What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Haze at the moment?

oldbootz

Veteran
mr. nice afghan haze has some awsome phenos , i have never been dissappointed with afghan haze ,mr nice la nina is also promising, I found a la nina pheno that was unique in the smell and high,leathery/relaxed with a expansive head high, have grown mango haze, nev haze multiple times and prefer afghan haze and la nina

Thanks for this. I have seen other people saying the same thing about the Afghan Haze.

OregonBorn

Just can't see the hype with it most hazes I've smoked have been low to mediocre on my things to grow list

Agreed. Also which Haze is Haze? "Original" Haze was highly variable from year to year in NorCal. Mexi + 'lombo, *THE* original. Then re-crossed with 'lombo. 2nd gen Haze. Then crossed with Thai. 3rd gen Haze. Then crossed with south Indian Ganja? 4th gen Haze. Then supposedly crossed with Jamaican? 5th gen Haze. Then it was reportedly packed off and worked in Holland.

oldbootz

Veteran
Hi OregonBorn. I am no expert by far. But I don't think when we talk about haze that we can talk about plants from the areas where the original parentage came from and think that its the same thing. When individuals from a seed group are collected for breeding they are usually special in some way. At the same time seed populations are changing genetics year by year.

The original haze when it was created was most probably made from some special individual plants that you would not easily find. And if you tried to reproduce it it would come out differently with different parents from the same areas.

So when "I" myself am talking about haze, I'm talking about any plants that have been inbred from the original haze bros population (however different it may be now to how it was in the beginning).

Knowing how easily genetics diverge when inbreeding populations its quite sensible to say that the haze now is not the same as the haze back then unless its seed that's been properly saved from those times as Sam has been known to do. But I still think there must be some fire to be found!

OregonBorn

Well, when it comes to Haze, the word 'overworked' comes to mind. Again, the "original Haze" line was progressive and highly variable, even within the Haze Bros line, so 'original' does not really mean anything with Haze, IMO. Case in point, which year of NorCal Haze cross was used and bred for the later Amsterdam generations, now called "Original Haze?" It was (and remains) a moving target.

The early strains of Haze were not inbred, they were out bred every year in the early years with Mexican, Colombian, Indian Ganja, Thai, Jamaican, etc. Each year the Haze line would have been vastly different, and have successively higher variability within each year. The more you toss into the cross, the more variable the outcome. Haze was a complete sativa mutt created from seeds from bag weed that was available in NorCal at the time. So IMO Haze can be just about any generic sativa. There is simply no benchmark for Haze. Yes, they were worked and crossed and stabilized in Holland later on, and given names such as Super Silver Haze and the like. But "Haze" can be virtually any sativa.

Which brings up a few valid points that a lot of people have been posting about lately. The Amsterdam and NorCal crosses are 1) being distributed around the world and replacing landraces 2) the modern crosses are becoming one giant generic hybrid strain, with Haze, sour something, a heavy dose of skunk, some purple, blue or white strains, some unkown worked Afghan from NorCal, a toss of Durban, a little cheese or bubblegum for flavor, and some re-re-re-re worked multi-inbred OG/Chem/Diesel strain. Not to mention feminized, and then auto'd and hemp'd for a touch of CBD. Haze and OG whatever are good examples of what has happened with Cannabis, as landraces and early heirlooms become extinct. In the end, these nebulous generic strains have replaced distinct and unique lines.

Last edited:

hazefreak

Ive seen, smelt and smoked many hazes over the years what was once called super silver years ago is now ammnesia, so many renames and hybrids I cant keep up tastes changed cuts change.

To many new super hybrids that are cluster fuks! in my opinion theres to much time running those original hazes looking for phenos im suew they're completely different from what youd expect.

Going back to the old school you'll find better selections in seeds like sk/hz, afgan haze and nl5/hz then selecting your best mothers for smell and a similar male for f2 seeds containing those traits.

Stan G.

I have experienced the finest cannabis on earth, Purple Haze.
Been searching for the right pheno since then, to no avail.
Nothing I have found, compares to the Racy high and taste, and nothing else has that ability to get me higher with each toke. May these next Purple Haze Beans unlock the long lost love of my life.

growingcrazy

After running Haze seeds from numerous breeders, different hybrids leaning towards the haze side...I would pick up some packs of Malawi from Ace.

14 weeks and You will have one of the best highs available in seed form.

HolyGrailP

I'm a big fan of super silver haze and was looking for ssh seeds.
I heard ssh from Relentless Genetics is f4 of old Mr Nice ssh seed stock. Might be worth for haze seekers? I def want to try this one :)

bigherb

Veteran
This reads like a thread from 08

Soo much misinformation on Haze

Read my Questions for Sams on OHaze thread (especially later post from 2011 and on) , read my True Origins of Haze article . They are both the best source of Haze info to date

Santa Cruz Original Haze is/was Pure Colombian Punto Rojo

1luvbigherb

HolyGrailP

Hi bigherb,
I just check the thread and it is indeed a helpful thread, especially SamS' golden info. :)
Thx for the tip. ;)
By the way, if u don't mind may I ask what is Santa Cruz Original Haze?

bigherb

Veteran
Hi bigherb,
I just check the thread and it is indeed a helpful thread, especially SamS' golden info. :)
Thx for the tip. ;)
By the way, if u don't mind may I ask what is Santa Cruz Original Haze?

Check post 1007 in that thread

1luvbigherb

HolyGrailP

Check post 1007 in that thread

1luvbigherb

Thanks for indicating the location :tiphat::tiphat:
It is the most detailed Haze information, I had ever seen.
If I'm not bothering u, may I ask u one more thing? I'm bit confusing genetic of Original Haze. Does backcrossed Colombia Punto Rojo bagseeds means, the grower in SoCal grew Colombia Punto Rojo then backcross the progeny from bagseeds to what he grew?
Thanks again for the great article. ;)
:tiphat:

bigherb

Veteran
Thanks for indicating the location :tiphat::tiphat:
It is the most detailed Haze information, I had ever seen.
If I'm not bothering u, may I ask u one more thing? I'm bit confusing genetic of Original Haze. Does backcrossed Colombia Punto Rojo bagseeds means, the grower in SoCal grew Colombia Punto Rojo then backcross the progeny from bagseeds to what he grew?
Thanks again for the great article. ;)
:tiphat:

Glad you enjoyed it , a lot of efforts went in to that article . That is the True Origin . Spread the truth

To your question, Exactly

1luvbigherb

HolyGrailP

Glad you enjoyed it , a lot of efforts went in to that article . That is the True Origin . Spread the truth

To your question, Exactly

1luvbigherb

ahhhh that makes me more interesting to me. Do not have enough experience with the history of genetics and thread things yet, but this was the best thread I have ever seen.
Thanks alott :)
:tiphat::tiphat::tiphat::tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
After running Haze seeds from numerous breeders, different hybrids leaning towards the haze side...I would pick up some packs of Malawi from Ace.

14 weeks and You will have one of the best highs available in seed form.

G `day GC

Malawi high is not like the haze high .
Can`t compare the two . Haze is popular the world over for a reason .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Happy Times