & flower production? What's not right?

My speculation is that due to the parentage of the blockhead (S1 P19 x Sweet BX2) and the very small initial pool ( I believe 5 seeds of original SOL blockhead seconds ) combined with how ever many steps of inbreeding steele's done combined with his final step of crossing back to the mother line, this is why we're seeing the mutants fixed in such high %...Is it good or bad? I don't know...but I'll tell you after I run through these 40 seedling guaranteed...

Y

YosemiteSam

I had two mutants out of 13. but the thing that strikes me as wrong is the veg vigor...there basically is none. I am running these along with a pack of Mextiza and they are getting their asses kicked. Mextiza popped on the same day are probably 50% ahead at this point

My MB and Prophet are beasts. They veg quickly and pretty much blow everything else away. These BH are really slow. Both the MB and Prophet would have outgrown the Mextiza.

I flipped them about a week ago and I will say they seem to be pulling out of it. It is really just a sense that they aren't right at this point.

But, like you, I still have hopes of finding a good one. We will know in another 9-10 wks.

Y

YosemiteSam

Here are a few pics showing the mutants...these plants were not topped by me, grew that way on their own. They don't look bad almost a week into flower but they were some ugly little bitches for a while. Also you can see the variation in vigor.

Still...given the pedigree I fully expect to find at least one winner.

untitled-0046.jpg

untitled-0043.jpg

untitled-0044.jpg

S

seedee

i don't know if anyone has read any of my post from other threads

i don't know if anyone has read any of my post from other threads

but for the entire time all my blockheads were in veg they grew to all of about 12 to 16 in , took quite a bit of time , but a week after i placed them into flower they exploded every one tripled in size . not all strain out there grow in the same manner. but luckily for me i knew from steele's blue sonjas line that they would explode like that.check out my blockhead ibl thread . it shows them at 14in tall to 36+ in at the end of flower. just to warn anyone who does see i had an explosion of spider mites so they were held back a little. though i did not top them . so expect vigor in flower.

S

seedee

just went back and checked my thread , got mine to pop on 12-2-11 and put them into flower on 1-26-12 nearly 2 months to get em 12 to 16in tall. but like i said they were all over 36 in at the finish of flower.

the gnome

Veteran
i experienced the same thing seedee, because of broad mites I veg'd 10-11wks.
she wasn't very big but like yours finished out around 36".
still not sure if the mites may have stunted her any,
i have clones and will be running her again.
even tho she was 3ft tall i got a low weight from her
if i don't do better this round I know she'll be perfect for a SOG grow!!
they/mine loved to shoot that main cola up, even topped out!
and the nugz are very dense!

V

Veg N Out

Did you guys get your broad mites from these seeds or another source?

G

Guest 88950

your kiddin right?

no broad mites on my bh ibl or ultra sonja.

can they even be passed on by seed?

G

Guest 88950

^^^^^lol

i knew i shoulda stayed outta 40amps rootaphid thread last year.

S

seedee

its all good veg en out . i actually had spider mites and gnomie had the broads. you should be quite happy with your blockheads . its not the easiest strain to grow but its not the hardest neither. so keep us updated. and don't let em get too tall before you flower or your gonna be dealing with a super batch of redwoods in your basement. me and pal both ended up with 36in plants mine started out at 12 to 14 in. i can't say that enough they may lack vigor now but watch out in the long run.

V

Veg N Out

Right on.. If I find the right one that might end up being what gets put in there.. My set up does best with 50 plants per 4x8 flipped at 10-12" finishing at 3' .... Bless it up. Breaking out my Celestron microscope now to see what the fuck is up in my garden.

the gnome

Veteran
I have to ask,
does anyone else growing out BHs see the tendancy for them to want to to toss out TELEPHONE POLES??
:plant grow:

even with topping my Ice Princess was very insistent on throwing up the *blockhead mast* :gday:

Last edited:
G

Guest 88950

my lone girl went in small a stretched a bit........wasnt expecting any yield but ended up with 18gm and i left the bottom to reveg, so another 4gm left on the plant.

the buds are really dense and turned a golden honey color from the frost.

very pleased with her so far.

Y

YosemiteSam

9-10 wks veg of MB/Prophet gives me 4 ft tall and really bushy plants time after time, you can put it in the book. I did not write down exactly when I started these but maybe 8 wks and my biggest one is 20 inches tall. I will grow them out to see if I get something special but these are not going to make the show