What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple bong builds for under $12! w/built-in diffusers and detachable ice chambers.

NG2k

cough_cough_eer said:
nice one NG2K. :bongsmi:You should copy that design in glass :bongsmi: building in glass is a little more expensive, but worth it..

thats what im gonna do eer. mite add a third chamber if i can afford it, if not a decent ashtray will take its place. will take me a fair while, but im happy to have a crack at it. bits and pieces here and there need buying and i need some glass drill bits aswell. should be good will keep you posted....
ever tried a multichamber bong?

TBug

Plz forget you know me...Sugaree
Veteran
NG2k said:
doesnt water work better than marbles or are the marbles in the water aswell?
that bong i got there must have my no more than £3 ($5) in the 3 years ive had it....
gonna cost a lot more when i build it in glass tho :yoinks::biglaugh:
some good builds u got there Tbug and Eer
ever tried a multi-chamber bong?
High 2k! :wave: yeah, sorry! the marbles are in the water. they also extend the amount of time the smoke is IN the water, which I should have mentioned before...lol. Peace, TBug
Here is a shot from my latest harvest...enjoy!

Soopaman_luva

TBug said:
High cough! :wave: way to go! plus rep, even though you cheated,,lol. But way to use what what ya got. GOOD WORK! If you check out wall-marts craft sec, you can find even smaller "flat" marbles.
*thought* Have you ever seen a busted windshield from a car? those little sharp-edged squares and triangles? I would think that would be perfect. Instead of just sliding over the marbles, every time the smoke hit a shrp edge on the way up, itd split up a bit more. ...just a thought
Anyway, if I ever get aroun to putting my thinking cap back on, Ill definately post what I come up with.
been busy with my current grow. down to last several weeks. Hoping I can finish them all, before I move :yoinks: Peace and thanks, TBug

Just an idea, how about certain kind of lego blocks? I remember some of those had some finger-busting sharp corners, and the small square shaped would be correct size also. Only thing about them is that i don't really know if the float or not? Anybody wanna try? :D peace
:joint:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Just for future reference for anyone that wants to know, McDonalds ice is amazing. It works so much better than ice from an ice tray, most likely because it has sharp edges and much more surface area. Go to McDonalds, get a large ice water, ask for extra ice, and fill up your bong. It is great because that is the perfect amount for my bong, both ice and water.

TBug

Veteran
High bounty! yeah, smaller ice is better. is thiere's crushed? I have the small "mini" ice trays that make nice little cubes. they work great.

btw....
im pretty sure legos float, plus they also have the ability to trap air. so the could trap smoke if they werent all upside down..
Peace, TBug

G

Two words: Erlenmeyer Flask! My personal favorite from High School, given to me by the Biology teacher. And yes, he knew what we were doing with it. Sadly lost in a family feud at a friend's house. I've found them online for cheap, may have to make another. I also have lots of 2-5 gallon glass carboys, that would be a killer smoke for sure! I've also found some plastic stuff that I like for when glass would be too heavy or break. The best of the plastic so far is a cooking sake bottle, I think it's 1 liter, beautiful emerald color and six-sided. I get stems and bowls at the local shop for ~5 bucks.

We've been making bongs out of mason jars lately, the craft store is a dangerous place to be when you're in the proper frame of mind. They have all kinds of cool marbles, stones, etc. plus the mason jar glasses with the handle. That's also where I get bud jars, and jars to gift bud in. Pics later.

TBug

Veteran
FlipMode said:
Two words: Erlenmeyer Flask! My personal favorite from High School, given to me by the Biology teacher. And yes, he knew what we were doing with it. Sadly lost in a family feud at a friend's house. I've found them online for cheap, may have to make another. I also have lots of 2-5 gallon glass carboys, that would be a killer smoke for sure! I've also found some plastic stuff that I like for when glass would be too heavy or break. The best of the plastic so far is a cooking sake bottle, I think it's 1 liter, beautiful emerald color and six-sided. I get stems and bowls at the local shop for ~5 bucks.

We've been making bongs out of mason jars lately, the craft store is a dangerous place to be when you're in the proper frame of mind. They have all kinds of cool marbles, stones, etc. plus the mason jar glasses with the handle. That's also where I get bud jars, and jars to gift bud in. Pics later.
High flip! lol..thats good stuff. thanks for the tips! Peace, TBug

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Here's a couple bong modifcations that are nice and cheap, and will turn any standard cheapo-acrylic bong into an amazing smoking device.

First, my ice catcher. Drill four holes through the bottom of the neck of the bong, and thread a piece of string or wire (what I used) through them. I sealed them up with some silicone sealant to keep it from leaking when I pour it out.

Then, my diffuser. I was inspired by this thread, I saw someone else do it and wanted to give it a try. I was at The Christmas Tree Shops with my girlfriend, saw some marbles, and said, "Hey, why not?" Well, it cost $2 for two bags, and that was all I needed. I can take much larger hits than before, and it feels easier to smoke out of.

NG2k

thats good bounty, i dont understand how the "ice-catcher" works tho. do you add ice on top of the wire so it is above the water and the smoke floats up round/through it?
peace NG2k :joint:

G

Tbug, awesome thread, very helpful for anyone and everyone!

If you are up for a little more money (well spent), the glass beads in the craft store beads/necklace area has very nice glass beads that match up with high-end glass designs. and go down the very small sizes up to about marble size. Good way to go small on glass diffusion. My glass twist just hit the floor the other night so I'm out on the hunt for salvagable glass pieces. I'll be doing a mcguyver glass very shortly, I'll have to post - don't know price range will leave me though.

Pyrex knows glass!
J.

P.S. Stay away from "seed beads" they clog after the 2nd bowl. Seems there is such a thing as too fine of diffusion for smoke which contains a gumming resin. Who'd a thunk? :bat:

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
NG2k - Yeah, it's hard to see in that shot but the wire is just threaded through in an X shape. You just put ice down the mouthpiece part and it rests on top of that wire. The smoke then passes the ice on it's way to your lungs, cooling it down. Honestly, I have a hard time with ice because it makes the smoke so cool that I take way more than I should, and I end up coughing all over the place.

NG2k

ah.... thought so. if i use ice i just put it straight into the water of my two chambers.
and i will be building mine in glass....... eventually..... :wink:

TBug

Veteran
bounty29 said:
Here's a couple bong modifcations that are nice and cheap, and will turn any standard cheapo-acrylic bong into an amazing smoking device.

First, my ice catcher. Drill four holes through the bottom of the neck of the bong, and thread a piece of string or wire (what I used) through them. I sealed them up with some silicone sealant to keep it from leaking when I pour it out.

Then, my diffuser. I was inspired by this thread, I saw someone else do it and wanted to give it a try. I was at The Christmas Tree Shops with my girlfriend, saw some marbles, and said, "Hey, why not?" Well, it cost $2 for two bags, and that was all I needed. I can take much larger hits than before, and it feels easier to smoke out of.

High Bounty! thats great way to make modifactions! would you have been able to just stack the marbles to the ice. that way the ice could set on the marbles and you would need the wire. Would that work?
Peace and thanks for sharing, bugout:Bolt:

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
I wish i could find a suitable 3 ft bottle...

I wish i could find a suitable 3 ft bottle...

I'm ready to make another one.... one with an ice chamber maybe.....lots of good ideas here

NG2k

ahhhh.... good to see this thread alive again :D.

i started building my bong (see above) in glass.... using a 3ft glass vase and a smaller glass vase. now drilling glass is not easy and takes patience and on the last hole of the 3ft vase i slowly sped up and the thing shattered, slicing my hand in the process.

so..... it'll be a while before i continue with that build again :badday:
NG2k :joint:

TBug

Veteran
High 2k! Dude, sorry to hear that about you hand. That sux. I had a bottle shatter in my hand as I tried to drill it as well, luckily it didnt cut me. But I guess it could of, huh?
Yeah, Ima gettin ready to try a little glass action myself. Ill deffinately post a pic here once I gather all the parts.
Peace and "important safety tip...thanks Egon!", ...lol bugout :Bolt:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
TBug said:
High Bounty! thats great way to make modifactions! would you have been able to just stack the marbles to the ice. that way the ice could set on the marbles and you would need the wire. Would that work?
Peace and thanks for sharing, bugout:Bolt:

That's a great idea. (That bong has been retired, it fell apart after being beat up a few too many times.) When I was making those changes, I did the ice catcher thing months before I added the marbles. If I get another one, I'll definitely just pile marbles up to where the ice catcher was.

That makes me think.... Why use ice? Why not keep a bowl of marbles in the freezer, and then when you're ready, fill the whole tube up with frozen marbles. Lots and lots of diffusion and surface area. Now that is something I want to try...

TBug

Veteran
bounty29 said:
That's a great idea. (That bong has been retired, it fell apart after being beat up a few too many times.) When I was making those changes, I did the ice catcher thing months before I added the marbles. If I get another one, I'll definitely just pile marbles up to where the ice catcher was.

That makes me think.... Why use ice? Why not keep a bowl of marbles in the freezer, and then when you're ready, fill the whole tube up with frozen marbles. Lots and lots of diffusion and surface area. Now that is something I want to try...
High bounty! ...dude...nailed it! thats the most asome idea yet. be trying that tonight..lol

Peace bro, bugout

NG2k

TBug said:
High 2k! Dude, sorry to hear that about you hand. That sux. I had a bottle shatter in my hand as I tried to drill it as well, luckily it didnt cut me. But I guess it could of, huh?
Yeah, Ima gettin ready to try a little glass action myself. Ill deffinately post a pic here once I gather all the parts.
Peace and "important safety tip...thanks Egon!", ...lol bugout :Bolt:

whats the important safety tip :confused:

TBug

Veteran
NG2k said:
whats the important safety tip :confused:
High 2k! lol..watch the glass doesnt shatter in your hand I guess. I was just quoting Ghostbusters, really...lol
Peace, bugout