What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can I use Coco nutes for Hydro?

ChenBenTz

I've been using GHE for years now and I want to do a side-by-side text with some new nutes.

Only issue is that all the other options near me are for Coco, not Hydro.

Advanced Nutrients, House & Garden, Hesi, Bio Nova.. all for Coco.

So, can I use Coco nutes for Hydro, or am I stuck with GHE?

Drop That Sound

I use House & garden a lot, mostly aqua flakes base. Its supposedly designed to have more minerals and micro-nutrients that would normally fall out from a magnetic pump in a recirculating system.

I use it to veg plants in coco sometimes, (mostly dwc though) and they grow real nice. Coco is hydro after all.. I also think I heard the Coco A&B has less K, but not sure? May just be a marketing scheme.

As far as using coco spec nutes, I could see doing it if you were running DTW, and it was much cheaper because of that fact. Either way it will probably work fine.

If all I had was H&G cocos a & b.. i would just treat it like aqua flakes in my recirc\dwc systems. Until I could get my hands on some more aqua flakes that is. Its so stable, and predictable.

Just now noticed they make a Hydros a/b as well.. hmmm

Anyways here is the feeding schedules for the 3 H&G hydroponic bases.. they all look the same to me, when toggling around with the settings. http://www.house-garden.us/nutrient-calculator/

ChenBenTz

I never heard of Aqua Flakes. Around here they have H&G Coco and H&G Soil.

Is Aqua Flakes the equivalent of H&G Hydro?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Growth Technology do the best nutes for recirculating systems, they have "magic" buffers

I use GHE for Coco now, used Canna for years, all good, but IME; the Growth Technology lines for the different systems are great. One friend using Optimum never used pH down...

Chappi

Coco nutrients basically have extra cal/mag added but otherwise the same as regular hydro nutes. Some new formulas also have extra iron added as the supposed “missing link” in coco nutes. With this in mind I think coco nutes should work just fine except maybe the ones with the added iron, not sure about how that would affect regular hydro.