What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first scrog, 3 & 8 gallon coco

Speed of green

hey guys, i have some plants in coco,drip fed 2x a day right now.
they are about 1 month into veg, each plant has a 5'x5' area to fill.

so i have a few questions as this is my first time playing with a scrog.

1- is it best to start removing lower foliage/ small branches as soon as you begin to train the plant onto the screen?

2- do i continue pulling the tops under the screen through stretch first two weeks of flower?

3- do i let flip to 12/12 when the screen is 75% full?

4- some strains have a different structure (indica) short and branchy, any tips to try and train these onto the screen?

5- this is more of a coco related question but do you guys prefer runoff with every watering even with multi feeds?

Thanks for any input, i can upload photos if that helps!

Speed of green

I had my helpers go through and clean out all the lower branches, I think they did a great job. The plants responded to the lollipop and the tops have had great growth in the last few days.

The 3 gallon room is going to be ready to flower sooner than the 8 gallon room.

I’m thinking a week or two until I flip the 3 gallon room.

I will continue training the plants into the first screen until the end of week 1 flower, then I will put a second layer of trellising and let the plants grow at will.

The 8 gallon room should start flower a week or so after the first.

Speed of green

First few weeks have gone fairly smooth, stretch was minimal, my dog peed in a pot first week of flower and I couldn’t explain why the leaf tips were burning until I smelled ammonia in the coco.

All lower and secondary branches that didn’t reach the screen have been pruned, will do a mild defoliation in the next few days.

I lowered the feed to 1.4 ec last week and flushed the pots because I was worrying about salt build up, I do not have a way to test runoff and the 8 gallons always look so dry.

Anyways after the flush a couple plants were a shade or two more lime green than green, so I upped the e.c back to 1.7

Right now still watering 5 times a day 5-9-12-2-4

ronbo51

Veteran
sounds like you got it goin on. I always scrog. My small grows require canopy discipline or else its just a mess. You can trail a flowering branch under the screen a bit, as long as it has good light. You can also perform various tortures with wire to keep unruly hooligan branches from gaining the upper hand. Good luck.