What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Help finding some amendments.

So I wanna make a nice organic batch of soil, and the town I live in doesn't really have a well stocked gardening store to get things like EWC, kelp, azomite etc...So I was hopin for some good online resources for these products. I can find all the things I want i just don't want to pay different shipping from different suppliers all over the place. I'm east of the Mississippi BTW.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
if you have any garden center nearby or a lowes/hd, look into the espoma products

I like the garden tone and the bio-tone plus and I add lime, kelp and greensand too and de.

My problem with Amazon is that as I shop all the each item is coming from different sellers from all over. Maybe I just need to learn to use their site better, but many sellers only have one or two items. I live in sort of a resort area where many people are here for a short time so they don't really put down roots(pun intended:) and the big box stores' inventory reflects this with their selection. They have some of the epsoma products and the lime isn't dolomite. I guess there still on the winter inventory. Its mainly the K and micros that aren't around for the mix I want, plenty of blood and bone meal. I may just make a little trip to see some family and get what I need in a larger city. However, we just had a little storm here at the beach, I should go scavenge some free stuff off the sand. Thanks for the input guys.

S

SeaMaiden

Google Peaceful Valley Farm & Supply. You'll be able to get damn near everything, if not everything, from them. I really like that they have all-organic fert and ground cover mixes that are specific to the Sierra Nevada (turns out their location is damn near exactly like mine, in terms of geology, geography, elevation, weather patterns, even the soil and biology look to be almost exactly the same).

also if you're looking at kelp4less, they have an ebay store with more stuff listed.. Their site doesn't have lime, but their ebay store does

F

Fastcast

Google Peaceful Valley Farm & Supply. You'll be able to get damn near everything, if not everything, from them. I really like that they have all-organic fert and ground cover mixes that are specific to the Sierra Nevada (turns out their location is damn near exactly like mine, in terms of geology, geography, elevation, weather patterns, even the soil and biology look to be almost exactly the same).

This is a great place for everything but,there shipping is kinda high.I only use them if I have too.I wish they were more south.Forgot to add,Phoenix Organics is good on shipping,and you get a lot for your money!

Sean Price

Google Peaceful Valley Farm & Supply. You'll be able to get damn near everything, if not everything, from them.

I've gotten a lot from this site they seem legit..I want to get vegetable seeds from them. I like the little bags of alaska humus. It's perfect for making occasional compost teas..They have glacial rock dust too..

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
kelp4less.com

you have to check em out!

turbo

44 pounds for $400 + free shipping, no thanks.

Rather go
HERE. 50 pounds for $69.95 +Basic shipping & handling $13.95 + Overweight Shipping $7.50. And probably a little more to get it to where ever you are. Still a lot better than the other deal.

intotheunknown

Veteran
i would think if the store you go to doesnt have what you need.
they should be able to order these things for you.

and chances are if they order it for you and other people ask for it. they will start to consistently stock the items.

happens most of the time i go somewhere that doesnt have what i need. i have them order it. and they will keep it in stock.

If there are plant nurseries around thats where I went and got perilite, azomite, greensand, EWC, plus they had guano's and Neptune's harvest line

But check out Sear's, KMART, Home Depot, Lowes .. They all carry Espoma product line in some form or another .. Check out Espoma's online catolog because they offer different tone's for specific typles of plants as well as kelp, greensand, blood meal, bone meal, manure, compost, ect ect ect Their tones are well balanced to cover the micro's and macro's

Check out feed/grain stores for oyster shells (calcium) or got to WalMarx and get a 44# bag of d.lime for $4.

S

SeaMaiden

I've gotten a lot from this site they seem legit..I want to get vegetable seeds from them. I like the little bags of alaska humus. It's perfect for making occasional compost teas..They have glacial rock dust too..
I actually prefer Territorial Seed Company, or barring them, Seeds of Change, for veggie seeds. I've also gotten bare root tree stock from PVFS, and two of my pears never took. So, I suggest going a little more local, or with an outfit that's more dedicated to plant stocks, instead.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ever thought of going the natural farming route? and not using things you buy from the store? quality goes up imo. and chances are everything you need is already around you.

S

SeaMaiden

Jay, you *know* I'm all about cheap to free, but I haven't had such good luck with it in my area. For instance, going to the county for wood chips...? Hasn't worked out so well, I can't seem to get a return call or follow-up survey (they have to survey my property before they'll agree to drop off the chips).

ever thought of going the natural farming route? and not using things you buy from the store? quality goes up imo. and chances are everything you need is already around you.

I've been looking at stuff around my area for a little bit. I recently moved to the beach so I'm a bit out of my element. For instance the aquatic plants that wash up are real interesting I just don't know what's what and the palm trees have this wire-y coir in their trunk. There is also this humus-y stuff under some trees. I just don't know how to responsibly collect and process these items for my small garden. I think a lot about my impact and will just resort to having stuff trucked in from god knows where till I learn more for the moment. I like your thinking though.

If there are plant nurseries around thats where I went and got perilite, azomite, greensand, EWC, plus they had guano's and Neptune's harvest line

But check out Sear's, KMART, Home Depot, Lowes .. They all carry Espoma product line in some form or another .. Check out Espoma's online catolog because they offer different tone's for specific typles of plants as well as kelp, greensand, blood meal, bone meal, manure, compost, ect ect ect Their tones are well balanced to cover the micro's and macro's

Check out feed/grain stores for oyster shells (calcium) or got to WalMarx and get a 44# bag of d.lime for $4.
I like Epsoma but all the big box stores only have the stuff for citrus and palm trees and the "garden lime" here is not dolomite, don't know why, my state has a very large deposit of dolomite?

I'm having some small amounts mailed but will keep looking locally. I'm sure next month with warmer weather will improve my chances at the big boxes too, I'll try and keep it local though.

Latest posts

Latest posts