What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

greek landrace strains

yoss33

Veteran
The Thracians certainly grew cannabis, as Herodotus himself tells us

I know of at least two other classical sources that refer to them smoking, one ritually and the other recreationally

That's interesting. I've never seen any references to the local ancients smoking. The museums are full of all kinds of artifacts (and drawings on pottery) related to wine, but smoking cannabis I haven't seen. Not a single pipe :)

also, the Balkans were home to large scale commercial cultivation of cannabis from at the latest the early 20th cent. when eradication efforts were stepped up in the Eastern med

I would say cannabis has given alcohol a run for its money as the Balkan's drug of choice

Hemp was grown on industrial scale in my country (Bulgaria) up to 1978. We still have lots of feral hemp around the fields. But this is hemp, which I don't think can be used to get you high in any ways. Do you think a special (drug) kind of cannabis was grown for getting high or the hemp one was used?
Btw, I have an old book with folk medicine, where "grusti" (an old local name for cannabis) is advised for epilepsy, skin rashes and all kinds of other illnesses, but the book says to use the seeds, not the buds. Maybe this is a left-over of older "true" knowledge of the effects of cannabis and its buds, not seed.

ngakpa

Veteran
hi -

from what I've read, the Thracians threw dope plants into the fire to get high and possibly also used braziers and tents as the Scythians did...

seed and fruit in the classical sources just mean the seeded female flowering tops, as it can only do, from the fact that they were doing it to get high, and are described in various states of wastedness - the Scythians "howl with delight", the Massagetae get drunk and fall asleep etc....

I guess the same is true of that old folk herbal

the Getae, who were Thracians, had shamans who may or may not have used censers, but certainly burned cannabis ritually... The Thracians were so off it they used to fire arrows into the sky when there were storms "because they recognised no God other than their own"

there are mid third millenum BCE braziers with charred cannabis seeds in them from Romania which belonged to an early Indo-European tribe... it seems to be a very old practice among Central Asian nomadic tribes, who seem to have brought drug plants with them across the Pontic Caspian steppe

I think early 20th century growers in Southeastern Europe must have been using drug plants, who would buy hem? it would be unsaleable - there's any number of possibilities for where they got seeds from - locally, from "mafia" - and where those seeds came from, genes ultimately from Turkey, Greece, Egypt, local, god knows...

I smoked some pretty strong Serbian grass in the '90s - seedless, outdoor grown... it was stronger than the skunk the same guy also had for sale... the guy said it was Serbian, but I don't know if it was a Serbian strain... it didn't seem obviously Dutch

BEC

From my point of view .... as an events happened in the history, I think that Greece does not have a native variety (except for that one race that foreigners were planted in his day, then it is a Landrace ...)

I advocate that if a and speck there, may have come from 3 different regions oe even come from more than one region: Eastern Europe, Africa or East (Turkey, etc).

Greetings.:wave:

orfeas

Veteran

Hi mate!
never had the luck to look at a living plant back then...sativa genetics for sure...yet I can't forget the mind-blowing effect and getting lost when clubbing...oh those were the days...

You ought to cherish those seeds, compatriot!

:tiphat:Orfeas

delicorganic

Hi mate!
never had the luck to look at a living plant back then...sativa genetics for sure...yet I can't forget the mind-blowing effect and getting lost when clubbing...oh those were the days...

You ought to cherish those seeds, compatriot!

:tiphat:Orfeas

thanks for the answer,the high of this strain it's absolutely what you described-"mind-blowing effect".
clones from this strain are safer due to the high ratio of hermies, kopiase compatriot..:tiphat:

Ollie

Veteran
A good litterature to read upon in this context, historically, is: "Hashish: A Smuggler's Tale" by Henry De Monfreid

baduy

Monfreid's log book.

Monfreid's log book.

Hi
If you can get your hands on this one he gives reports about two hachich smugglings he did in his time, one was haschich from greece he went seeking in the mountain (can't remember which area, I'll try to find this book it must be somewhere) and another was from a caravan which brought to the sea shore charas said to come from Yarkand chinese turkestan.
As a good smuggler he tested his merchandise himself eating a small nut and his reports show that while the greek haschich gave him a very light and mellow high, he had the worst paranoid/psychedelic experiment with the Charras from Xinjiang (although I would rather believe the caravan originated from Xinjiang with other goods and did some shopping on the way by the Hindu Kush) His comment the morning after was roughly "I nearly died last night, this haschich from China is a hundred times more potent that the one I prviously bought in Greece"

ctg

Veteran
That looks real nice delicorganic! Have always wanted to go to Greece and see where my family came from. Also wondered about the quality of the cannabis. Have heard it can be awesome. Your pics looks pretty tasty!

kaochiu

Veteran
Hi
If you can get your hands on this one he gives reports about two hachich smugglings he did in his time, one was haschich from greece he went seeking in the mountain (can't remember which area, I'll try to find this book it must be somewhere) and another was from a caravan which brought to the sea shore charas said to come from Yarkand chinese turkestan.
As a good smuggler he tested his merchandise himself eating a small nut and his reports show that while the greek haschich gave him a very light and mellow high, he had the worst paranoid/psychedelic experiment with the Charras from Xinjiang (although I would rather believe the caravan originated from Xinjiang with other goods and did some shopping on the way by the Hindu Kush) His comment the morning after was roughly "I nearly died last night, this haschich from China is a hundred times more potent that the one I prviously bought in Greece"

He also says (by the time the book was written)that every vineyard in Greece used to be a cannabis field up to the 1st WW, and the people owning them took as much pride in their product as they do with the wine. I'm not getting into what's a landrace, but surely Greece must have had some very exclusive cultivars.
The lot was exported to Egypt, until the english managed to forbid growing hemp in Greece and smoking in Egypt, making a mint in the meantime trading indian hemp, much easier and cheaper to obtain.
A real character, that Monfreid, he was the Mr Nice of his time.

baduy

Yeah. Smuggling charas illegally on a sailing dhow without engine (rigging and sails made of hemp) and a small cannon on the desk that's pretty ballsy.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those buds look and sound divine delicorganic. I wonder if there are any really good Greek strains to be had from seed banks.

delicorganic

Those buds look and sound divine delicorganic. I wonder if there are any really good Greek strains to be had from seed banks.

thanks yesum!they are unique,believe me..
As for the greek strains i don't think so..i never found anything out there and i also wonder why not?

Last edited: