What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Drug Raid Nightmare

SomeGuy

668, Neighbor of the Beast
Virginian Pilot

CHESAPEAKE

During his months in jail, Ryan Frederick wrote and rewrote an apology to Jarrod Shivers' family in his mind and on paper.

Hours before his Friday morning court sentencing, Frederick scribbled away again on a yellow notepad in his solitary cell until 2 a.m. "I did rough draft after rough draft," he said. "Ball it up, throw it away. Ball it up, throw it away."

It all boiled down to a simple expression: "I'm sorry."

Later in a Chesapeake courtroom, Frederick faced the family of the detective he killed during a drug raid in January 2008. Dressed in a red prison jumpsuit, he softly read a one-minute, handwritten statement. He said he did not expect forgiveness.

"All I can do is apologize."

Nicole Shivers, the detective's widow, wore black and sat several feet away. She listened without visible emotion.

Circuit Court Judge Marjorie A.T. Arrington on Friday followed a jury's recommendations and imposed the maximum: 10 years for voluntary manslaughter. Frederick, 29, must spend at least 8-1/2 years in jail, with credit for time already served.

He also faces three years of supervision after his release and must pay a $500 fine for possessing marijuana.

Outside the courthouse, members of the Shivers family said they accepted the judge's decision to enforce the maximum punishment. Nicole Shivers said she has not forgiven Frederick but added, "I don't have hate for him."

Prosecutors and family members portrayed Shivers as a hard working family man whose death was a great blow to his community.

Shivers enlisted in the Navy after high school and worked as an aircraft handler and supervisor on the deck of the carrier Theodore Roosevelt. He started a family, and he left the Navy to spend more time at home. He joined the Chesapeake Police Department in 2000 and rose to the rank of detective.

During a raid on Jan. 17, 2008, Frederick shot Shivers as he entered his home in the city's Portlock section.

Shivers, 34, left three children: Brittnie, Ashleigh and Landon.

Before leaving the courthouse with family and friends, Nicole Shivers said she's still "trying to learn how to be a single parent."

The highly charged trial included a special prosecutor, testimony from several jailhouse snitches, tearful family members, and a parade of police officers. A jury rejected a capital murder charge and found Frederick guilty of voluntary manslaughter in February.

Defense lawyers argued that Frederick shot in self-defense after he was awakened and thought burglars were breaking through his front door. His home had previously been burglarized.

Neither side was satisfied by the verdict.

On Friday, Jim Shivers, the detective's father, said the family remains puzzled and disappointed by the jury's decision. He did not think the verdict was fair, he said, "but it's the one we got. It's the one we're going to live with."

Shivers was pleased the judge handed out the maximum sentence.

Jack Bider, president of the Chesapeake chapter of the Fraternal Order of Police, also said the 10-year sentence seemed unfair punishment for the loss of a fellow officer.

Bider acknowledged that the jury had carefully weigh ed the evidence before reaching a decision. "Then that's the verdict," he shrugged.

The case is expected to continue in an appeals court. Defense attorney Eric Korslund argued that Frederick, who had no prior criminal record, should be retried on lesser charges. "We're going to try to get a new trial for him," he said.

From jail, Frederick said he accepted his punishment.

He repeated his apology. "It's a tragedy all the way around. His folks are suffering. I'm doing time," he said. "There's no closure."

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
lemme summarize with one statement cut and pasted from the original post.

In the case where a citizen mistakenly (and allegedly) shot through his door at a raiding police officer, the citizen is facing a murder charge; in the case where a raiding police officer mistakenly shot through a door and killed a citizen, there were no criminal charges.

justice? my ass.
period.

Vegan

Shitty man, guy may be facing the death penalty cause some shit CI couldn't tell the difference between a japanese maple and a pot plant.Cops basically give these pieces of shit free reign to commit crimes, because they give them tips, fucking rat fucks.Something simular happened to me once, place got ripped, then three days later 3 a.m. boom cops knocking the door off the frame.If the cops didn't go in so heavy handed all the time shit like this would be far less likely to happen, fucking adrenaline junkies just looking for their fix is all.

what he said

:yeahthats

supersoulbro1

very bad but they gave him ten years for the officers death not a bad sentence if ya look at it right.I know that he shot cause he thought he was being robbed again key word thought.The way I look at it they were wrong to come in there like that but he could have gotten life for the cops murder...

Part of gun laws state that you never just shoot through something to hit an unknown target. An officer is trained and licensed to have a firearm. If they percieve a threat through a door, who do they call? The people inside?

If you are a citizen and percieve a threat on the other side of your door, you shouldn't just SHOOT. What if someone was comming home drunk to wrong house? Woops. Guess it was too much for this guy to just call the police and lock himself in his bedroom and shoot whoever was actually INSIDE his house, right?

C

CheifnBud2

That "police informant" or as most people would call a "tresspassing, theiving, deceptive little piece of shit rat" really ruined 2 peoples, if not more's life.

This just goes to show. The real criminals will reveal themselves, and when you go out searching for everyone breaking the law, some seriously bad shit is going to happen.

Even if the guy did have a few weed plants, who is he hurting? and is this big raid really necessary?

No.

Latest posts

Latest posts