What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Watering from above vs below

MrBungle

I don't think its unconventional, It is a proper method.. I think its just not the way folks do it in Cannabis culture...

Most folks don't get top watering right anyways....

MrBungle

The reason watering is not easily taught is because it varies from environment to environment..

The key is to never let the medium completely dry out, but at the same time allowing for fresh air to oxygenate the roots....

When you top feed your plants the water enters through the top and as it falls through the medium it pulls air in with it... When you bottom feed a plant you don't get that effect, but water seldom wicks all the way to the top layer so it allows for air to enter through the top.... switch from a plastic pot to a fabric pot and it all changes, cause air can enter from almost all directions......

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The reason watering is not easily taught is because it varies from environment to environment..

The key is to never let the medium completely dry out, but at the same time allowing for fresh air to oxygenate the roots....

When you top feed your plants the water enters through the top and as it falls through the medium it pulls air in with it... When you bottom feed a plant you don't get that effect, but water seldom wicks all the way to the top layer so it allows for air to enter through the top.... switch from a plastic pot to a fabric pot and it all changes, cause air can enter from almost all directions......

Thanks :) I thought their was a special technique. I use cloth pots for many reasons, air pruning being the chief characteristic, besides the pots breathing, preventing soggy conditions at the perched water level, where the majority of your roots lie.

moonymonkey

first thing i like to do is hand mix the amount of soil I'm using with the pot with water,until you can hold a handful a hanful of it and squeeze it to see it it clumps together and if poked it wud break apart,most important i measure the amount of water it took to do that.makes more options for growing when you know exactly how much water ur dealing with.you can do split applications of water 1/2 in morning 1/2 in evening can help plant take up water faster to wet the soil the amount it took to prepare the soil or and the go 1/4 that amont on next watering teasing the soil to dry faster. starts taking up water faster bigger fatter stems bigger buds.works for me.peace mm/

moonymonkey

if i saw roots coming out the bottom i wud use a weak hydroponic food and spray the roots one time.you can take it from there wat method of growing you want to use.also if use say 1/2 gallon water if you apply with a 8oz cup instead of pouring the 1/2 gallon of water it will dry faster.peace moon=mart/

Last edited: