What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Like garlic just as much as I like garlic bud!!

captain planet

Veteran
We also tried chets Italian, with pretty poor results. (softneck). German seems like it would be a harder pusher! Love that funk!

S

SeaMaiden

I'm still swingin' that garlic (and shallot) bat. Didn't do very well the first year.

Is yours really supah-stinky? It's gotta be supah-stinky. And sticky, too.

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
Used about 1/3 of our garden plot for garlic. I planted them a little later than I would have liked but here's to hoping that they come up! I did hardneck Italian & German and softneck Spanish white.

captain planet

Veteran
I get about 90 bulbs out of a 2 x 8 raised box. This will be my third season, but first year we planted our best from last year!!! Plant the best, eat the rest!
Hang in there sea maiden you will get it and never look back!

captain planet

Veteran
Oh yeah the Chesnok red is stinky and sticky with nice heat, I'd like to get some really hot and stinky ones to add..........ps I'm planting early nov, for mid summer harvest

quinoa64

Man, I love me some fresh garlic shoots, aka garlic scapes.

Chop them up and use instead of basil to make pesto. Unbelievably tasty springtime treat.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Russian Purple

Russian Purple

I can't say enough good things about garlic and its health benefits. Anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, lowers cholesterol and blood pressure, and helps breathing if you have asthma.

Russian Purple is my favorite. It's a tiny bit milder, and adds beaucoup flavor to pasta sauces, and just about anything else.

picture.php
[/IMG]

I also use Russian Red garlic, which is stronger, hotter and spicier than purple. It's great to add to soups like chicken, lentil, and bean.

Living la vida garlic,

RMS

:smoweed:

S

SeaMaiden

Man, I love me some fresh garlic shoots, aka garlic scapes.

Chop them up and use instead of basil to make pesto. Unbelievably tasty springtime treat.

Really, you eat the scapes? I let my garlic and shallot go to flower, have scapes all over the place but never thought to eat them, kept them for seeding. I figure if I spread enough seed, maybe someday I'll find some wild shallot or garlic growing on the property.

S

SeaMaiden

They attract SO MANY pollinators, too! Unbelievable how many bugs garlic/shallot scapes and carrot umbels attract. Yes, they're pretty, IMO, too.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
garlic needs a few weeks at temps near freezing in order to bulb up properly.

best to plant it in october or november so it has a long cold spell in the ground and longer to root and grow.

a nice mulch of wood ash really helps to feed it and keep the rust away.

garlc also adapts fairly quickly so if you plant you own from the year before for a few seasons it will adapt to your conditions and get better.

it keeps really well but as things start to warm up in spring you should put some bulbs in the fridge or they will all go soft as they try to grow again.

VG

g0vnaa

ICE Cream eater
Veteran
I do like garlic in my food.
My friends also like it when after a meal I go out to chit chat with them :biggrin:

lost in a sea

Lifer
Veteran
also the sulferous compounds in garlic are anti cancer/tumorigenic, as well as having numerous other health benefits,, some of the same ones are in onions..

if you smack your garlic up so to speak when growing they stink, the smell is partly a defense mechanism.. garlics are most potent when grown in cooler climes..