What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

live camera

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
hey you who knows something about services and ip cameras.

im interested of building somekind of security/detection camera to my growing space.

can you suggest a cheap live/web camera that can be wireless aswell if you know any. i need help for setup too.

i think it's better to code that camera to take photos instead of videos because capacity will be problem then if im right? 1 picture in 15 minutes should be good i think so.

how i can see the photos with my smartphone or computer when i am not at home?

im not very afraid of thieves but this will make me sure what is going on with my medicine plants. i want to spene more time with my family aswell so then i can just check is it time to go water the plants or something like that.

waiting for your reply, thanks!

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have used IP cams in my grows for years. I love them.

No problem running constant video. It's only using bandwidth if you are recording or viewing.

Get 1080p or better. And, PTZ (Pan/Tilt?Zoom). Not much else to them. Monitoring them from outside LAN is easy enough if you know how to configure your router.

I also use Raspberry Pi cams.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Anymore most off the shelf IP cam stuff is probably fine. If you are really worried about security you can have somebody roll you a specialized arduino/raspberry camera that only you can connect to, but tbh it's not worth the cost 99 times out of 100. If you live in an illegal area though, I might even go as far as to say do not put up anything wireless, only used wired connections. If you have to use off the shelf wireless, make sure you aren't broadcasting the ssid of the camera or network it's on. Something that simple would be enough to keep it out of reach of most normal people. Best case you want a solar powered, battery backup system that takes pictures periodically, has some sort of motion detection to grab burst photos when it detects something, then uploads those photos using a sim card to a secure location you can view from anywhere. Would work any place you can get a cell phone signal. Something like https://www.spypoint.com/en/products/solar-cellular-trail-camera/product-link-s.html

Latest posts

Latest posts