What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

GN originals stash boxes.. a blast from the past...

Dee.S73

Just checked the glass catcher after a couple months use, it still works, lol.

DS

Attachments

• IMG_20190116_124213_807.jpg
    IMG_20190116_124213_807.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
F

Fermented

Dee...your photos are a blast from the past.
Gypsy was the first to offer lockable smoker's table boxes with mesh screens and storage compartments....these beautiful, innovative stash boxes were high class in more ways than one and were ahead of their time.

Dee.S73

Thanks Fermented, they indeed play in a different league than all the other stashboxes around... and probably too ahead of times back then. Now would probably be the right time.
Ds

F

Fermented

The type of wood on the above stash box is Ash wood veneer. "Burl" describes the type of grain, burl wood veneer usually is sliced from the stump of the tree or junctions of the truck and branches. ..so an accurate description of that Gypsy stash box would be "Ash burl wood veneer"

I'm not sure if the staining on the inside of the box can be removed, probably not.
The inside of the boxes are not sealed with a finish, so this makes stain removal even more difficult. For light stains from resin and grimy fingerprints, sandpaper will remove some or most of it, but don't sand too deep on the inside of the lid as it's a thin veneer, so use a light grit sandpaper and a gentle action. You could try using alcohol on a clean rag and see it that works, but I'm not confident as the stain looks like a type of water stain that is deep and permanent. Another way would be to sandpaper as best as you can then rub on a light wood stain to cover it? ..or just leave it as it is as it's still functional and any attempts to remove it probably would look worse!

The screen frame is solid pine and can be aggressively sanded to remove stains. By the way, the front part of the lock fell off mine, but I used a dab of wood glue to stick it back on.

Use a good quality furniture polish and a clean rag for the exterior of the box. This stash box (which is similar to one I have) has a high gloss finish so will shine like new with some elbow grease!.

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Old Gypsy stash box in Burl.
Used hard and put away "wet"

View Image View Image

Damn I had the walnut finish in pristine condition. But lost it and almost 15k in grow equipment in my storage unit in a divorce nearly a decade ago. Got disgusted and quit growing. Start back indoor and outdoor a few years ago. I was just thinking about those stash boxes last night. I wonder if Gypsy got anymore of those?? Think to get a few dollars saved and get one. Tip top of the line those boxes are

St. Phatty

Has anybody ever used straight Madrone wood for a box, or woodworking ?

Not the burl, just the plain old wood.

Anyway those are beautiful boxes.

guineapig

Veteran
Have the deluxe stash box unused, pristine condition, I think it's the rosewood finish because it looks like dark-brown and black stripes of wood with a satin finish? The original Gypsy Nirvana Amsterdam card is in there too.

Nice that there's a stash-box appreciation thread!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Have the deluxe stash box unused, pristine condition, I think it's the rosewood finish because it looks like dark-brown and black stripes of wood with a satin finish? The original Gypsy Nirvana Amsterdam card is in there too.

Nice that there's a stash-box appreciation thread!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

That's how mine was, it was dark wood and very shiny. Definatly nice quality box. And it had the glass/plastic catcher at the bottom. I guess more of a mahogany finish Is what I had

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
The original Gypsy Nirvana Amsterdam card is in there too.

Mang.. I went to Amsterdam September 2007, figured I'd go meet the original Gypsy Nirvana in real life at the SB-shop, get some cool seeds and stuff and thing. But nope! Closed for vacation.
18514IMG_1752.jpg

What a bummer I thought.. But that's ok, tomorrow I'm going to Utrecht and visit Sarasani, the oldest coffee shop in the Netherlands.
18514IMG_1721.jpg

SWEET!
..No, wait, the door is locked during business hours, the fuck?
Well turns out they were hustling coke on the side or something, got busted and lost their license.
18514IMG_1722.jpg

So yea, if anyone is planning on visiting Amsterdam and/or Utrecht in September 2007.. Don't go, it'll break your heart. :comfort:

F

Fermented

I went to the Amsterdam shop too and bought a few packets of seeds. Gypsy got me high as phuck and gave me some free packets of seeds!...one of which was Zamal from ReUnion, for which I am forever grateful, I grew them, produced a few handfuls of seeds and grew them for years, the best examples, about 1 in 20 females, were levitating tripping grass! I wish I could get my hands on the same seeds again. I still remember the high from that Zamal...it was as if my body was separated from my mind, I would be able to "look" down at myself from 8 feet above like I was a drone lol...a really cool high with positive/out of body/trippy feelings! The downside was that they did have a long flowering duration and would finish in December ~ January, hermies were common but the plants grew tall like most tropical sativas, never molded, were insect resistant and could handle roof ripping typhoons.

The larger sized models of Gypsy Nirvana stash boxes were rosewood which was a red/brown color with a high gloss finish and a high gloss black lacquer finish. There were also other models made from zebra wood, bird's eye maple stained grey, ash burl and others. Some of the large size rosewood and black stash boxes had matching grinders with "Gypsy Nirvana" laser engraved on them and in-filled with gold. The best part about these boxes is that you could make dry sift (passively by prepping bud over the screen or actively dry sift), you could store your lighter, papers, bowls, one hitters etc in it, they were lockable and looked similar to a quality cigar humidor....they were definitely a decade ahead of their time.

Gypsy was also the first company to offer free seeds with every purchase and the seeds came sealed in the original breeder's packaging.....the funniest thing way back then was that the online fans boys of Heaven's Stairway (another competing seed selling company) at the time accused Gypsy of selling counterfeit seeds and told everyone that HS was where everyone should order, which was ludicrous as HS sold seeds that were in plain packaging, not sealed in the original packaging! lol

Last edited:

Dee.S73

in an old backup cd I did find a few interesting things.. that's one of them : the original stashbox flyer from end 2002
IMG_20210918_160001.jpg
IMG_20210918_165238.jpg

peace
DS

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:good: Count me in, was just looking at Dee's pics on pg.3 and thinking how much I'd like to get 1 (or more!) right now! :biggrin: :groupwave: