What's new

Soil Question

supherbb

Normally I run LC's Mix with Pro-Mix and Blood/Bone/Kelp/Greensand/Dolomite.

My question is, if replacing the Pro-Mix with screened, high quality top soil, is the dolomite still needed to buffer the PH? Should it still be added as a source of Ca/Mg, but possibly at a lower rate?

Thanks ahead of time for any help!

Bennyweed1

Veteran

My question is, if replacing the Pro-Mix with screened, high quality top soil, is the dolomite still needed to buffer the PH? Should it still be added as a source of Ca/Mg, but possibly at a lower rate?

I personally never run any type of soil without Lime. For me it is a staple in all my mixes. I add 2tbs to five gallons of soil and have never been hurt from it.

If you could find some oyster and crab shell to add with the lime; I think it would be a pretty nice touch.

But Pro-mix or screened top soil....I would use the same amounts you have been IMO.

supherbb

I think my local spot has screened top soil and two types of compost, mushroom and lobster I believe? I'd have to double check. I was looking to basically replicate LC's Mix with the changes mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestion Benny...I'm thinkin of using it the same, maybe cutting back a bit if using the lobster compost.

S

SeaMaiden

I use locally made top soil, and the guy who makes it is very, very good at what he does. As such, the only reason I need to add additional Ca is because my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants tend to get blossom end rot in his mix. The pH of the mix is fine, so I don't need to add dolomitic lime, I can add back anything with sufficient Ca in it.

So! My advice is to talk to the person making the soil, find out what's in it and how other customers are doing with it.

I took that top soil and amended with kelp meal, alfalfa, and several rock dusts so as to bring up the P/K content just a bit. It's lasted me three grows, now I need to add back more K.

It's also important to know and understand that Mg, while absolutely necessary, doesn't need to be emphasized in cannabis growing as much as it currently is. Ca is far more important, IMO/IME.

supherbb

Excellent response SeaMaiden...When I go and arrange for a delivery I will make sure to talk to someone and ask for more info about the topsoil.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Do the jar and water ph shake test....then add dolomite or EWC if it's an acidic topsoil.

I had to adjust my local topsoil as the soil ph was just above 4.0 with little humic material.

Look for black topsoils...a sign of high humic content...but not always.

supherbb

Thanks guys. I'll be taking a ride to the county conservation this weekend so I'll make sure to ask plenty of questions. Thanks for all of the help.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As such, the only reason I need to add additional Ca is because my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants tend to get blossom end rot in his mix

you need nettle and chamomile FPE. never see it again, and improve flavor and heat.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As such, the only reason I need to add additional Ca is because my tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants tend to get blossom end rot in his mix

you need nettle and chamomile FPE. never see it again, and improve flavor and heat.

S

SeaMaiden

I need to get them growing! All my comfrey and catnip died during my medical hiatus.

supherbb

Hey everyone, I got some results for the local soil and compost that is available to me. I was wondering if anyone could interpret this info and break it down a little clearer for me.

I'm trying to replicate the LC recipe as much as possible. Always had great results with it and I'm not one to try and reinvent the wheel much, but I wanna try and replace the peat moss with local top soil if possible. Looking at this, to me it seems like I'd have to make more adjustments than I originally thought...

Attachments

• soiltest.jpg
    soiltest.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 6
  • composttest.jpg
    composttest.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 6

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I wouldn't replace peat with topsoil alone....but rather incorporate it in a mix like LC's...just add a bit to the final mix..and other goodies.

Latest posts

Latest posts