What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In Windows 7, can you change your username when logged in as that username ?

St. Phatty

I want to alter my main user-name in Windows 7 - from within the account.

Does anybody know if you can do that ?

The alternative is spending a day migrating to a new desktop with the desired username.

I tried it. What happens so far is, the username changes when you are in the main Windows login window with system administrator, main username, etc.

You can go into Control Panel and change the username, from within a session.

BUT - after logging out & logging back in - when I create a file in Paint and look at the permissions, the username is the original username, not the new username.

Anyway, if anybody knows how to make sure that a username change, implemented from within the user account, flows through or ripples down, whatever term you want to use, so it's like you set it up originally with that username.

Joint Lock

if u want to move a id from one pc to another download aomei backupper install it and then make a system image . do the samething on the new pc but install the image u made from the old pc to the new pc as restore image option

St. Phatty

if u want to move a id from one pc to another download aomei backupper install it and then make a system image . do the samething on the new pc but install the image u made from the old pc to the new pc as restore image option

I want a more anon set of metadata on my images, without having to switch from my main Win7 username.

OK I found the work-around -
you take the *.jpg image you want to upload, and open it up in Paint or Photoshop in the Anon username account.

Once you save it, it will have the Anon username in its path and will basically be 'scrubbed' of personal info.

I think you can then go back into your main account (which may have your name) and visit ICMag from there. The image keeps its properties, the Anon username. As long as it's on the root directory of whichever drive you're uploading from, the properties detail ends up -
f:\Anon_username

Moral of the story - if you upload an image to ICMag, re-download it and look at the properties, in detail - because those properties are what everybody else can see.

And they can carry the username in their path, which is why I'm going on about how to scrub the main username from the image property, in the path details area.

Latest posts

Latest posts