What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

My first plant, need tips for an inside grow please!

phuongerhuynh

Hello ICmag!

I am new here, been a member and lurker for a while but never had a chance to be able to grow my own plant until now. That being said, I am a noob and would appreciate ANY help. Thank you guys in advance!!:) (Also sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.. I am a newbie)

I have received my first single plant as a gift, I was told it is about 2-3 weeks old and should be ready to flower in about 2 weeks. Was also told it is alien OG.

I have no experience and limited knowledge (only internet and lurking on this forum) and was wondering about the basics..
How much and how often do I water it?

As well as which nutrient do you recommend the most, and how often would I give it nutrients?

As for lights, what would you guys recommend for just one plant? I was reading HPS but will be pricey, but I won't mind.

I've been reading around, but would also like to ask personally, especially because most tips are for multiple plants.

And if there are any other tips/advice/concerns/recommendations, please please let me know. I really do not want my plant to die! hahah (PS. I don't expect a great batch or anything, and I realize one plant is a waste but that's okay with me)

I have one plant and it is being kept outside on a patio ( for the sunlight ) for now in a pot with dirt/soil (how I received it) until I can buy the right lights/setup so I can control the 12 hr light/dark cycles when it needs to flower.

I am a beginner and am only doing this out of passion and for fun to learn about the plant I have come to love so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you guys again in advance!

From a fellow weed lover

ps, should I post a pic of the plant?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
A few quick questions first please, it will help with the answers.
How many hours of light do you get?
Do you live somewhere with easy access to compost?
How much space do you have for the indoor set up?
You may be surprise d by how easy it can be .

H

Huckster79

You can do it cheap for trial run if you want. I had great succes my first grow inn a gutted old frezer made a light rig and mounted about 8 or 10 wally world cfls and a $15 fart fan.... but yea more details n we can give u more specifics. But just wanted to say the first part tomassure you you dont need to spent thousands or even hundreds to have a good run

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Mentor
Veteran
Indoor space for flowering is very important. This will determine many variables for the balance of your grow. This plant in a 25 gallon pot is at 8' high and is under four 600 watt HPS lights. Keep things simple and when you feel the need to try something that will really super tune it's growth. Walk out of the room, you will thank yourself later. Do you plan on doing another grow in the future? Don't buy equipment you will only use once to get started. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?u...&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_itpxgxz50&zw This package will give you a great place to start and grow from. PlanetNatural.com I picked lower end HPS bulbs in this package. I have used them and keep some as spares. You will also need the spare timer. Easy to change light cycles and test with a lamp before you put it in the grow room. The service at planet natural is top notch also. For watering it depends on how much moisture your soil mix holds. In a 10 gallon container a 1/2 gallon every 3 days should work fine. If you can feel moisture in soil 3/4" to 1" down. Check it again the next day. (don't over water) If using MH or HPS lights. I recommend keeping them at least 1'1/2 to 2' from your plants at all times.:tiphat::tiphat: Hope this helps. Peace

phuongerhuynh

10_19_16.jpg

bigbadbiddy

for future considerations:
When posting pictures, make sure nothing in the picture can be used to identify you or your location.

To be safe, there should be nothing in the pic but the plant and a nondescript background (a blank wall for example).

You can see Vita Coco or what its called in your pick and even your power outlet/socket along with a bunch of other stuff.

This can all be used to locate you. Now if you are in a med-state and have a license etc. then I guess that's not that big of a deal.
But if you are anywhere else in the world, I would be very careful posting pics with so much info in them.

As to your original question:
Yes we could give you all that info but it has been given numerous times in numerous threads around here.

Read through the links posted by aridbud and look at the sticky threads in the various forum sections.

A lot of the questions you asked are super basic and described in any ol' cannabis growing book as well.

I suggest getting one of those, some are very short reads, all go over the basics you asked about and serve as the foundation for anyone's knowledge here.

I think Jorge Cervantes Marijuana Botany is quite well regarded but don't quote me on that. There are quite many books out there and if you can't afford them, some can even be found in libraries or obviously as downloads here or there.

phuongerhuynh

How many hours of natural sunlight? I live in SoCal so I get about 11 hours of sunlight (Sunrises @7am, sets around 6pm).
However, I plan to do an inside grow. (I figure because I can control everything better, such as temperature, light, and there would be less chances of bugs and mold, which I've heard is a problem).
I only plan to do one plant for now and I will have space inside. I was thinking of a cabinet or even my closet. Space is not a big problem for me. What kind of inside grows are recommended?

Update: Since I have no idea of what ratio of nutrients/water to water my plant, I asked a friend who gave me a gallon of his own nutrient/water mix and said water it every other day. (he said there was like ten ingredients/nutrients and alone would cost me 400 and in more bulk than I needed).
I have been watering it every other day like he said. How much does one plant usually need to be watered.? A lot of sites are saying different things, so I'm still experimenting myself.

Also it has been hot out lately and I noticed the soil is getting pretty dry.. so I watered it a little more. Was wondering if that was a good choice?

I am currently reading about it right now and it says to keep my plant around the low 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
Also, It is still on my patio during sunlight hours, however at night, I bring it inside because it gets to the low 60 degrees F.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!!

phuongerhuynh

When posting pictures, make sure nothing in the picture can be used to identify you or your location.

To be safe, there should be nothing in the pic but the plant and a nondescript background (a blank wall for example).

You can see Vita Coco or what its called in your pick and even your power outlet/socket along with a bunch of other stuff.

This can all be used to locate you. Now if you are in a med-state and have a license etc. then I guess that's not that big of a deal.
But if you are anywhere else in the world, I would be very careful posting pics with so much info in them.

Yes we could give you all that info but it has been given numerous times in numerous threads around here.

Read through the links posted by aridbud and look at the sticky threads in the various forum sections.

A lot of the questions you asked are super basic and described in any ol' cannabis growing book as well.

I suggest getting one of those, some are very short reads, all go over the basics you asked about and serve as the foundation for anyone's knowledge here.

I think Jorge Cervantes Marijuana Botany is quite well regarded but don't quote me on that. There are quite many books out there and if you can't afford them, some can even be found in libraries or obviously as downloads here or there.
thank you for the warning! I will post a new one

what are you smoking that got you all paranoid?...

i dare you to find his COUNTY :laughing:

corky1968

Veteran
I don't think anyone will be able to find out where you are from that pic. If they can they probably should be working for the NSA. :laughing:

phuongerhuynh, you have nothing to worry about.

Start by getting rid of that plastic bag around the pot and get a shallow tray instead for capturing run offs.

T

TreehouseJ

I would order some seed starting coco, or some oasis cubes (floral cubes) and ALWAYS take a couple of clones before flowering anything.

Have a separate space designated for "vegging". This way you can keep a strain growing perpetually, and if anything should go wrong in the flower room, you've got a couple of soldiers ready to come to the rescue. The strain you received is probably a tried and tested trooper. Don't lose her. Take a cutting or two ASAP.

Youtube is a great place to start.. If you know how to use torrents, thepiratebay has pretty much every cannabis book and video ever made.. If you don't know, there's always google.

I haven't tried to grow pot in dirt since I was a grade school ankle biter, so I can't help you very much at all in this department.

Regarding your initial investment.. I say go nuts. I would spend like $12k a year just on medication if it weren't for my grow space. You don't need to buy everything all at once, but you do need to research your products very well before purchasing. We work with a lot of water, electricity, and often pressurized/flammable gas. A lot crap is cheaply and unscrupulously manufactured in china. I would personally recommend avoiding any digital ballasts unless you are in a legal state. I wasted ~$700 on digi's that drew the cable companies attention (RFI). I guess I was disturbing upwards of 600 people, even when I was only running 1x600w ballast.

That's about all I have to say about that for now.

Tri_Cho_Me

Keep It Simple Stupid

Keep It Simple Stupid

Hello ICmag!

I am new here, been a member and lurker for a while but never had a chance to be able to grow my own plant until now. That being said, I am a noob and would appreciate ANY help. Thank you guys in advance!!:) (Also sorry if I posted in the wrong thread.. I am a newbie)

I have received my first single plant as a gift, I was told it is about 2-3 weeks old and should be ready to flower in about 2 weeks. Was also told it is alien OG.

I have no experience and limited knowledge (only internet and lurking on this forum) and was wondering about the basics..
How much and how often do I water it?

As well as which nutrient do you recommend the most, and how often would I give it nutrients?

As for lights, what would you guys recommend for just one plant? I was reading HPS but will be pricey, but I won't mind.

I've been reading around, but would also like to ask personally, especially because most tips are for multiple plants.

And if there are any other tips/advice/concerns/recommendations, please please let me know. I really do not want my plant to die! hahah (PS. I don't expect a great batch or anything, and I realize one plant is a waste but that's okay with me)

I have one plant and it is being kept outside on a patio ( for the sunlight ) for now in a pot with dirt/soil (how I received it) until I can buy the right lights/setup so I can control the 12 hr light/dark cycles when it needs to flower.

I am a beginner and am only doing this out of passion and for fun to learn about the plant I have come to love so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you guys again in advance!

From a fellow weed lover

ps, should I post a pic of the plant?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191645

Tri_Cho_Me

bigbadbiddy

what are you smoking that got you all paranoid?...

i dare you to find his COUNTY :laughing:

I don't think he has anything to worry about.

Just wanted to make sure he doesn't post pictures in the future that are even more informative and could actually cause him grief.

But for starters, Vita Coco is certainly not sold all over the world and the outlet sockets also give an indication. You can certainly already narrow stuff down.

Nobody will do that for one plant anyway but if nobody tells him, it might become a habit to take pics carelessly and at some point he would post a pic of an entire garden with plenty of info in the pic and nobody wants that.

Also haven't mentioned yet:
@OP
Also: Do not take pics with mobile devices and post them straight up. These pics contain metadata stored on them including time and place.
Before you post a pic online use a program to strip the metadata from the pics (just google, there are plenty) OR take a screenshot, then paste it into paint and save the file, then upload that file.
Same result, no metadata on the pic.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You are already flowering that plant if it is in less than 17\18 hours of light.
Single plant simple grow, empty your clothes aou of the cupboard/wardrobe and stick 2 cfls in there at 100w each. Cool enough, simple, cheapish and always handy.
A good compost and clean tap water will get better results that dirt and expensive nutes.

kanzzzz

Since the plant seam to be already started in soil , thats the medium you have to work with.

Really the most important thing you need to do is, you need to sort out somewhere to grow the beuty , and need the enviroment to be good enough to support life without the plants dieing or buds rotting.

For this you will really need atleast a cupboard and an ocilating fan, tho I would recommend getting an extraction can/carbon filter(for late flowering).
The size of extraction needed will depend on the size of the area and the lighting you use.

Then it comes to lighting, you really want to get that plant under a hps to get some decent results.
The stronger the light the better (in a sense).

However if its your first , I would maybe look at something easy like a small little 250 hps, or some cfls lights.Hps are much better imo, but provide alot of heat.
As a rule of thumb , it depends on size of room and extraction and outside temps etc, but Ive found for every 100watts of hps you use , it will increase the room atleast 1-2 degrees c.

Really what you need to get sorted is ,
- A place to grow them , thats light tight.
- Fans / extraction fans/filters , to keep enviroment/smell at where you need them.
- A hps light pref for growing the plant.

Feel free to msg if stuck and il see if I can answer any questions you might have :p