What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Advice PLEASE!! Landlord coming on Monday to 'investigate my power bill'

blueberryfarmer said:
The thing about the power usage is, i was growing at this time last year too (the time he's comparing the electricity usage with)... we've just got other shit using our power as well... ****.... you guys seem so certain... you have no idea how much money and time (that doesn't come easily to me) i've invested in this whole setup... this would only be my second harvest. **** i dont know what to do...

make hash or cookies out of the weed. Trust me being caught with it will cost alot more.

Y

yamaha_1fan

250w is like $15 a month. There is no way he noticed that. Unless you have so much extra crap, TV, radios, computers, space heaters, etc that as a total, it is excessive.

Personally I think he got tipped off somehow.

My advise:

1: Tear it down

2: Call him and tell him you have been using some excessive electric, and would like to send him the difference in your next rent payment. You didnt know what to say on the phone when he called and you will try to keep it down in the future.

3. Put some extra stuff in the house, and make it uncomfortable for him to be there. Put some panties on the wardrobe handles. No way he is going to touch that wardrobe with panties on it. I would also test the outside outlet before he comes so you can show him and point him that way.

Good luck

hamstring

Veteran
It sounds like your grow is self-contained. Cant you just take it to a friends house for a day or two? I agree that it is not a good idea to leave it in the apartment. I had a similar thing happen when I was younger (exterminators). I moved everything to a friend’s house then back. You can leave it and pray or move it and be safe.

It may actually make your apartment a better grow place. The landlord is satisfied and will never bother you again.

I also agree that long term you have to find a less anal landlord or an apartment where you pay for the utilities.

blueberryfarmer said:
The thing about the power usage is, i was growing at this time last year too (the time he's comparing the electricity usage with)... we've just got other shit using our power as well... ****.... you guys seem so certain... you have no idea how much money and time (that doesn't come easily to me) i've invested in this whole setup... this would only be my second harvest. **** i dont know what to do...

There is no way a 250 watt grow would be noticeable in your power bill. I think the culprit is the space heater. Scrap the grow homie at least for now.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
don't scrap the grow, go to jail instead.

this is certainly gonna be the outcome of this mess the way your talking about it.
whats a few dollars to rebuild compared to you and your girlfriend in jail for a few years?
not to mention lawyers, court fees, fines, etc....
don't be a dumb shit,
tear it down!!!!
live to grow another day!!!

sugabear_II

Veteran
bbfarmer,

I would put a visible lock on the wardrobe cabinet. It is your private property and he has no right to open it, period.

Don't whatever you do, open it for him. Say it's your personal stuff - could be guns, sex toys, whatever it is your private stuff - you have a right to privacy - but don't tell him what's in there or open it - no matter what.

If it goes badly and he demands to open and you say no and he says he'll come back with a cop then tell him go ahead - you'll have at least a little while to get rid of the plants.

-suga

Another option is to rent a small storage space and bring everything there Monday early morning and pick it up Monday evening.

Last edited:

afghanman

Farmer, the last thing you said made the decision concrete. If you were living there last year and growing and suddenly he has a problem with your electricity usage, it can't be good news. You have to get that out of your apartment before monday no matter what. Just my two cents, though.
Good luck and if you decide to keep it, I really hope he doesn't find it and just glances through your apartment.

C

CheifnBud2

Heres the most straight forward solution to your problems.

First off, you need to know as a rent-ee that everything that was in the appartment before you were there, the doors, the walls, the ceiling, the carpet and the floor are his.

So basically no locked doors and no damage and there is nothing he can do.

If the cops somehow got into your appartment with the growbox in it, and they see the vents stick their nose up one and smell weed they have probable cause to get into the box, but first of all they must have probable cause or permission from the landlord to enter the residence.

Im sure if a landlord allows the police to enter your house while your not there and they find the plants you would end up going to court over the plants but winning based on the fact the evidence was obtained without a warrant to your property.(in the eyes of the law eventhough the landlord lets them into his property, it is your residence with your possesions inside it, and without a warrant to a specified possession they have no reason to be looking upon your things in the first place.)

You have less chance of getting busted by growing on your own property. In order to get into the house in the first place the cops would need your consent or a warrant.

Last edited:

NPK

Dude, there's GOT to be some other place you can park your plants and equipment for one day while the landlord is around. You can't afford to have this shit going when it's exactly what he's looking for!

G

bbf....you have two choices.....harvest and tear it down or you could rent a van or uhaul, box everything up, put everything in the van then bring your setup back in on tuesday....but i would suggest along with mostly everyone hear that u tear it down, cut your losses and move to a more secure location...preferably one where you are the only one who sees your electric bill

Good luck bro

Last edited:

Jim Rockford

Veteran
Garden sounds small and managable, moving it would be the best thing. Besides that don't do a thing. Ask your landlord to see the bill and ask him to move it over to your name if he has a problem with it. Tell him you got a new 1500 W hair dryer if he needs a reason. Maybe he gives warning in a non-direct way cause he knows. Regardless, see the time you have as a blessing and move the goods to a friends like mentioned earlier in this post. Don't conceal it in your house, your asking for trouble and adding shitloads of stress to the whole situation when he visits. If it is out, you can be a huge smart ass and kind of dick if you want.

Make sure to tell him he is an ass and he can find a new tenant. He'll think twice about doing this to another tenant. Seriously, a 250 W light is nothing. Right now in my house there is a 100W and 2 60W light bulbs on, thats 220 W just on in teh kitchen and living room. I can't see 250W really making a noticable difference. $10 or $15 a month extra ain't a reason to be invaded. There is also a chance he knows more than he is saying. Such as he knows you are growing, likes you as a tenant, and wants the weed out but you to stay. Or, he knows the cops know and is letting the secret out without flat out saying it thus protecting his own ass. Best of luck, I hope things pan out better down the road.

JR

BadKarma

When he said was coming there was a friggin streak that ran up your back to the base of you neck and a friggin chill you can still feel! Thats every cell in your body yelling DANGER! He is coming to your GROW to look for a GROW because he has SEEN IT BEFOR! If Your grow is still standing you have LOST YOUR MIND! :rant:

Im sorry man but the gig is up.
BE SAFE

P.S Do you think you could hide your grow from the members of this forum if they were looking for it?

Last edited:
friend, please heed the warning, your already busted you just dont know it yet.

god damn i'm sorry but this is the way it turned out.

I to lost my small opp, and at the time i was so mad i wish it had been the cops and not the landlord. but trust me once you get caught up in the court system youll wish you had this to do over again. your done growing there. period. the end.

sorry for your loss, and i sincerly hope it doesnt get worse.

sugabear_II

Veteran
yeah I'm going back on my earlier statement about locking it and just not letting him in it -

there is no legitimate excuse for having an armoire with cords going into it a fan noise and air blowing out of it. You can't turn the fan off cause then it will really start to stink so I think you need to consider that the box either must not be operating and therefore the grow must be torn down - or the box must not be there.

You have two choices;

1. tear down the grow and turn off the armoire - clean and pack everything inside and put a lock on it. Even then he may see it and figure things out that you just tore down your grow and evict you anyways.

2. Rent a storage space ( I have done this before when having relatives come to town I have shut down and stored my cabinets in a rental unit ) or like someone said rent a u-haul van and move the thing out Sunday night and back in Monday night after he's gone.

[ edit: This 2nd option is very high risk if you do it with the plants still alive - in a storage unit or a parked moving van there will be no power and no odor filtration and it won't take long for those plants to start reaking - so now instead of your landlord discovering it someone calls the cops about the van parked outside smelling of weed - or the storage facility calls. Another risk is that the landlord sees you moving it (suprise visit) or another nosey tenant tells the landlord that they saw you moving stuff out.

your kinda f-d but as someone said you're lucky he warned you and didn't show up with the cops or show up unexpectedly and catch you with the plants outside of the cabinet. ]

Long Term you need to find a new apartment where the landlord doesn't pay the hydro bill, this is not a choice but a fact of life if you want to use your cabinet again, sorry for the bad news.

Last edited:

Laura Kush

I say keep the wardrobe locked, say a prayer and have your girl in the bedromm in a skimpy outfit. If hes a oldman he will be uncomfortable about looking in someone's wardrobe.

Hey your in Canada. How bad can jail be? At least you aren't in the U.S.

chaingmai

Dude Kill them and kill them now!! Not to be rude but it is your only safe option. The peeps on this board now whats up. Thats why you asked us right?? Now look man Its small your gonna yield maybe a couple ounces right?? So Just take the money you are gonna save by staying out of court and buy a couple ounces of high grade. Its gonna be way way way cheaper . Plus if you get busted its gonna be a long long time before you can grow again. Let us know what happened and good luck. Be smart man please Please.

Sharp_Pain

You have to abandon the grow no matter how much it sucks. As a landlord they can enter your property for any reason with 24 hours notice. The fact he added a clause in the lease about the space heaters shows he's anal about the power bills, thus he's curious how your got out of whack.

My only other though would be to goto this guy and say" Listen I know my lease says no extra heaters, but i get cold easy and do keep other heaters running and just offer to pay an additional amount to cover the cost to run them.

If he's just being a cheap asshole he probably will take it

Option #1 is to scrap the grow or move it for a day or 2( if possible)

hidden

Harvest your plants now.

I think your landlord will be showing up with a police officer for the inspection.

Harvest the buds, throw them in a paper sack, and put them in a basket under your dirty underwear or in the trunk of your car.

You're lucky right now. Your luck is likely going to run out.

Oh yes, move as soon as possible.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Cut your plants and move. Even if you bring the plants back after the inspection, the guy is watching the power bill like a hawk. You may not get a call the next time.