What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HMK Rosin Press - Hair Straightener 2.0

EsterEssence

Veteran
Blast, I looked a the ptc, but did not find a usa source. Plus the waffle iron has the thermostat....

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
RUFKM?

who came up with this idear? how long do you heat it up and how hard do you press it?

Heady gave me the idea once I saw him an others using it in their feed on IG. Press for 5-7 seconds an press with the 600 lb quick grip atleast. I'm building a different press this weekend if all goes well.:tiphat:

LostTribe

Premium user
Heady gave me the idea once I saw him an others using it in their feed on IG. Press for 5-7 seconds an press with the 600 lb quick grip atleast. I'm building a different press this weekend if all goes well.:tiphat:

how long do you press it and how do you gather the sticky mess?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran

PICS, or it didn't happen.

What temps does it work at? They hold up to the pressure? I like it

220 is nominal as per Heady and Arthritis

how long do you press it and how do you gather the sticky mess?

I'm hoping to get my press tomorrow and I'll do a crash course how to. Hopefully with those in the know chiming in if/when I fuck up :yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Soooo I finally got my FIRST hair straightener yesterday after waiting for awhile for it to get in. I had to end up using a dremel to remove the plates from the plastic backing as they had an inline fuse that was soldered through the plastic backing. I went to all the trouble chopping this thing apart only for it to blow apart when something shorted out on the back of the board. Went out and bought some ceramic straightener from a big box store. It was a lot easier to take apart but the wiring is a little odd in that there was two wiring assemblies that prevent convenient wire placement. I set the pads in place on the quick grip and found out that the lowest heat setting on this one is 310 ;_;. Off to a disenchanted start with rosin tech.

Lyfespan

Soooo I finally got my FIRST hair straightener yesterday after waiting for awhile for it to get in. I had to end up using a dremel to remove the plates from the plastic backing as they had an inline fuse that was soldered through the plastic backing. I went to all the trouble chopping this thing apart only for it to blow apart when something shorted out on the back of the board. Went out and bought some ceramic straightener from a big box store. It was a lot easier to take apart but the wiring is a little odd in that there was two wiring assemblies that prevent convenient wire placement. I set the pads in place on the quick grip and found out that the lowest heat setting on this one is 310 ;_;. Off to a disenchanted start with rosin tech.

youre off to a great start, dont let a simple obstacle blind your creative side. yes remington's only go down to 310, so how do we fix this? by insulating, this another reason i squish with the silicone pads. just remember that these pads do start to break apart physically, not chemically, so you need to replace them about every 50-100 squishes depending on manufacturer :tiphat:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
youre off to a great start, dont let a simple obstacle blind your creative side. yes remington's only go down to 310, so how do we fix this? by insulating, this another reason i squish with the silicone pads. just remember that these pads do start to break apart physically, not chemically, so you need to replace them about every 50-100 squishes depending on manufacturer :tiphat:

What about using some card stock like a cereal box or something along those lines?

LostTribe

Premium user
for ~$50 i can make an HMK press with the irwin quick grip xl, a hair iron, and a bit of diy savvy. 100--300 psi. if i put it together decently it'll last for a long time. fits in a drawer.

for ~$125--200 i got a small hydraulic bottle jack powered shop press with manually heated plates. 1333---2000 psi. it's big and clumsy and needs maintenance, but it makes great rosin.

how does heady heat his big press?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
took some dabs today of organic soil grown gg4 rosin.... so damn proper, i gotta stop dragging my feet and build one of these little suckers

LostTribe

Premium user
I just dont get how it removes all that sticky goodness without making a gigantic sticky burnt mess. How does the rosin release from the buds?

Useful Idiot

Veteran
I have been intrigued by this for some time. I reckon it is time to try it. I have a half of a 5 gallon bucket of buds to try this with.:biggrin: Nice thread btw.:tiphat: