What's new

2,500 watts used in rented house too much?

My point is, its the current draw from the ballast that determines its consumption. Not the wattage of the bulb since that voltage is not 120, it's stepped up way high to fire the sodium gas.
Look at your ballast, the current rating is on it. My 430 draws 5.2 amps 624 watts at 120v. My 1000 draws 1080 watts at 120v. Using your calculation I would be under stating the power used my lights at 120v and the true Kwatt consumption of the ballast. Thats why the current is printed on the label. they don't tell you the resistance, they tell you the current. The formula is below.
In order to know the power you need to know the current, in order to know the current you need to know the resistance. Heres ohms law. 35 years in electronics.

Again it's not the wattage from the bulb it's the wattage from the ballast you pay for in your bill.

P=EI P watts E volts I current
I=E/R R resistance

P.S now you understand why 1000W lights are more efficiant than smaller ones . More lumens per watt consumed.

Last edited:

splif-magnet

okok,, now we are getting into the nity grity... fair dues the amperage will be slightly diff for each balast,, BUT a 400 w ballist or a 1000w balist will figure CLOSE to the needed CKT rating,, given the math used,,,,

PS what other bulb would you use on a 1000w balist,, ???

1000w bulb or a 1000w balist.. whats the real diff??/ 1000w consumed....

Last edited:
Using your formula of divideing the wattage by the volts gives an erroneous current rating i.e. 430w /120=3.5 amps according to your way of calculation (which is wrong, it only works for the 1000 because of it's efficency.) That puts you 30% diff btwen the rated current on the label and your calculation method. And if you read the previous posts regarding safety margin, you're already off by your calculation. Same thing for flouro lites. 80 watts from the 2 bulbs is not the result of the current draw from the ballasts. Your calcs will show a fluoro fixture drawing .6 amps. Wrong, fluoro ballsts draw different current based on the length of bulb.
And watt is the difference in which watts you calculate?
As exampled above, if you are figuring power consumption and current draw for your ckt brkrs, you'd better use the rated current on your device for your calculations. Load transformers (ballasts) are different than light bulbs and other devices not using transformers and capacitors. The important thing is to use the rating on the device, that way you'll know the current draw for sure for saftey purposes.

Don't figure a large commercial installation by your calc method, you'll start a fire. Read up on the practical uses of Ohm's and Kirchoff's Laws, you'll be a valuable electrician.

splif-magnet

hmm ok to be more "exact"... you are correct.. i was just trying to show guide lines for general safty..

HELL NO,, would i NOT use rougth caculations for a large commercial job.. as i first said.. large HID lighting jobs are not my norm these days....

peace

No problem, I know you meant well, and actually your calc method is acceptable for rough estimation of AC incandecent circuits. But you need to go by the manufacturers listed rated amps when working with reactive AC devices, such as transformers, ac motors, etc.

Peace

Slowmoe

Killerwatts

Killerwatts

In April here in Mpls. police stormed what they thought was a pot grow site, but found only a family that uses a lot of electricity.
$300 a month. Safe growing to all Slowmoe

600's are the most effiecient but I wouldn't really worry about power usage. Remember the 2k flower room you want to run will only be on 12 hours, so its only 1k of power a day.

If I was renting a house I would run AT LEAST a 4000w flower room. You won't have any trouble as long as you keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
B by B in what way is a 600W light more effecient than a 1000w?
You get more lumens per watt with a 1000 than a 600. It is cheaper to run a 600 but more lumens/watt for a 1000 = higher efficency.

Running a 1000w light for 12 hours will be 13kw/per day. at 10 cents /kw will cost $1.30 per day

Aquaman2112

How could I add to my circut breaker box extra circits if I cannot get an electrician, I want to set up three 1000w on timers in a room but have no idea how to do it and cannot figure out a story that says I need three timers for one room! could have one setup for said outside lights Soo I would like to do it myself but never have done more than change an outlet!

shrike

CrunchNasty the real issue here is not the lights, its the "Rented Premises" this is how you will get caught.

Landlords will find excuses to enter your premises, just dropped by for a beer, need to paint/fix/repair basement sump pump, roof is leaking, yard needs weeding, I decided to list the property for sale, the list goes on.

Unless you like living dangerously, don't worry about the electrical ratings calculations (interesting), worry about the Landlord catching you !

Why don't you do what I did. I went out in life and got a job, worked my ass off for 20 + years, saved enough to by my OWN HOUSE, then contemplated growing a few plants for my personal requirments.

If you don't get the point then, I suppose it is pointless to continue.

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
closetking said:
B by B in what way is a 600W light more effecient than a 1000w?
You get more lumens per watt with a 1000 than a 600. It is cheaper to run a 600 but more lumens/watt for a 1000 = higher efficency.

Running a 1000w light for 12 hours will be 13kw/per day. at 10 cents /kw will cost $1.30 per day

actually closet king,
vapour and babylon by bus are correct. 600s are more efficient in both operating costs and lumens per watt. what follows are manufacturers specs on both followed by a breakdown of operating costs.

Operating Position Universal
Fixture Rating Open
Correlated Color Temperature(K) 2100°
Color Rendering (CRI) 21
ANSI Spec (Ballast) S52 HPS
Initial Lumens 140,000
Lumens Per Watt 140
Mean Lumens 126,000
Ave. Rated Life (hrs @ 10hr/start) 24,000
Spectral Energy Red/Orange
Operating Position Universal
Fixture Rating Open
Correlated Color Temperature(K) 2100°
Color Rendering (CRI) 21
ANSI Spec (Ballast) S106 HPS
Initial Lumens 90,000
Lumens Per Watt 150
Mean Lumens 81,000
Ave. Rated Life (hrs @ 10hr/start) 18,000
Spectral Energy Red/Orange

Bulb Type Ballast Wattage -Cost per hour at $0.10 per KWH- Cost per day at 16 hours per day- Cost per Month
1000 watt High Pressure Sodium Bulb 1100 -$0.11- $1.76- $52.80
1000 watt Hortilux Enhanced Spectrum HPS 1100 -$0.11- $1.76- $52.80
600 Watt High Pressure Sodium Bulb 665 -$0.07 -$1.06- $31.92

Last edited:
I'm glad I live where I live. My electric rate is $0.067 per KWH:cool:

3200watts plus fans and exhuast in flower cost me about $125.00 a month.
Ive got my 520watts( 400MH, and 6-20watt floru. ) and fans for veg. hooked up on water heater meter which is charged at $0.051 per KWH going 24/7 and that runs me about $27.00 .

pease:)

Last edited:

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
SlackerScrog said:
I'm glad I live where I live. My electric rate is $0.067 per KWH:cool:

3200watts plus fans and exhuast in flower cost me about $125.00 a month.
Ive got my 520watts( 400MH, and 6-20watt floru. ) and fans for veg. hooked up on water heater meter which is charged at $0.051 per KWH going 24/7 and that runs me about $27.00 .

pease:)

hell i wish i could say the same. mine runs between .11/kwh and .13/kwh

Mybeans, the specs you listed are the ratings of the bulbs themselves rated to the wattage of the bulb as it runs off the ballast. The actual power consumption of your lights is based on the amps used by the ballast not the wattage of the bulb as previously discussed. You pay for what the ballast consumes, not what the bulb generates. You get more lumens from the power you pay for with a 1000.

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
same holds true with your formula closetking

same holds true with your formula closetking

closet king, using your formula a 600 is still more efficient.

600: 5.7a x 120v =684w

1000: 9.5a x 120v =1140w

600: 90,000 lumens / 684w = 131.58 lpw

1000: 140,000 lumens / 1140w = 122.8 lpw

mea culpa,
I was basing my 600w calc on an older 600 a friend used to use, His pulled 6.2A. Transformer components have improved. And I'm using a 1000w hortilux which has 143K lumens.
Thanks for the clarification. 2 600's would be better than 1 1000
but may push a 15 A ckt a little close if not staggerd on.

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
no problem

no problem

my uncle is an electrician. he's the one that convinced me the 600's would be better for me. otherwise i would have never known.
the only drawback i've found is canopy penetration.
i used 8 air cooled 600s over a 12' x 6' on light rails to combat that problem. this lets me get them to within 8"of the canopy.

you were right on the older models though. they have definately come a long way in efficiency in the last few years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts