What's new

You should only top once.....

You should only top once indoors, as otherwise you will end up with lots of small buds instead of bag appeal big buds.

This applies unless you are growing trees.

Discuss.

PDX Dopesmoker

Bag appeal big buds are rot prone and should only be grown in a controlled indoor environment, otherwise you should top as often as possible.

This applies especially if you are growing trees and have lots of free time.

plz repsond

Bag appeal big buds are rot prone and should only be grown in a controlled indoor environment, otherwise you should top as often as possible.

This applies especially if you are growing trees and have lots of free time.

plz repsond

If you top often as possible you will have heaps of small buds that are a pain to trim and look like shake in the bag.

You can do big buds indoors, but you must have a fan blowing strongly on them; it's the still air more than the humidity I think that will make them mold.

I have grown some big budded Afghani's and Afghani crosses in summer when the humidity is up into the 80's and higher, and long as they are all getting wind blowing on them day and night then they didn't mold.

But some Critical Mass from Mr Nice are on the way, the biggest yielders out there I'm led to believe, and they will be flowering in a humid summer, so that will really put my theory to the test.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Disagree, multi topping is the way to go
picture.php

picture.php

soserthc1

It's all strain plant depending and mold has never been a issue indoors. Not even at 80/70 t/h
I have 1plant that will yield better if not topped frequently
More tops the merrier

kanzzzz

You should only top once indoors, as otherwise you will end up with lots of small buds instead of bag appeal big buds.

This applies unless you are growing trees.

Discuss.

From what im seeing , it all depends on the strain you grow.

To give you an example , the main thing I grow is cheesewreck. This strain never grows into donkey dicks, it just grows branches with loads of golf balls on it.

By topping it loads of times you gain more bud sites and more buds really.
Now If the plant grew huge donkey dick colas , I don't know if topping would help.

But for that strain the extra bud slots stranslate to more bud , as long as light is good enough to deal with the size.

Seams to be the more sativa a plant is , the more it will gain from topping in a sense.

Levitationofme

I have a vertically challenged grow space. I Get the effect im looking for by going for the FIM when the seedling looks ready, then tieing down the branches.
It works.

But to come close to using my space wisely I have to train 1 or 2
plants.

Im still fairly new to this myself.

Halakon

was gonna say its strain dependent, my Sour D #2 loves growing like a bush from alot of topping i gave on a ton of attention making a wonderful bush but ended up making small not very dense buds, vs the one i was lazy about and topped once, got phat dense colas, NOW the other side of it, i got way more weight off the small buds, than a few big buds, by 3x as much

mowood3479

Veteran
It's also very strain dependent.

This
Ime it depends a lot on the strain and also on the style of grow.
Imo there is no universal "right" way to prune.
Some plants I top 6x some plants I let grow naturally. It all depends on the end goal.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Trimming the inside branches tends to cause the outer buds to bulk up & appear larger.
Doesn't mean they have more bag appeal though...

Bag appeal is as person dependent as variety being sought.

The bottom of the bag is nearly always more appealing, to me. It's where all the microscopic glands tend to be... Call it bag keif if ya like.

Latest posts

Latest posts