What's new

bat house over compost pile

shmalphy

Veteran
I am planning on building a bat house over my compost pile. I saw one the other day and it has no bottom, and a pile of guano builds up under it. Why not, right? Has anyone else thought of this?
BATHOUSE-small.JPG

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
we have 10 of those, i mostly like them for the mosquito eating purpose.

S

SeaMaiden

I love that idea! I'm behind on my Acres, USA reading and am on an article about bats and bat-houses.

If only they ate aphids!

Bennyweed1

Veteran
I just ordered one! This is an awesome idea....I read that if you place fresh bat guano under the house it will bait them in sooner. Some people report it taking a year to home bats. Thats a long time for some rent free area to get settled on. Placing it over a compost pile is a great idea too!

I think bats are pretty damn cute personally and goofy looking.

shmalphy

Veteran
I was really excited when I thought of it. I put my old soil there, which contains guano, maybe that will help. I figure it's worth a shot. They say sunny locations are the best because they like to stay warm in the day while they sleep. Some of them are cute but some are ugly little bastards.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i find the benefit from having bats around to be more than worth it, one bat can eat thousands of mosquitoes in one night, every night.

shmalphy

Veteran
So if a mosquito bites me, then a bat eats it, then poops in my compost, then I feed that to my plants, then the plant is eating my blood, and then I will eat the plant and the nutrient cycle begins again. Pretty cool.

h.h.

Veteran
So if a mosquito bites me, then a bat eats it, then poops in my compost, then I feed that to my plants, then the plant is eating my blood, and then I will eat the plant and the nutrient cycle begins again. Pretty cool.
By a few degrees of separation when we eat we eat ourselves and when we shit we're shitting ourselves.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
collect guano regularly during spring/summer months from slats off barn.........best to wear a mask when disturbing as don't want in lungs.....

ganj on..............

G

greenmatter

does anyone know anything about the types of wood that bats do or don't like? would building them out of aged barn wood make the bats move in faster? is there anything on the inside for the bats to hang on?...... links?

GrowbagUK

Nice idea. I'm going to try put one up myself now.

You should have a better chance of bats moving in if you provide a cluster of boxes which face different directions. The range of exposure to the sun will give the bats a few options and they will choose the box which has the best temperature range for breeding.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
does anyone know anything about the types of wood that bats do or don't like? would building them out of aged barn wood make the bats move in faster? is there anything on the inside for the bats to hang on?...... links?

ours are like the one in the first post, the inside we use old shade cloth stapled to the walls. this gives them something to climb and grab on. one other thing they like is for the bottom part to extend down some so they have a "landing pad" and then crawl up into the bat box.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
Somewhat of a side note as well. I heard in certain areas certain land owners (farmers) or others buy these bat boxes for a decent amount. Some people have made a killing building and posting this up on properties.

I haven't researched WHY they are paying so much for something that seems so simple to make BUT I think they are paying for the results which odds are is the removal of whatever pest or bug the land owner is trying to rid.

Either way bats might be a great market to get into. You can use them as pest control, make guana to use/sell as well as overall making your property/land more fertile just with them pooping in the general area. Then if there is a real market building these bat boxes then there is even more $$$$

I can't wait to build some up. I was thinking of using a burlap type material or even hemp material to use for their "Crawl up" material. Any thoughts on what would be best for outdoor and LAST for a good amount of time?

S

SeaMaiden

I honestly think it's overthinking the situation. Bats manage to climb up rock inside caves, why do they need something to hang onto? They can stick to rough-hewn wood pretty darn well.

shmalphy

Veteran
I honestly think it's overthinking the situation. Bats manage to climb up rock inside caves, why do they need something to hang onto? They can stick to rough-hewn wood pretty darn well.
If it's rough hewn, that's fine I think but if you have plywood or luan it might be too slippery for them. Just like how people can scale a rock wall, but not a plywood one.