What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best vape to minimize waste?

Green Squall

Too soon to tell. Only vaped less than 1/2 a gram so far. But it looks like a nice decarbed brown and not burnt. Although I haven't gone over 395f yet. Time will tell.

So far....I will say this about the Solo II:
1. heats up fast (less than 30 secs)
2. uses very little product
3. dead sh*t simple to use....and get good results. Actually the results might be great but I don't have anything to compare it to. That said...it works for me....so far. :tiphat:

Glad your enjoying it! I wouldn't mind having another Arizer again someday. What did you think of the taste? I will never forget the first time I vaped. I was blown away my the flavor.

Old Toker

What did you think of the taste? I will never forget the first time I vaped. I was blown away my the flavor.
Agreed! Definitely tastes different (better) than smoking. It's been so long since I "smoked" that I'd forgotten how quickly you get high. For the last 3 or 4 months I've only been eating cannabutter cookies. And they have been great...but they just gradually mess you up. With the vape.....I'm well roasted before I even get a chance to put the Solo II to bed. :tiphat:

Old Toker

OK.....for me the question has been answered. Yes there is THC remaining in my browns. However.....I still haven't exceeded 395f with my vaping. So maybe my browns are still too brown...or not black enough? I will try this again in the next few days with some of the same Malawi and eventually work up to 425f.:tiphat:

Attachments

• IMG_20170606_122315.jpg
    IMG_20170606_122315.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 15

MrBungle

There will still be plenty of available @ 425F.

I'd avoid charring your herb in the vape if at all possible.. Might as well smoke a joint if you are gonna char it :smoke:

Old Toker

There will still be plenty of available @ 425F.

I'd avoid charring your herb in the vape if at all possible.. Might as well smoke a joint if you are gonna char it
Thank you Sir!:tiphat: It wasn't my plan to normally vape at those temps.....but.....in the interest of science :)....I wanted to make sure that I make the brown as black as I could get it. Just in case somebody who vapes at really high temps doesn't think their brown has enough THC to justify keeping/using it. After today's experiment I already know that my browns are worth keeping. :tiphat:
Did you ever try to use your browns any other way than cannabutter?

MrBungle

I usually powdered it down as fine as I could with a mesh strainer being careful to take out every little stem, and would add it to brownie mix while it was dry then added the wet ingredients.... an ounce of vaped browns would turn into 16-20 grams of powdered browns 16 grams would be a mighty powerful batch of brownies....

When I was experimenting with this at the time, it was with regular old commercial weed too... not even quality homegrown... So I imagine you could have better results

Egzoset

Salutations Brown Thumb,
Salutations HazyFontazy,
Salutations Old Toker,

...how about a vape with some stricking activist slogan? « Vape now and save a kid from the "harms" of "mari-caca" tomorrow!... »

Printed on shirts, hats, even shoes and skin (as tatoo)!

Hummm... Maybe only 30 seconds, certainly not 3+ minutes! But yeah, though i'd push the psychotronic envelope in a gross obvious way for a funier caricatural tone, with alternative audio entertainment ultimately!

So why not! Don't be shy, have something kinkier than those ugly patches in their costumes (at sensible locations), saying in bold letters « i'm not showing! », which is just as fine, but lets not advertize it this way, etc. Briefly put i found the esthetics require some serious artistic touch-up, yet i'm thinking of reptilian extra-terrestrials all the sudden... since it's about the image of Justing MiniPET/MiniHarper/SuperPéteux Trudeau - his father's son.

So... That would be why there's a need for some splash effects which shall prove worthy my favourite weapon of mass seduction (shown below) exactly!

picture.php

Its labelled "vapo", on the right side and now here's the recipe:

picture.php

...then some internal principle schematic to assist with deciphering:

picture.php

Above: SiC Front Puck
Center: 17-Holes Metal Disc, ideally a Curie alloy.
Bottom: Top-of-Bowl SiC Puck
Under: Brass Screen, wrapped to provide resilient/flexible support.​

Now the beast exposed without its shell:

picture.php

It offers Self-Moisturization and IH compatibility as a bonus, combined to Micro-Bursting which helps in optimizing my vaporization-to-baking ratio, i believe, though at the moment i no longer have access to strong throttle flames to compare. That's inconvenient because of a paradoxical effect where delays must be avoided in priority as that will increase uncertainty until operator errors occur. Using a power throttle flame i found Micro-Bursting was more performant but also less forgiving, yet it was a most pleasant aroma/taste trade-off scenario, depending on the perspective i guess!

All made possible in pulsed-mode because of the material's excellent transitional resulting properties, as a thermal bottle. M'well... Anyway the heat "bubble" is quick to enter my cannabic bowl, followed shortly by a final cooling purge, so to speak... Hence "conservation" wise.

...looked at leftovers under a scope and it looks like a wasteland after a nuclear blast... ...if u put crap in you'll get crap out...

Great idea for a « Before vs After » contest!

If we can agree that the vaping process does decarboxylate... ... ...how much THC is remaining (if any) in the browns, and is it worth using/keeping?

It depends on the amount of cumulative baking i would argue, then this other aspect:

picture.php

Trichomes

On the left side my precious resin glands appeared to stick more to vegetal substrate surfaces right under, the lower-left corner snapshot in particular. While in an ideal situation i'd want my trichomes to stand on a short stub, each with its tiny well-cured/resinous sugar-like gland ready to be melted by the next front-wave of convective heat, nearly as on the other picture side. Evidently the "grinder" shreading messes it up a lot, still better dry than not i think.

Trichomes that form a thick surface coating won't vaporize as readily i believe, which brings the matter of delay and then that of "baking", if not the problematic concentration of tar/cauldron residues linked to such baking delay, as i may have pointed out previously... In this operation mode one must not evaluate my illustrations in static terms, movement is required to make it work as there's no event meant to last since it's based on transitional features that help avoid over-heating signs precisely, etc...

Good day, have fun!!

Last edited:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I've been vapeng for at least 8 years (??). This is page 9 and i'd guess by now the OP has bought some kinda vape but my $.02:

no one has mentioned Silver Surfer desktop. Half the cost of a volcano, it's a wand type vape.. I have 3, just incase one dies and one is set up with an e-nail for dabbing. It sits next to my computer and 1-2 hits every once in a while keeps me 'stable'.

as far as portables, pax sux.. don't waste your money.. the rest are OK if one doesn't expect anywhere near the performance of a desk top (SSV or Volcano, ariser extreme is good too).

and to whoever asked, the smell of exhaling vaped weed smells allot like popcorn (to me) and nothing like cannabis. I've had my most noseworthy friend here and she didn't know I was doing it in the other room..

Old Toker

I've been vapeng for at least 8 years (??). This is page 9 and i'd guess by now the OP has bought some kinda vape but my $.02:
Thanks Snook!:tiphat: Yes...I did finallly buy a vape. Went with a Solo II and it seems to be working fine for my needs. However....I will keep the Silver Surfer in mind in the event that things change.....which they often do. :)
and to whoever asked, the smell of exhaling vaped weed smells allot like popcorn (to me) and nothing like cannabis...
This was me also. I agree....like popcorn. My wife has an incredible nose (and has never smoked ANYTHING)....she couldn't smell anything that resembled pot either.
Thanks again! :tiphat:

Old Toker

Salutations Brown Thumb,
Salutations HazyFontazy,
Salutations Old Toker...
Thank you sir for the great pics and advice. Unfortunately......you are "casting pearls before swine". I'm not nearly smart enough to understand what you are saying.....but I do appreciate the effort!:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
one other thing... the best reason to vape is no sulfur (match), petroleum (lighter fluid or butane), tar & nicotine...
but the vaping process -if ya suk too hard - gives a residual 'powder' that when inhaled might be worse than the others. There is nothing between your mouth and the bowl. I have been using an in-line gas filter spliced into the hose of the wand between my mouth and the bowl. It catches enough of this stuff to make me worry.. probably should get an ash catcher/water filter..

Old Toker

but the vaping process -if ya suk too hard - gives a residual 'powder' that when inhaled might be worse than the others.
How hard is "too" hard? Has anyone published any studies on this powder? Definitely doesn't sound too healthy. And if it isn't, I'm OK with edibles.
Thanks for the info!:tiphat:

Egzoset

Salutations,

This is page 9 and i'd guess by now the OP has bought some kinda vape...

Well i've certainly couldn't but notice that he now owns an Arizer Solo II, then he equally made reference to baking-related matters as left-over material - which spells tar in my book:

15dsyt5.jpg

28tkvbt.jpg

That was a 1-week osmosis filtration experiment involving 172 g of "ABV" (e.g. left-over material), where water was replaced with fresh water every day, ensuring every part was submerged and it all rested in a cool dark place. Past the removal of water-solubles some further treatment using alcohol extraction followed if i'm not mistaking. The outcome was a repulsive ½ gram tarball with zero value to me...

Unfortunately, as i recall, i was using my (jumbo) Solo like contraption at the time - which points a finger right at BAKING once again.

...as far as portables... ... ...OK if one doesn't expect anywhere near the performance of a desk top...

Even the "performance" of a desktop will fail me, now imagine a portable! Some people think smaller means simpler but the necessary trade-offs makes that just the opposite IMO.

...had my most noseworthy friend here and she didn't know I was doing it in the other room...

Lets concur! I was sitting right next to a close relative in the same living room and he was clueless, but that's a smoker...

...the best reason to vape is no sulfur (match), petroleum (lighter fluid or butane), tar & nicotine...

There are many ways to "vape" noble molecules. Smoking partly vaporizes, e-Cigs use e-Liquid as their Release/Transport Agent instead of the toxic cigarette mix, while vaporizers divide as sub-groups including the Dry-Baking Overnizers (portable or otherwise), the Self-Moisturizing (and hopefully someday the Auto-Conditioning) type which i've adopted as my last-chance option, then a futuristic process involving the pressurized nebulization of pre-activated compounds...

So to me there's excellent reason to want to eliminate sulfur, petroleum, lighter fluid, tar/cauldron and nicotine, but i must objectively digress on butane because its clean-burning reaction generates distilled super-heated water steam mixed with super-heated carbonic gas which contribute to the heater stream as INLET "specific heat" enhancement. Which makes a significant difference already while i wish "zero impurities" (filtered) butane tanks are eventually replaced by bio-generated butane - without the comet dust - to please purists who believe this is required to begin doing some good in this increasingly elitist "community"... Another possible substitution being electro-magnetic induction heat combined to the Curie effect (for packetization/dosage), using an auxiliary boiler/evaporator holding a droplet or 2 of distilled water...

In any case a simple self-moisturizing pipe is many times cheaper than most table units anyway and nonetheless it has very little competition still today, thanks to purists. Please keep in mind that engineering is no popularity contest nor a religion!

...a residual 'powder'...

It may be related to particle size, at least that's how i came to explain my own relief feeling when i flush internal surface irritation by drinking water. Which only makes the double function of INLET SELF-MOISTURIZING even more precious and most especially in a pocket/portable format (that still works when gone deep in wild nature...)!!

So it's not even the concept that is flawed, only our $elf-$erving terrori$t politi¢ians, In The Name Of Children!...

:pirate:

...when inhaled might be worse than the others.

My advice would be to focuss on the process instead of making references to its associated power source. A Hammer, Lotus, VapMan, Vaponic and similar strictly ain't equivalent to the VaporGenie concept relying on clean hot butane exhaust gasses mixed with convective heat from a flame's corona - and my moddified version more than ever actually. The 1st type is just as any Dry-Baking Ovenizer, the Supreme too but i like its early de-facto promoting of a more well-defined "bursting" (pulse-mode) without really advertizing its benefits specifically: it's in the design. Today we got the DynaVap at an even lower cost while i noticed the patent mentions liquid, but right now it's going to feel dry just like the others. Possibly the differences that separate them from each other is the particle size, but i found that i could deal with the lack of water even less. Not to mention dry filtration as mine causes particles to stick to moist fibers which increasingly collect more as condensation builds up in my flexible Extension Tubing. Doubling as a self-awareness feature directly reflecting the consumed amount, visually. All this in a tiny simple healty ~100 $ (CAD) device where operator skills combined to the quality of a complement butane lighter + butane gas are no less critical by the way...

How hard is "too" hard?

It's OKay to ask questions but get prepared for the answers, then the answers on the answers! Etc...

Good day, have fun!! :tiphat:

Last edited:

Bobby Boucher

Probably barking up the wrong tree here, but personally, I'm a terp-a-holic. I can't get my jollies off without the full sweet flavor of my meds. I've tried nearly every dry herb vaporizer under the sun and I still get a popcorn flavor, even from the tastiest herbs.

If you aren't super into the flavor and aromas, a dry herb vaporizer is probably the way to go. However, IMO, processing a couple grams of herb to make a little .5 of bho is always worth it.

6" 10mm ID x 14mm OD glass tube + rubber stopper, couple bucks on ebay.
Rubber bands and coffee filters, $.02
Filtered butane for half gram run, $.20 @ 5 bucks a can.
Extra Ball jar, lying around any growers house
Barbed fitting for ball jar, $5
Hand pump to create vacuum in jar, ~ 10 bucks online
14mm Nectar collector (smoking utensil), $11 on dhgate

Essentially the exact same thing. Just a matter of preference. Vaping is vaping. I would think bho has more effect in the aromatherapy department however, due to its undeniably better flavor and smell, and would definitely come out more economical in the end due to the fact that you wont be replacing heads and batteries all the time, providing you go the propane torch route and stay away from the pens.

Whichever way you go, you're gonna save a ton of pot and money. Vaporizing is way more economical than combustion.

Old Toker

Well i've certainly couldn't but notice that he now owns an Arizer Solo II, then he equally made reference to baking-related matters as left-over material - which spells tar in my book
So far the only baked goods that I've made were with Malawi decarbed in the oven. That was pre-vape days. Since I've gotten the Solo II...I have attempted to discern whether there is any/enough THC left in the "browns" (ABV) to justify keeping and either eating...or making cannabutter with. I'm going to count your vote as a "NO" as to whether it's worth keeping.... because it's full of unhealthy sh*t. Clearly an important consideration.
Thank you for the information.:tiphat:

Egzoset

Hi again Old Toker,

Since I've gotten the Solo II...I have attempted to discern whether there is any/enough THC left in the "browns" (ABV) to justify keeping and either eating...or making cannabutter with. I'm going to count your vote as a "NO" as to whether it's worth keeping...

A repulsive tarball scheduled to be re-vaped ain't the same as an edible based on some oil infusion without much of the taste and/or ashtray smell. Yet it's quite true i didn't even want to consider that scenario neither, indeed because of the unwanted concentrating effect, etc.

In days when i was a fresh newbie with little confidence i managed somehow to get some extract that looked like the condensed "honey" substance in that Solo glass tube below:

10psvti.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind dry flowers can't respond alone to every existing need.

Anyway my dry flower nuggets looked thoroughly toasted/depleted after these finally came out of my simili "jumbo" Solo... Evidently the vegetal substrate had been subjected to EXTENSIVE heating beyond what's actually useful for any vaporist device!

2wppicp.jpg

2h6dhc4.jpg

And yet as a result of multiple factors it often came to feel as if i was chasing a ghost...

Good day, have fun. :tiphat:

Last edited:

Old Toker

Whichever way you go, you're gonna save a ton of pot and money. Vaporizing is way more economical than combustion.
Thank you sir. :tiphat:
I have noticed the same amount of product does seem to go further in a vape than combustion. While I am NOT too old to go through the necessary steps for BHO...I am too lazy. Vaping with the Solo II is just so easy. I don't even grind my material. Turn on vape. Press a piece of flower into the stem. Insert stem. Wait a few seconds and inhale. So simple even an Old Toker can do it.
Combined with some edibles.....and I think my needs are fulfilled.
Thanks again....I do appreciate the advice. :tiphat:

Bobby Boucher

Not gonna lie, it is pretty time consuming stuffing tiny little tubes and hand pumping a purger.. A half hour of blasting usually sees me through an entire week of non-stop vaping though, so not too bad.

Different strokes for different folks. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts