What's new

The Mites are taking over!

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Whatever you use do it quickly....otherwise they will end up looking like this.

I THINK I'VE GOT A LITTLE PROBLEM HERE

picture.php

YEP, GOOD OLD SPIDER MITES...THE BORG

picture.php

THESE PLANTS WERE WIPED OUT VIRUALLY OVER NIGHT

picture.php

5th

Veteran
Wow...Highcountry...I've seen mites before...but thats an infestation in the Nth degree...

High Country

Veteran
Wow...Highcountry...I've seen mites before...but thats an infestation in the Nth degree...

Yep...I went away for a few days and came back to that...they were my mother plants...completely stuffed.

POTM?

POTM?

Whatever you use do it quickly....otherwise they will end up looking like this.
picture.php

I'd like to nominate High country for picture of the month !! Here is the reality of growing grass, it ain't all calyx and crystals ...

Peace homies!

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Amazing how fast the little critters grow. Mites can survive virtually anything. Spray and then spray and spray again every 3 days. I personally would spray the surrounding areas where the plants are to ensure that you may get any that have gotten away as it were. I personally prefer neem it'll do the trick with out the nasty chemical, and remember that neem may not seem as its working but it does and does the job quite well. GOD LUCK BRO cause your gonna need it. Wash and setileize everything you wear when you are working with the borg, they tend to hang around otherwise. I never had them but a buddy got some cuts from a guy and the rest as they say was history, took us a month or more to get rid of them, little basterds. just remember NEEM.

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Yeah!!!!! You can kill them with neem, but a s a biological control it works differently than chemicals. So when you spray they don't instantly fall off the plant dead. but they will not reproduce and they will stop the plant damage. Study up on the mite life cycle. It may take awhile but you will win. neem rocks its has more beneficial uses for man beside killing the borg.

mad librettist

Veteran
Yeah!!!!! You can kill them with neem, but a s a biological control it works differently than chemicals. So when you spray they don't instantly fall off the plant dead. but they will not reproduce and they will stop the plant damage. Study up on the mite life cycle. It may take awhile but you will win. neem rocks its has more beneficial uses for man beside killing the borg.

neem is not biological control. it's a natural insecticide spray and a growth regulator.

biological controls are living things that make their living controlling pest populations.

Sean Price

Oh man don't let it happen dude! . All the tips about neem are great but it's all in HOW YOU SPRAY!! You gotta get down and spray under the leaves, then spray your hand and make wet with the mix. Clutch the plant and slide yor hands up the stalk gently all the while spraying.. It works you need to neem for a week or two for that bad of mite outbreak.

pearlmae- have you seen how fast the males run? It would be like a human running 50 m.p.h. ?

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
Seriously. You managed to kill them all off completely with just Neem?

Actually in my case Azamax and I don't know about complete elimination because mites are omnipresent, but I definitely killed enough of them so that they wouldn't damage the plants and so that if you looked you couldn't find one.

I've done this a few times. Moreover, if you aren't lazy and just spray once a week or so in veg prophylactically you won't have a mite problem. I'm lazy so lately I've been checking the my plants, but not spraying unless I notice mites.

Pine

High Country

Veteran
I'd like to nominate High country for picture of the month !! Here is the reality of growing grass, it ain't all calyx and crystals ...

Peace homies!

It certainly isn't calyx and crystals. If these little shits don't target you...something else will. We are farmers dealing with disease, insect attacks and everything else that affects any agricultural community. Eternal vigilance is required.

I didn't worry about it really...shit happens...and I quite like the web structures they build...totally enveloping and destroying everything.

They are a very skilled enemy.

S

SeaMaiden

I plan to heavily investigate the Biological Controls Index, but in the mean time I'd like to know if it's OK for me to use a 1/2 or 1/4 strength Bug-B-Gone (http://www.ecosense.ca/en/Products.aspx?SelectedItem=Is)

This is what I used to use before and now that I'm doing Organics I'm kind of afraid to hurt my soil ecology.
JMS Stylet oil every THREE days, diligently covering every millimeter of the plant's surface. Also cover the soil.

Other perfectly organic controls that you can begin immediately, at least if growing indoors, is to increase humidity to >65% (in the 70%+ range is far better) and decrease temps. If you're flowering, low temps can have the same effects as high temps, so it's a short-term stop-gap measure.

Someone mentioned lavendar at the beginning of the thread.. Since this is in the organic forum I figure I'll share my experiences too..

In addition to mixing up your own lavendar spray, it's often said to change up your methods frequently so the mites don't build a resistance to it.. I have lavendar, rosemary, and clove oil all in my arsenal and alternate between them weekly and spray my flowering and vegging plants. I have them fairly controlled, but if I let up for 2 weeks, I will notice some damage. I think staying on top of it for a very long time is the best way to get rid of them for good, especially if you grow perpetually and have fairly large plant counts.

I spray up until harvest with this mixture and never had it affect my buds in any way, no bud rot either. I spray with the lights off, and put a pan on high oscillating the area so everything dries in time for the lights to come on.

The first time I realized I had spidermites was too late, I had webs all over my buds. I thought they were doomed as they would retreat for a day and come back at full force

The other key is to use a pump sprayer.. It's so much easier to get every square millimeter of the under leaf, and not having so squeeze every spray helps you get it done faster and better.

good luck with those bastards bro.. You may never get rid of them, but as long as you have them controlled, you can work on different methods to drive them away

I'm also growing chives and garlic chives along side all of my plants.. Apparently the borg hates the smell and it forces them to flee. I've seen some plant garlic/chives in their pots with their plants to discourage any mites from climbing up from the soil.. As long as you don't have your plants touching, this is an incredible way to reduce them from getting on your plants

Latest posts

Latest posts