What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

question for sam the skunkman on the original haze

Booyah!

So is anyone following the Drop of Original Haze that Todd McCormick is dropping on IG. Supposed to be pure form from Sam. Is that BS or No? I have a few packs of THH in the fridge but didn't realize til reading some of Mad Macs posts that it probably is a really good Sativa Hybrid with a Thai.

elanius

Veteran
Hmm, I dont have a good feeling about Todds Haze, fat leafs, fat bud structure on some phenotypes, 10 weeks Original Haze? Does not sound right to me...

I also think that THH is Original Haze x Thai, if Im not mistaken, there was an early Thai seedline that haze brothers used. Think these seeds were delivered by Sam. Male was selected and crossed to Original Haze, these might be the seeds Tom got. Well he also clearly stated, that he find a lot of Thai influence. Sam says that O.Haze is pure Colombian genetics, so there you go, makes sense. O.Haze x Thai - Tom Hills Haze.

Moreover, I grew some pure Thais this year and they were very similar to some phenos from Tom Hill Haze, but I found only one or two from 13 females, that I would consider Thai dominant by growth patterns.

Here is the most Thai dominant phenotype, looked almost identical to some Highland Thai from RSC. The bud structure is spot on to some other Thais I have seen, smell is metallic, onion, mango.
Seems to me like mix of mexicans (onion smell) and thai (mango/fruity)

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Booyah!

Very wild looking plant. Nice! Thanks for the information. I can tell you know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Time 03:49, 26 Dec 1998
From oldtimer1
I don't have any pure haze mums any more I lost them 8 or 9 years ago to a Borg
attack. This is a point worth making all the sat vars that I have tried are very
susceptible to the two spot mite. So as far as growing sats are concerned a clean
house is needed. I did haveloads of h seeds but over the years have given
them away and Iím sorry to say no one made a go of it with them.
In our climate it
needs dedication and to be a good gardener to boot. To grow with tropicals
indoors and under lighting, well totally different techniques are needed but to my
mind they are worth it. This year I have passed on most of what I had left of my h
seed stock to a friend and if he is successful the strain may carry on we will see. I
do have some mums from a series of crosses made between h and ss of which hd
is one, its my fav smoke and takes 9 to 10 w on 12 h. I have great respect for
Nevil and if the fastest is 14 weeks there isn't much nl in there. Small mottled
seeds sound like the right thing too, they sound like a good bet to me and well
worth trying. The main prob with haze is with so much inbreeding you only get 5 to
10% of really exceptional ones so loads need growing to get a really good one. I
suspect Nevil crossed h to a non dom nl then back crossed to h again the idea
being to remove the inbreeding depression without affecting the haze character.
This is only supposition but its the route I would take if I had the space and the
time.

Quote from one of the BC guys who got the ot1 seeds.

The 'Pure Haze' lines discussed in the thread on CW and at our site are from a differing line of 'Haze' from California in the '60s and not the same as the 'Haze Brothers' legendry 'Origional Haze' lines..

Originally Posted by Oldtimer1 at bcg forum

My haze was brought here [uk] from the states during its development it was still being developed field scale and may not represent the finished product. From what I have gleaned the nearest to the real thing on sale in Europe was sold by Wernard of Positronics. After he went bankrupt his stock and seed Co was taken over by Dutch passion / Home grown fantaseeds. Both these seed banks are run by relatives. The thing is that the spec for their haze has been changed from posies one in a big reduction on the finish time on 12/12. I suspect they have made a cross to a non dom indica.The thing is if you want to grow real haze it takes 12 to 16 weeks on 12/12 the very best being the late ones. The only other Haze that may have some of the original one in could be Nevils haze but greenhouse haven't published its spec yet but once again I suspect it will have indica added we will see. Most the other so called haze are lambs breath and Thai crosses. In fact in Holland haze has become a generic term for a sat with a strong up high.

oldtimer1

I was involved in contributing genetics in the early days towards the breeding of what later became skunk#1, but I don�t like what it has become now. I loved field grown haze from SoCal when it was first being developed. Todays versions are pale in comparison.

This is not true that oldtimer1 had anything to do with Skunk #1 I did all the breeding and I do not know oldtimer1, I never met him. Maybe he was part of the imaginary Sacred Seeds posse that never existed? Makes me doubt anything he has said ever.-SamS

oldtimer1
Apr 6 2004, 01:44 AM
nav I was and am, a do nothing no account as far as general society is concerned.

I have not found a modern var I would keep, I have to say I have not tried that many, most of my genetics come from before there were any seed banks.

Of modern I thought romberry and C99 were good efforts, but neither had the quality of high I look for. I would give them maybe 4 or 5 out of ten. I grew out over a 100 sensi seed bank Jack Herer when they first came out. Not one even made 1 out of 10 in my books.View Image

I was involved in contributing genetics in the early days towards the breeding of what later became skunk#1, but I don�t like what it has become now. I loved field grown haze from SoCal when it was first being developed. Todays versions are pale in comparison. Just not true about Skunk #1-SamS

Here are a few OT1 posts i posted with Sam editing and responding worth a re post.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Sam's OHz ...

Sam's OHz ...

hello haze lovers,
well here i'll like to show the old OHz from 90'...
she is my fav from that line i'll got...
and the other is a seedsman...
she is my queen... and get selfed now...
took 4 of the best ...
self them all and pollinate the 4 sisters... they just start to flower :)
outcome should be a winner in every seed...
corona gives a new chance... have more time now to finish this quest..

OHz 90'
picture.php

my queen... the best from all... pure medicine... the best on planet...
picture.php

picture.php

get hazed'
i'am
M.:tiphat:

TheDarkStorm

No.

Destroyer and Haze are two different kind of shoes.
But crossed together they do fit nice.
Even Destroyer crosses do work great with the Haze and do carry the haze goodness.

First 2 pics are 2 Destroyer Haze phenos
The other 2 is (Destroyer x PCK) X Original Haze
View Image View Image View Image View Image

And as this is not the Haze hybrid thread, at least an Original Haze pic, Seedsmans
View Image
That looks closer to the haze I know...good crosses johny...well done...theyve come out beautiful.

elanius

Veteran
Here are some Original Haze seedlings, loving these hairy little beasts!
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

these guys are funny, like dont mind us, we will just lay here for a moment haha
picture.php

Booyah!

Wow Mac that 90's Haze looks incredible. I wish you had a killer male to match (I love finding males). Where did that one come from, which seedline? I checked Seedsman and I don't think they sell the Pure Haze anymore. Amazing pics!

F2F

Nice haze Madmac!

Nice haze Madmac!

THAT is NLD! Love it MM.

Which is your fave? The OHz or the Seedsman?

Cheers,
F2F

hello haze lovers,
well here i'll like to show the old OHz from 90'...
she is my fav from that line i'll got...
and the other is a seedsman...
she is my queen... and get selfed now...
took 4 of the best ...
self them all and pollinate the 4 sisters... they just start to flower :)
outcome should be a winner in every seed...
corona gives a new chance... have more time now to finish this quest..

OHz 90'
View Image

my queen... the best from all... pure medicine... the best on planet...
View Image

View Image

get hazed'
i'am

Hemphrey Bogart

Veteran
Hmm, I dont have a good feeling about Todds Haze, fat leafs, fat bud structure on some phenotypes, 10 weeks Original Haze? Does not sound right to me...

I also think that THH is Original Haze x Thai, if Im not mistaken, there was an early Thai seedline that haze brothers used. Think these seeds were delivered by Sam. Male was selected and crossed to Original Haze, these might be the seeds Tom got. Well he also clearly stated, that he find a lot of Thai influence. Sam says that O.Haze is pure Colombian genetics, so there you go, makes sense. O.Haze x Thai - Tom Hills Haze.

Moreover, I grew some pure Thais this year and they were very similar to some phenos from Tom Hill Haze, but I found only one or two from 13 females, that I would consider Thai dominant by growth patterns.

Here is the most Thai dominant phenotype, looked almost identical to some Highland Thai from RSC. The bud structure is spot on to some other Thais I have seen, smell is metallic, onion, mango.
Seems to me like mix of mexicans (onion smell) and thai (mango/fruity)

View Image View Image View Image View Image

Beautiful plants, elanius! JohnnyC and MadMac also have the goods, by the looks. Excellent work, fellas!

I agree with you on Todd's OH offerings, elanius...that said I do have some OH seeds coming from him and will hopefully be growing them out soon. Hopefully, someone will make a thread here for Todd's stuff and we can all stare and compare as the season unfolds. I'm curious to see what he has...only way to know is to grow them out and then you can judge properly.

HB.

MadMac

far beyond driven...
hello,
thx @ all for da comments :)

Wow Mac that 90's Haze looks incredible. I wish you had a killer male to match (I love finding males). Where did that one come from, which seedline? I checked Seedsman and I don't think they sell the Pure Haze anymore. Amazing pics!
well have 8 males.... 1 is a killer by look... most resin also...
picture.php

Which is your fave? The OHz or the Seedsman?
booth are killer... it depend on day and mood...
high is similar... also the taste... seedsman has more pepper smell... the 90' little fruity

Looks very thick and stacked Mac, nice find and looks great, does she have that strong flavour and nose to boot?
yes she has this strong pepper/menthol flavor ...
but interesting small trichs compared to the other haze...

well you might wonder how my OHz queen is looking in full flower...
... good yielding and good amount of resin
picture.php

all the best

JohnnyChicago

I agree with you on Todd's OH offerings, elanius...that said I do have some OH seeds coming from him and will hopefully be growing them out soon. Hopefully, someone will make a thread here for Todd's stuff and we can all stare and compare as the season unfolds. I'm curious to see what he has...only way to know is to grow them out and then you can judge properly.

HB.

I assume Todd is using the seeds he got from Sam and not something else. And should be expereinced enough to notice that there are unusual phenos in his seeds compared to all the other pure hazes and should be selecting away from that.
But that's clearly not what he is doing.

Did he test the seeds he got from Sam? Did he smoke them to evaluate the highs etc.? And will the seeds be tested before selling them to the people?

If really he is doing that "under the guidance of Sam" then it is not absolutely necessary. But is that true?

herbgreen

Veteran
I assume Todd is using the seeds he got from Sam and not something else. And should be expereinced enough to notice that there are unusual phenos in his seeds compared to all the other pure hazes and should be selecting away from that.
But that's clearly not what he is doing.

Did he test the seeds he got from Sam? Did he smoke them to evaluate the highs etc.? And will the seeds be tested before selling them to the people?

If really he is doing that "under the guidance of Sam" then it is not absolutely necessary. But is that true?

I mentioned something like that a while back That Todd has had the seeds 8 years with relatively untested..Sam corrected said 3 years

meantime Todd said again that 2012 is when he got the seeds

Todd made his Nevil /OHz cross so hes run it at least one other time

He never steps back to show plant's structure hard to tell whats going on

herbgreen

Veteran
LED he's using will close the inter-node length And that could be part of whats going on It can also shorten flower times

Fat phenos are kind of weird but its in raw form I guess?

Long inter-nodes and big open narrow leaves would be more promising look

I'm not sure Todd knows He must hes got pics of himself on his IG growing original haze in his backyard way back a long time ago...

He must know what hes doing??

He has RCC in his living room for Christssake!!!

Wish he would take 3 steps back with that camera

There's a few pics like that early on ...maybe Ill go look at them

x

TheDarkStorm

I mentioned something like that a while back That Todd has had the seeds 8 years with relatively untested..Sam corrected said 3 years

meantime Todd said again that 2012 is when he got the seeds

Todd made his Nevil /OHz cross so hes run it at least one other time

He never steps back to show plant's structure hard to tell whats going on

Funny sam says 3 years ago....wat he claims was his nevils haze aka somthing els also was lost years ago...in 2006/7...wonder wat he used to make his nh x ohz...that guy man...he cant stop digging...hed be beter of not saying anything.

herbgreen

Veteran
Here's a little video from early on shows a bit more tropical structure

Seems like hes got the LEDs right on it!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7CH5DUBz-9/

same post he talks about when he got the seeds...

toddpmccormick
I begot them in 2012 so sometime before that. And they were prob 10 to 15 years old then, he probably made them sometime in the late 90s.

JohnnyChicago

LED he's using will close the inter-node length And that could be part of whats going on It can also shorten flower times

Fat phenos are kind of weird but its in raw form I guess?

Long inter-nodes and big open narrow leaves would be more promising look

No LED can do wonders.

Things like emerson effect, uvb etc. combined with the right light spectrums will help for sure, but works much better on clones than seed plants.