What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

ost

Few days further and I noticed the cob already shrinked quite a bit. So I decided to open the vacbag to re-vacuum the cob.

It did have a very nice smell, sweet flowery with some maize on the background. It did have a slight sour smell to it, so I guess there is something fermenting, but not quite there yet. It also did not really sweat on the outside yet.

I read the cobs have to be "sickly sweet" and decarboxilated, so I guess you really need some serious heat to do it properly?

Temps here are at most 25 C (77 F). So the idea is to kickstart the process by heating the cob for a day "eau bain marie". However, I read mixed stories ranging from 40 C (104 F) under the sun and 80 C (176 F) in hot composting goatdong.

What would be the best temperature to aim for, without killing the microbiological life in the cob?

I also don't want to overdo it, because I really like to preserve the great smells it currently has.

Or would it be better to be patient and can the same effects be achieved over longer times on lower temps?
somthing i tried was seedling heat mat ,you have to watch, things closer heat and sweat wise !

Last edited:

Asentrouw

somthing i tried was seedling heat mat ,you have to watch, things closer heat and sweat wise !

We have a small heatwave here now with temps rising up to about 30 C. I put it in a shed which heats up under the sun.

The cob already shrinked quite a bit in the beginning, but nothing more to see after that.

But with the heat this week the fermentation seems slowly but surely to take off (atleast I hope so). The cobs seems to start sweating. I'll open it up in about a week to have a smell and to check it out.

I think that once you have a nice microherd in the cob, it doesn't really matter too much if the temps fluctuate or drop. It will probably only slow the process down, which doesn't have to be a bad thing. But we'll see.

Last edited:

BumSplodgeBrownPants

What did you use to make that last pic?
I used this one...

FUJIFILM_FinePix X100_3984448-3992916554.jpeg

It's a cross of mine, Blues x Pine Tar Gush.

That grow I had to chop and get dry ASAP thanks to a neighbour issue (and a bit of paranoia on my part). I hunted for a solution and discovered this thread.
So I hung for 2 days and managed to cob the lot in a morning.

I've been curing a plant or two here and there ever since.

cobs4.jpg
cobs.jpg
cobs111.jpg

I've not really got into the chewing of it, I do prefer a tincture in overproof rum under the tongue for them kind of hits, but I'll give it a go again soon.

BumSplodgeBrownPants

yo men, how the hell you get these colors ? in what temps do you sweat the bud and for how long ?
very nice cobs
The colours are just what colour the plants are I think.

I sweat mine in a dehydrator at 40*C for 24hours, dab dry, reseal and in a tub in tub waterbath for a week at 25-30*C.
I give them an hour in the dehydrator then to dry them a bit, then reseal and repeat every 7 days until they're done. Takes about 4 weeks, then reseal and into the fridge for 12 months. Then they go into the jar.

I've even started vac sealing my dried flower too and slinging into the fridge until my jars need topping up. The bud don't look pretty but it sure does what it's meant too.

Tangwena

Veteran
I used this one...

View attachment 18887566

That grow I had to chop and get dry ASAP thanks to a neighbour issue (and a bit of paranoia on my part). I hunted for a solution and discovered this thread.

View attachment 18887571 View attachment 18887572 View attachment 18887573

I've not really got into the chewing of it, I do prefer a tincture in overproof rum under the tongue for them kind of hits, but I'll give it a go again soon.
Nice! collection brother pandoras box of effects nodoubt.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Nope, tried chewing it again and after 10 mins it makes me retch. :puke::pointlaug

I'm alright tucking it in my cheek, but as soon as I squish it with my teeth.... Oooooooh boy. Lol.
It's true some cobs taste better than others and it's a bit of an acquired taste.

The darker cobs are not to pleasant but the flavour of some are fantastic. 😍

Mrs DM and myself absolutely love it, but our daughter gags and much prefers to smoke it.

ost

I used this one...

View attachment 18887566

View attachment 18887571 View attachment 18887572 View attachment 18887573

never thought about a tincture and i have shine handy,hmm!

Tangwena

Veteran
never thought about a tincture and i have shine handy,hmm!
If you like tinctures try extraction from cured cob the oil can be amazingly potent compared to oil from the same flower.
When I smoked I prefered cob oil with ground up cob of the same plant.
Couple of drags and its enough.
The oil ingested was way to strong and hard to get the dose right but as a tincture would have been easier to dose had I known.

Tangwena

Veteran
It's true some cobs taste better than others and it's a bit of an acquired taste.

The darker cobs are not to pleasant but the flavour of some are fantastic. 😍

Mrs DM and myself absolutely love it, but our daughter gags and much prefers to smoke it.
I'm a dedicated herbivore these days just love the taste and smell of cob cured herb.
But then I always chewed any stalks I found when making joints.

sneezydog

Wipe with alchohol, or peroxide probably and let dry a bit. That is a large looking cob, that might be a bit on the wet side. The smallet longer style of cob is easier for me to control the moisture loss.
I bet yours is fine, especially if it was vac sealed. If it puffs up with water vapor after sweat i make sure to open, dry to touch on the outside of the cob or more and reseal.
What i really like about corn husk or banana bark is that it absorbs this extra moisture and slowly releases it unlike just herb in a vac sealed bag. The vac bag is not needed, but if its used the bark still helps to regulate moisture. But if you use the bag it still needs to be checked more than without, in my opinion. Funkyhorse has my full attention on this. Although i still like rolled logs instead of bricks, personally. If the edges can dry super slowly, that mold could never exist.

Latest posts

Latest posts