What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Panama x Malawi - limited edition

MaryMaven

What a difference 11 days can make!

Her top at day 37 since flip:

picture.php

Day 48:

picture.php

:)

Tangwena

Veteran
looks like she will get huge fat and obese with any luck, get some big macs in her ha ha

TheFertilizer

I REALLY screwed up my soil mix. I recycled 18 gallons from my last harvest with the Panama x Malawi, and put that in 3 gallon pots, and those plants under a T5. Just a little 200 w one, and they're doing great. I mean, they're spindly like you'd expect, but nice healthy turgor pressur, good green color in the leaves. They're even praying and putting on some good sized buds now for being under a T5. Impressive to say the least.

But then there's the dud soil mix... These are in 5 gallon pots, under a 315 W CMH Philips ColorMaster. The one in the upper-left is my Panama x Malawi #3 and the one under that is the Panama x Malawi #5. I had found #5 to be much more tolerant to over fertilization, so I think that might be what's going on here because of the way I mixed up the soil. It's a long story, but short of it is I totally screwed up. At first I thought I just killed my soil biology and it was a pH lockout, but I tried feeding with EarthJuice nutrients ( feeding the plant directly ) and things just got WORSE, so I think it's too much fertility. I'm hoping as they start flowering they will tolerate it better, and as you can see I'm running out of room to veg them and wait for it to correct itself.

Also running 11/13 this time to see how that changes things. I've heard it should make equatorial sativas finish flower faster?

The one thing about these plants is that I took the clones off my last harvest at about 4 weeks into flower, so they had to reveg, and they "monster cropped" (you can see the insane branching). I'm wondering if this insane branching is perhaps some of the reason they're doing so poorly, like maybe they just don't know what the heck is going on being reveg'd.

Anyway not much I can really do about it, but I figured I'd report this little experience. I read that the panama x malawi isn't a particularly heavy feeder in general, so I feel like I made this soil too rich for it. :(

***The long explanation on the soil***
I started off making a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite and EWC. I accidentally added WAY too much amendments, and had 18 gallons of this super rich stuff that basically torched clones you'd plant into it. So I had to cut it down, and to do so I basically made the same 1:1:1 ratio mix but with no amendments, and way extra perlite because it was so soggy, and I ended up with a mix that was about 20% ewc, 30% peat moss and 50% perlite and it had great numbers on a soil analysis test--it's what I grew the last harvest in and recycled into these 3 gallon pots.

So anyway, I ran out of it, and had these 5 gallon pots, and a bunch of that super rich soil left over, along with some Sunshine Mix #4 (this is what I used as my "peat moss") and so I added 3 gallons of Sunshine Mix #4 to every 1 gallon of that rich-mix I had. But no EWC this time.

Without really knowing for sure if it's a microbe issue or a fertility issue or both, I'm just kind of calling it "screwed up", as it's clearly not doing so great. I have a feeling the lack of EWC has a big part in it, but also think it's probably too fertile from the original mix.

Phew! Did you read all that? Yeah, so, that's how I screwed that up.

MaryMaven

I REALLY screwed up my soil mix. I recycled 18 gallons from my last harvest with the Panama x Malawi, and put that in 3 gallon pots, and those plants under a T5. Just a little 200 w one, and they're doing great. I mean, they're spindly like you'd expect, but nice healthy turgor pressur, good green color in the leaves. They're even praying and putting on some good sized buds now for being under a T5. Impressive to say the least.

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76305&pictureid=1830823" target="_blank">View Image

But then there's the dud soil mix... These are in 5 gallon pots, under a 315 W CMH Philips ColorMaster. The one in the upper-left is my Panama x Malawi #3 and the one under that is the Panama x Malawi #5. I had found #5 to be much more tolerant to over fertilization, so I think that might be what's going on here because of the way I mixed up the soil. It's a long story, but short of it is I totally screwed up. At first I thought I just killed my soil biology and it was a pH lockout, but I tried feeding with EarthJuice nutrients ( feeding the plant directly ) and things just got WORSE, so I think it's too much fertility. I'm hoping as they start flowering they will tolerate it better, and as you can see I'm running out of room to veg them and wait for it to correct itself.

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=76305&pictureid=1830822" target="_blank">View Image

Also running 11/13 this time to see how that changes things. I've heard it should make equatorial sativas finish flower faster?

The one thing about these plants is that I took the clones off my last harvest at about 4 weeks into flower, so they had to reveg, and they "monster cropped" (you can see the insane branching). I'm wondering if this insane branching is perhaps some of the reason they're doing so poorly, like maybe they just don't know what the heck is going on being reveg'd.

Anyway not much I can really do about it, but I figured I'd report this little experience. I read that the panama x malawi isn't a particularly heavy feeder in general, so I feel like I made this soil too rich for it. :(

***The long explanation on the soil***
I started off making a 1:1:1 ratio of peat moss, perlite and EWC. I accidentally added WAY too much amendments, and had 18 gallons of this super rich stuff that basically torched clones you'd plant into it. So I had to cut it down, and to do so I basically made the same 1:1:1 ratio mix but with no amendments, and way extra perlite because it was so soggy, and I ended up with a mix that was about 20% ewc, 30% peat moss and 50% perlite and it had great numbers on a soil analysis test--it's what I grew the last harvest in and recycled into these 3 gallon pots.

So anyway, I ran out of it, and had these 5 gallon pots, and a bunch of that super rich soil left over, along with some Sunshine Mix #4 (this is what I used as my "peat moss") and so I added 3 gallons of Sunshine Mix #4 to every 1 gallon of that rich-mix I had. But no EWC this time.

Without really knowing for sure if it's a microbe issue or a fertility issue or both, I'm just kind of calling it "screwed up", as it's clearly not doing so great. I have a feeling the lack of EWC has a big part in it, but also think it's probably too fertile from the original mix.

Phew! Did you read all that? Yeah, so, that's how I screwed that up.

Yep, read it. Not much else to do out here in the middle of nowhere on a Dreary Sunday Afternoon. :D

TheFertilizer, sorry you are having such a rough go of it with this round. :comfort:

I am no expert at ALL, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once...that doesn't look like nutrient burn to me, at least as well as I can see the pics. I don't see any burnt ends/edges. It looks more like a deficiency, perhaps even from lockout? Sulfur deficiency, perhaps? That's one of the nutes that gets overlooked a lot...

Have you tried flushing them really, really well, and then once they dry just a bit hitting them with a regular dose of pH'd water with general nutrients that has plenty of both macro and micro nutes?

Like I said, I'm NOT anywhere near an expert...so take everything I say with a HUGE grain of salt. :) If I thought they were so far gone I had nothing left to lose, I'd probably unpot them, rinse them gently down to clean roots, then repot them in some clean medium that wasn't 'hot' and see what happened. Can't hurt, might help if they seem like a loss anyway.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution soon!

Peace
Maven

TheFertilizer

Yep, read it. Not much else to do out here in the middle of nowhere on a Dreary Sunday Afternoon. :D

TheFertilizer, sorry you are having such a rough go of it with this round. :comfort:

I am no expert at ALL, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once...that doesn't look like nutrient burn to me, at least as well as I can see the pics. I don't see any burnt ends/edges. It looks more like a deficiency, perhaps even from lockout? Sulfur deficiency, perhaps? That's one of the nutes that gets overlooked a lot...

Have you tried flushing them really, really well, and then once they dry just a bit hitting them with a regular dose of pH'd water with general nutrients that has plenty of both macro and micro nutes?

Like I said, I'm NOT anywhere near an expert...so take everything I say with a HUGE grain of salt. :) If I thought they were so far gone I had nothing left to lose, I'd probably unpot them, rinse them gently down to clean roots, then repot them in some clean medium that wasn't 'hot' and see what happened. Can't hurt, might help if they seem like a loss anyway.

Good luck, I hope you find a solution soon!

Peace
Maven

Yeah I don't have too many close-ups of the leaves, but they're burned. But honestly since I'm using organic, water-only soil it's a lot different for me. The fact that they're burned at all means there is a lot of nutrients in there, but my other mix is very rich as well and it's serving the plants in the T5 just fine, and it did my last harvest pretty well.

Here's on of the girls under my T5 in the soil recycled from my last harvest. You can see some of the burn on those tips but can also see a dramatic difference in overall health.

I agree it looked sulfur deficient, but the problem is that when I tried feeding EarthJuice bottled nutrients with pH adjusted water, the plants just got worse. That's why I think there's some kind of issue with too much fertilization, but combined with not enough microbial life, because I know that the key difference is a lack of earth worm castings.

I modeled my soil mix after Clackmas Coot's. He's a pretty well-known member here, and his recipe is intended to be used with plain water only, with no pH adjusting. It works really well when mixed up right.

Flushing in my circumstances could be a drastic measure gone wrong because the whole premise is to use the living soil the do everything, so if I flushed with pH adjusted water and it didn't help things out then I would basically have killed my soil biota and then would be stuck using bottled nutrients the rest of the way through--which maybe not a bad thing but I'm just not sure it would actually work that way or if other problems would spring up.

I'm going to wait and see how it plays out as they begin to flower. They're still very yellow looking but overall are very healthy and vigorous. I want to see what the flowers do before I leap to any drastic measures.

Attachments

• cannalgesico5
    cannalgesico5
    40.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180313_053337.jpg
    IMG_20180313_053337.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 37

TheFertilizer

Ah, gotcha - I see the tips now :)

Well, I sure hope you are able to get it straightened out, good luck! :)

Thanks, yours are looking really good so far. I'm just bummed because I was hoping to see what a difference the CMH light I got made in the strain versus HPS, but the ones under the CMH light are the ones I messed up so it will be kind of a unfair comparison.

This strain has such amazing terpene profiles, I was so excited to see how the increased UV changed things. Looks like you've got an LED there? I wonder how it would taste under one of those.

I really want to try this outdoors, but kind of concerned about how big they will get under a full sun. I'm imagining huge 16 ft tall sativa beasts lol

Malarky

Hi

I've three of these going, two in soil and one in a Bubble bucket.
The one in bubbler is one of the lightest feeders I've ever had, nearly nine weeks flower and the sweet spot is only 550ppm with ionic notes, beautiful plants. Serious resin production and buds the size of cricket balls.
Went and bought another four packs incase they run out,good luck with your grows.

Peace.

TheFertilizer

Hi

I've three of these going, two in soil and one in a Bubble bucket.
The one in bubbler is one of the lightest feeders I've ever had, nearly nine weeks flower and the sweet spot is only 550ppm with ionic notes, beautiful plants. Serious resin production and buds the size of cricket balls.
Went and bought another four packs incase they run out,good luck with your grows.

Peace.

I think it's got amazing flavor too. Two of the five I grew had this awesome pistaschio hint to the smoke. Hopefully you leave me some more to order :p

nksv

Gotta chime in here and say what a special strain this is. I don't know what it is but it's become a bit of finding a holy grail strain. This strain seems to work on an astral level! Mental healer and spirit cleanser. I've been going through lots of strains of late and this is definitely one of the best smokes I've come across. I have a huge jar of this and Zamaldelica (which is also my favourite). Huzzah!

Last edited:

Ncali

Veteran
Gotta chime in here and say what a special strain this is. I don't know what it is but it's become a bit of finding a hold grail strain. This strain seems to work on an astral level! Mental healer and spirit cleanser. I've been going through lots of strains of late and this is definitely one of the best smokes I've come across. I have a huge jar of this and Zamaldelica (which is also my favourite). Huzzah!

That's what I've been sayin'...

Sticky Sat

Great looking plants Nksv ! :) Have 3 seeds of these but my garden is crowded right now and i'd rather wait for the end of the rainy season. I hope they'll be nice like yours... ;-)

Last edited:

nksv

I have to order more, I knew it would be a solid strain but for me it's next level but, alas, I didn't keep her. She did amazing - biggest yeilder for me and incredible smoke; like bowing down to her majestic influence on your brain. haha. Oh and the terps! woah!

I kinda of thought I had messed up as I had read that the Malawi/Panama was more potent etc..so I was a little disappointed that perhaps, when I ordered, I had made a mistake. A very good mistake.

Malarky

Have to agree nksv,
I think in my limited opinion that Dubhi is making a mistake with a limited edition.
Got to put up some pics.

Serious production, I've never seen buds like this, so easy to grow with the odd herm = 1/15 and a tri leaf lanky expression,easy to spot 20 week girl, probably interstellar but the risk with space inside.

I think someone says they need a proper cure,definitely!!
Top shelf as has been said the quality of effect.

Thanks Dubi.

Koondense

Veteran
Huzzah people!
It's with great happiness i can say my Panama x Malawi survived the transplant and is now shooting new growth towards the artificial sky, vegging for a few weeks more.
There will be a new thread for her and her "relative" PCKgreen x Panama goddess I'm testing.

I guess the 'limited edition' lable is temoorary, until there are more tests and reports out. The parental plants are always available so I don't see any limitation why this hybrid couldnt be part of the standard catalogue. Just a thought.

Cheers

nksv

I had a couple of days of the toke and went back to the P/M and doubled my in take. Woah. Umm..haha. It went next level. Took me way out of my comfort zone but also didn't allow the fear to kick in. More like, you got this dude, let's goooooooooo! She certainly packs a punch. Thing I have noticed are the effects the following day/days. A new clarity and lightness of being. Really positive strain. Yeah, I hope these are around for a bit!

Latest posts

Latest posts