What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shatter from oil extracted with alcohol?

Spaventa

Veteran
Just wondering if my preference for drinks grade alcohol as a solvent affects turning the oil into shatter? I recover mine using the still i make the alcohol in.

I found with a approx 95% alcohol i still picked up lots of the undesirables versus 99% iso or butane, if one could distill 99% but I believe one would need a tall reflux still like folks would use to make ethanol fuel, just a bit more refined than drinking alcohol or a everclear

Spaventa

Veteran
I found with a approx 95% alcohol i still picked up lots of the undesirables versus 99% iso or butane, if one could distill 99% but I believe one would need a tall reflux still like folks would use to make ethanol fuel, just a bit more refined than drinking alcohol or a everclear

Ive extracted with my own at 95% and don't have an issue with undesirables but I run activated carbon and clear the wash for a couple of days. 3 runs through my pot stil takes me over 95 but if you want 100%, just use zeolite powder (molecular sieve). add, stir, leave for 24 hours, rack off, distil again if your bothered but its cool to store alcohol over drying agent to keep it pure.

EDIT - Almost forgot the original point lol. So is there anything special to consider if planning to make shatter from oil extracted with alcohol as opposed to gas or other solvents? Thanks

Last edited:

Spaventa

Veteran

Actually, did you mean chlorophyll? sugars? I noticed my oil was greener first time with alcohol but freezing the alcohol first fixed it for me. I break up the material so a quick 30 second wash is enough. Also, i tend to accumulate stuff so it gets to cure a lot of the green away before i use it.

Latest posts

Latest posts