What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

making canna butter / hash butter

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well as there is a cool reggae gig coming up tomorrow i decided to make a batch of canna-butter/ hash-butter. the only thing i wasn't too sure on was the dosage factor. in the end i'm trying to get brownies that make the concert that bit more fun, without making them so strong that every one falls asleep.

so i started up with deciding the dose; took about 2 gs of 2nd grade 45 and 25, plus about 1 g of rubbish bubble (160+190) to add a bit of variation i added about 7 g of sd x cj trim to 150g of cooking butter.

ingredients:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

preparing the hash in my coffee grinder
picture.php

ground up bubble
picture.php

preparation: to stop it burning the butter i use water, lots of it. start cooking it and add the butter, once butter is melted into the water you can add your product, trim and hash in this case.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

adding the ground up bubble hash...
picture.php

at this point i decided to add a bit more trim, lol.
picture.php

simmering: to make sure that the flavor isn't too harsh i cook it for at least 3 hours at simmering temp, adding a glass of water to replace whats evaporating. i started at about 11.15 and ended the cooking at about 03.10 longer simmering makes less harsh taste in the butter and more active ingredients in the butter.

just started cooking after adding everything. coffee to keep me going
picture.php

first simmering pic...
picture.php

simmering...as time goes by, it gets darker...
picture.php
time goes on still bubbling away...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

straining: after it's cooked enough the liquid looks very dark, to get all the leaf and left over gunk out of it i used a clean kitchen cloth to strain it and press the last liquid out of it.
picture.php

strainer left overs...
picture.php

here the strained hot water and butter...
picture.php

cooling: at this point i took the jug with the left over water and melted butter and put it to cool in a sink of cold water. after about an hour it was cool enough to go in the fridge.
picture.php

finally, all done for tonight...
picture.php

can't wait to test this stuff :woohoo:

:wave:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
next day

next day

to finish up the last pics...

finished: next day you have the jug with a thick layer of butter right on top of the left over water, remove the butter and strain the water to catch any small bits of butter. then chuck the water away and use your butter for what ever.

picture.php

here you see the finished butter and the left over gunky water in the jug
picture.php

and what it's all about, the finished cannabis butter product, ready for making brownies or what ever. this batch will make about 16 pieces. we will see how well or bad i judged the dose after tomorrow night :)

picture.php

now i earned myself a :joint:

:wave:

D

DiiZZii3

Damn bro looks good. You gotta tell us how it turns out. Have fun at that Concert.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
well the concert was totally awesome, there was 5 bands and we were skanking away happily all the way through. mind you not all of us lol. the week end smokers in our company were a bit overwhelmed by just 1 brownie. i cut the tray into 16 pieces in the end. one guy who apparently has a very low tolerance grabbed one without hesitating even after being told of the contents. well a good hour or so later he is gone with 2 others, they needed to find a place to chill, lol. poor one guy ended up throwing up 3 times in a nearby park. some of the guys that needed the air too, took him to a place where he could sleep it off.

in the end i ate 2 and a half of them and i had a really good time, i was getting moments of like whoa, but never in an unpleasant way. TF and his wife ate 4 each over the whole night lol. just goes to show the difference in peoples tolerance. altogether a successful experiment. will be doing this again at the next opportune moment. well worth the 2.8g of bubble and the 7g of trim and i have a few pieces left lol.

peace out :wave:

That's awesome you had such good results with your butter....I started making my own butter with my trim and for the first time I started feeling pretty good effects....It seems like I need about 40g of mostly sugar trim for 2 sticks of butter to feel the effects. I guess the hash makes a big difference....wonder how much trim it would take to make 2.8g of hash?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
that hash must represent about 60 g of dry trim i guess, as i made the bubble with frozen fresh trim and i made more then just what i used for the butter so it's hard to be sure.

Last edited:

Ramius

Veteran
Great thread and pictures. I was thinking while reading, this is gonna be some potent butter lol

I bet it would have still been killer even without the trim added

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
it is amazing how little hash and trim cooked up in butter for brownies, can be too much for some people while other can easily enjoy 4x that amount. but i do think it's not a bad system to dose, i should have just told the light weights to eat only a half, while the rest of us will just eat 2 or 3 from the get go next time :)

Nickog

After many a batch, I decided that 2 oz of trim to 1 lb, (4-sticks) of butter was the perfect combo. After straining it, adding more water, heating and straining it again, cooling and dumping the water, each time I ended up with about 300 gms. I lose about 140gms of butter along the way. With the 300 gms left, one teaspoon, or 5 gms of butter is a dose that sends me and most people flying for about 8 hours. If I am making cookies, I do the math for each cookie-dose. If the recepie calls for a stick, or a half cup of butter, that is 114 gms. I make sure I get about 22 cookie of equal size. That way, i am sure how it will effect me.

joedude

it is amazing how little hash and trim cooked up in butter for brownies, can be too much for some people while other can easily enjoy 4x that amount. but i do think it's not a bad system to dose, i should have just told the light weights to eat only a half, while the rest of us will just eat 2 or 3 from the get go next time :)
Nice thread!
I must admit that butter is the best way to go when needed for Body pains.
I have found that adding other herbs or flavors to butter can help soften the flavor of the butter to better suit the edibles produced.

gr33nup

this really isnt butter its more closely related to clarified butter it looks like you probably removed a lot of moisture and butterfat this way thus losing flavor if you want to make real butter you should get heavy cream add what hash keif or what have you and either shake or mix away till its the consistency of butter

Snypette

Veteran
Hey G! Mmm looks yummy:yummy:Hmm this smily face text is yummy,, hah.
anyways.. i am very intrigued about what you said about simmering. I didn't know it made the taste not as KAPOW. I simmer my butter for a long time too but it still makes what ever i cook it with taste like weed. I was wondering if the longer you simmer it will it keep losing flavor and gaining potency? Or is there a cut off point where the potency or taste is affected in a bad way?

I just finished watering and the rooms are sweltering, snype is passed out (after affects from 4th of july) x] and I am reallyyy bored, so you have inspired me to make some choco chip cookies!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
After many a batch, I decided that 2 oz of trim to 1 lb, (4-sticks) of butter was the perfect combo. After straining it, adding more water, heating and straining it again, cooling and dumping the water, each time I ended up with about 300 gms. I lose about 140gms of butter along the way. With the 300 gms left, one teaspoon, or 5 gms of butter is a dose that sends me and most people flying for about 8 hours. If I am making cookies, I do the math for each cookie-dose. If the recepie calls for a stick, or a half cup of butter, that is 114 gms. I make sure I get about 22 cookie of equal size. That way, i am sure how it will effect me.

nice method you have there. it sure is good to know exactly what dose you need. to me that was the trickiest bit. don't want the portions to be so strong that folks are flat out on the floor, but also not so weak that you have to eat more then2 or 3 portions.

Nice thread!
I must admit that butter is the best way to go when needed for Body pains.
I have found that adding other herbs or flavors to butter can help soften the flavor of the butter to better suit the edibles produced.

to be honest my brownies ended up quite tastey to eat, not hard to eat at all. maybe it was the bubble hash that made for milder flavor. but even with a normal dose the taste is the strongest the shorter you simmer it.

this really isnt butter its more closely related to clarified butter it looks like you probably removed a lot of moisture and butterfat this way thus losing flavor if you want to make real butter you should get heavy cream add what hash keif or what have you and either shake or mix away till its the consistency of butter

sounds interesting. problem is the heating up of the trim, kief etc is what makes edibles so strong. if you just add it to a butter making process you will not get the most out of the product used.

in the end i don't really care if it is officially considered to be called butter after what i did to it, lol. but it's what we stoners call canna butter.

Hey G! Mmm looks yummy:yummy:Hmm this smily face text is yummy,, hah.
anyways.. i am very intrigued about what you said about simmering. I didn't know it made the taste not as KAPOW. I simmer my butter for a long time too but it still makes what ever i cook it with taste like weed. I was wondering if the longer you simmer it will it keep losing flavor and gaining potency? Or is there a cut off point where the potency or taste is affected in a bad way?

I just finished watering and the rooms are sweltering, snype is passed out (after affects from 4th of july) x] and I am reallyyy bored, so you have inspired me to make some choco chip cookies!

from what i read you guys use a rather big dose of of trim for your canna butter, and you are making it in large batches, so maybe that means you'd have to simmer it even longer to start getting the harsh taste out. like i mention my brownies were actually enjoyable to eat.

how did the cookies come out?

great butter man!!!!! :D
:good:

thanks man.

Snypette

Veteran
from what i read you guys use a rather big dose of of trim for your canna butter, and you are making it in large batches, so maybe that means you'd have to simmer it even longer to start getting the harsh taste out. like i mention my brownies were actually enjoyable to eat.

how did the cookies come out?
Yea we made 3 pounds last time and simmered it for 3 hours. How long did you simmer yours for?
I didn't even end up making them because snype woke up and didn't feel good from the heat, so i didn't want to make the house hotter with a 350 degree oven:shucks:
We went to buy an AC today and they were sold out . shit is drastic. we got 3 more fans though.
Gotta wait for the new shipment of AC's. :p

fred b

very good work gaius! ;)
i made some butter the other day, but just with sugar leaves. i wanted to take a medium dosage, but my gf poured a whole bag of leaves into the water/butter mixture. that was about 35grams for 250gram butter, simmer for 4-5hours. the next day, when it had cooled off, i took lunch break from work at home and thought i'd try the butter. it tasted way too strong, almost uneatable on a bread. and after finishing the piece of bread I couldn't get back to work anymore and had to call in sick ;)

so when i am actually gonna use the butter in brownies i've to mix it up with some normal butter or it's gonna kill people hehe

i also remember the first time we made butter and cookies, we wanted to hold a pool party, but the whole thing ended at 8pm because people got too buzzed.

and another time making hash brownies in amsterdam by just pouring all sorts of hash into a ready-to-bake dr.oetker muffins mix. tasted like bricks of hash and I got lost (literally lost) in a museum for 4 hours ;)

so yeah this stuff is potent!

greets
fred b.

Born-on-420

You’re losing butter due to water content in the butter. I’d bet your butter is harder and richer due to losing the water.

Ah what a great method, Ive been making it this way for years and where I'm from people say im crazy for putting the water and butter together untill they eat my cake/cookies, They are cured after 1 try and most of my buddies call my cake ''Coma cake'' haha! ;) somehow I have a high to it though sadly.. :( xD