What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Large scale PPK system

Desert Hydro

Veteran
hey DH! nice setup! the nh4 is usually not a good idea in any form of hydro or automated soilless. but that is a low amount so it may work out ok. it could be responsible for the color change.

i'm looking hard at led's now.

nice work!

thank you. means a lot coming from the master ;)

once i get this system dialed i will try and get a proper side by side of LED v HID

Desert Hydro

Veteran
things have perked up a little bit over the last couple days. still feel like im dialing stuff in but i will get there. my cloner has roots in it!

also been working on adding some nice little finishing touches to the LEDs i build lime built in cable glands and such. now all i need is female plugs so i can plug the cords into the light without splicing into them

Attachments

• MVIMG_20171205_163258.jpg
    MVIMG_20171205_163258.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 8
  • MVIMG_20171205_170030.jpg
    MVIMG_20171205_170030.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 8

Speed of green

i actually appreciate the input on the overfeeding. took me a while to realize what i was doing wrong.

been dialing back the ferts. i was going heavy since i was running CO2 but then noticed they didnt want or need it. that coupled with overwatering has messed me up a little bit. got it all sorted out i think.

the weird mutations were from being monster cropped accidentally in veg. timer led to an initiation of flower and then i caught it and reversed it. caused some weird ass growth structure and leaves.

changed the nutes because i was running out of jacks and wanted to try something similar but with a few additives. they are almost identical as far as ratios but this has silica, kelp aminos etc. heres the low down i did up

MEGACROP @ 6G PER GALLON
Element PPM calculation
Total Nitrogen (N) 158.5040
Nitrate Nitrogen (NO3-) 152.1563
Ammonical Nitrogen (NH4+) 6.3403
Phosphorous (P) 38.0431
Potassium (K) 190.7790
Magnesium (Mg) 30.1152
Calcium (Ca) 103.0256
Sulfur (S) 17.4353
Iron (Fe) 1.2682
Zinc (Zn) 1.7433
Boron (B) 1.2682
Manganese (Mn) 1.2682
Copper (Cu) 0.7925
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.1584
Silicon (Si) 1.5849
Total PPM 545.9994

JACKS NPK @ 1.2 EC
Total ppm
Nitrogen (All Nitrate) N 150
Phosphorus P 52
Potassium K 215
Calcium C 116
Magnesium Mg 63
Sulfur S 82
Iron Fe 3
Manganese Mn 0.50
Zinc Zn 0.15
Copper Cu 0.15
Boron B 0.50
Molybdenum Mo 0.10
TOTAL PPM 600

i have run into the same issue with overfeeding this round, i cut my overall feed back and flushed my ppk's manually with ph'd tap.

refilled my system with a slightly different ratio @1.0e.c and after a week things have started to lighten up a bit

ive got about 19 days left till chop so im hoping to see some fade here in the coming weeks.

this is the ratio im doing in flower & equal parts by volume in veg.

As per jacks instructions

130oz into 1000gal = 3.6g/gal
86oz into 1000gal = 2.4g/gal

probably not a noticeable difference between the 321 & this but fuck it, why not introduce some precision.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i have run into the same issue with overfeeding this round, i cut my overall feed back and flushed my ppk's manually with ph'd tap.

refilled my system with a slightly different ratio @1.0e.c and after a week things have started to lighten up a bit

ive got about 19 days left till chop so im hoping to see some fade here in the coming weeks.

this is the ratio im doing in flower & equal parts by volume in veg.

As per jacks instructions

130oz into 1000gal = 3.6g/gal
86oz into 1000gal = 2.4g/gal

probably not a noticeable difference between the 321 & this but fuck it, why not introduce some precision.

are you really mixing 1000gal at a time?? i thought my 55 was a lot haha

Speed of green

are you really mixing 1000gal at a time?? i thought my 55 was a lot haha

there are 6 individual ppk systems, 15 plant sites per system.

there is a main 5000gal res and that feeds into 275gal ibc totes via float valve.

the 275's feed into a 27 gal control bucket via another float valve.

picture.php
picture.php

Speed of green

Thanks, its been a fair amount of work to get it all up and running/dialed in.

I looked into that megacrop, seems legit. im interested to see how it performs in your systems. i might do a side by side and see if there is a difference.

are you in a commercial space? do you know off hand what you are paying per KWH? is it tiered?

JohnM

hello everyone!
many of you guys know me on here. some may not. ive been away for a bit but ive come back with motivation and determination to set up a LARGE PPK system.

the goal is to set up a large scale perpetual PPK system utilizing multiple different ppk's in sets of 12. every two weeks a new set will be started.

veg will be conducted in a 8x24 room and will have multiple stations where everything will get moved up to the next rung every two weeks in order to fulfill the cycle. these will be on flood and drain tables in pots of turface to keep the work to a minimum. CO2 will be supplied at 1200 ppm during veg to keep things moving quickly.

flowering will be done in an open room with 12' ceilings and tons of ventilation to keep things fresh.

as of right now the main strain is a very nice cut of OG Raskals OG Kush. we also have single plants of killingfields x bubba kush(Katzu cut i belive), chemmy jones and herijuana being flowered out to test, and mothers started just in case we get keepers.

more beans are popped but will not go into the PPK's until they are flowered out in an 8x8 coco room to test the legitimacy of the strains. got 501st OG, sweet tooth, pot of gold and jackberry popped as of today.

Each ppk system will only contain one strain. there will be no mixing to keep nutrient incompatibility to a minimum.

nutrients are as follows: jacks, the end :) i like to keep things simple. jacks in a ppk with RO means 5.6 ph dead on with no fluctuation, end of story, at least IME, your mileage may vary

we may get a little crazy and add a bloom booster to one row of ppk to test and see if they are worth a damn or not. probably will use bloombastic but im open to suggestions since i havent bought it yet. i do have a gallon of liquid koolbloom so i may be a cheap bastard and use what i have rather than spend any money lol.

i am a huge fan of vertical lighting when temperatures permit but unfortunately i will have to run these horizontal with air cooled hoods as the summers are out of control in so cal.

lighting will be conducted with 20 1k's over the flower area and about 4k in veg as well as some t5's on the little guys.

still prepping the place and building day by day but the 8kw coco run will be vert scrogged after tomorrow or the next day if all goes well. i may be setting up my blumats once they are in place so i can have an occasional night off. i loves me some blumats in coco. match made in heaven!

thats all for now. stay safe and stay legal :)
Now this pot grow operation sounds definitely impressive! Are you a commercial grower and distributor?

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Thanks, its been a fair amount of work to get it all up and running/dialed in.

I looked into that megacrop, seems legit. im interested to see how it performs in your systems. i might do a side by side and see if there is a difference.

are you in a commercial space? do you know off hand what you are paying per KWH? is it tiered?

skip the megacrop, no offense to megacrop. the nutrients work great BUT its a daily battle to keep ph down. i'll put it to 5.8 and the next morning it will be 6.4 even in a res thats sitting just holding nutrients. circulation on or off makes no difference.

THAT BEING SAID, i would recommend it to people in soil or any media that needs lightly higher Ph. it seems to hold right at 6.4 and hasnt climbed any higher.

it also leaves a lot of sediment in the bottom. must be the kelp and chitosan/ other natural stuff.

my seedlings love it in their coco BUT i have to chase the Ph which i dont wanna deal with. im using RO water at like 15ppm and have never had this issue with jacks. next up is veg plus bloom trial lol.
its only 8X the price of jacks so why not?

waltersobchak

Have you looked at swapping out those ceiling tiles for commercial grade washable/waterproof, mold and mildew resistant, uv resistant, fire retardant class A tiles? Typically used in kitchens, usda and fda compliant .

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Have you looked at swapping out those ceiling tiles for commercial grade washable/waterproof, mold and mildew resistant, uv resistant, fire retardant class A tiles? Typically used in kitchens, usda and fda compliant .

no, didnt know that existed. thanks for the tip. sounds expensive haha.

i will be moving out after this round so i wont be investing any more into the building. thanks for the heads up though. safety is always a concern

How easy is it to get a licence to supply patients? I could go a move overseas haha. Been waiting for it to happen here in New Zealand but I don't think they would follow your system if it did, government would screw the little guy out of any profit, and possibly require botany degrees or similar...

Desert Hydro

Veteran
How easy is it to get a licence to supply patients? I could go a move overseas haha. Been waiting for it to happen here in New Zealand but I don't think they would follow your system if it did, government would screw the little guy out of any profit, and possibly require botany degrees or similar...

depends on which state youre in. the easy ones have a shit ton of competition which drives prices into the dirt.

heres a shot of some colas filling in on the ninja fruit. still not turning purple yet. has me worried since its supposed to be solid purple and thats why i ran it. smells great. BO mixed with grapefruit and sour fruit. if it fills in proper like it looks like its going to i might still do OK. got 4 LED light engines on the way to drop some extra watts on the outer perimeter plants. should help them drastically.

i dumped the megacrop as my Ph kept rising daily. i pumped/vacuumed the whole system out and refilled with jacks at 1.2 tried and true. no more fucking around lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20171209_165651.jpg
    IMG_20171209_165651.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 10

Hey dh, how do the led compare to hid lights? I'm looking to upgrade my lighting any time now but am leaning more towards cmh as i grow vert. But if led is good enough I'd look at those and horizontal instead. Problem is here it's 600 - 700 dollars per cmh setup, so unless they come down in price real soon I can't justify the money..

Desert Hydro

Veteran
Hey dh, how do the led compare to hid lights? I'm looking to upgrade my lighting any time now but am leaning more towards cmh as i grow vert. But if led is good enough I'd look at those and horizontal instead. Problem is here it's 600 - 700 dollars per cmh setup, so unless they come down in price real soon I can't justify the money..

6-700 for the 315s? That price is step for any light unless it's really nice. You could diy one for around 500$ or less depending on layout and size you are trying to cover. With 500 I could do one cob per sqft and cover a 4x4 with the gen5 Citi 1212s at about 40w each. Works extremely well for me

Latest posts

Latest posts