What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What is a better name for these type of genetics??

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Phytochrome sensitive...
Hrmmmm, interesting proposal, yet not quite there. Though it deals with red response and flowering, I'm not sure it is responsible for dark hours.

The name shouldn't have anything to do with where people live. It's not an auto, it's not a semi-auto. It definitely doesn't need to be confused with existing 'early' offerings.

Yes, short/long, day/night, it's all very confusing to new people. I'm ok with that, since it will eventually become common knowledge in the community. ;)

Anyone happen to know if these genetics require fewer dark hours because they produce more flowering hormone, or is it because they require less flowering hormone present? :)

burningfire

Veteran
Mandala calls it Early Flowering, It's a term that was developed with outdoor varieties better suited for colder climates, they start flowering earlier so by september they are ready to harvest. more often than not they are Short Flowering plants but can be long flowering. I wouldn't put too much thought into what sensi is doing.

Douglas.Curtis

Mandala calls it Early Flowering, It's a term that was developed with outdoor varieties better suited for colder climates

A strain which requires 10hrs of dark can prompt growers to call it "early." There are a number of early strains already on the market and in the gene pool.

These are not the genetics I'm speaking of. I'm being very specific here with 2hrs of dark being veg, 4hrs of dark being flower. It's as close as you can get to auto, without actually being auto. It may be in the 'early' category, it still merits a specific designation. It's also fairly rare, as far as I've been able to tell.

:)

W

wildkender

a very early flowering strain can start to flower at the same time, like a normal, not early flowering strain with some autoflowering (ruderalis) mixed in the genetic. In this case they both have semi-autoflowering characteristic.

good quality early flowering strains are very rare.

I wouldn't grow strains with autoflowering ruderalis crap in their genetic. OK maybe they are potent but this idea sounds awful to make strains earlier flowering with ruderalis.

Autoflowering strains are OK with their 10 weeks life cycle, just to harvest something in July.

early strains only without ruderalis!

Douglas.Curtis

good quality early flowering strains are very rare.
Yes. They are indeed.

I wouldn't grow strains with autoflowering ruderalis crap in their genetic. OK maybe they are potent but this idea sounds awful to make strains earlier flowering with ruderalis.
The only connection these strains have with ruderalis, is they've been known to coexist in some autoflower genetics.

#1 Quality autoflower is quality cannabis, there isn't any *inferiority,* simply because there happen to be ruderalis genetics in it. There just happens to be a significant amount of low to poor autoflower available. This is due to both genetics and growers. That's life.

#2 The autoflower genetics will be gone within one or 2 more generations. The first selection round produced only a few plants. The seeds from the first selection round are over 50% SD (Short Dark) genetics. Autos happen to auto-deselect themselves, as the SD's keep on vegging under 22/2 lighting.

:woohoo:

W

wildkender

real semi-autoflowering strains contains no ruderalis!

early flowering strains can contains ruderalis.

burningfire

Veteran
10 hours is pretty standard for a lot of landrace 'indica' so they are not considered early flowering.

but yes, your example is very extreme, in it's natural habitat it might as well be considered an autoflowering plant.

I just voiced my opinion on what Early Flowering meant because I saw a few people going the other way with it.

N

NewAgeGenetics

semi autoflowering starts to flower in july (very early flowering strains)

early flowering strains starts in August

late flowering strains starts in September

very late flowering strains starts in oct

M

metsäkana

even breeders of semi auto say this:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]''semi auto This is not - part of the seeds autoflower
is wrong name , semi auto is 100 % fotoperiod plants .
what are you writing about - part of the seeds autoflower is 2 generation , 25% auto .''

but if semiauto=100%photoplants

why it have AUTO in the name

it should just be called regular photo

then maybe mention it on scription of plant that it have some autos mixed to it..

or if the some of the plants flower 15-18hours daylight then it is ''photosensitive'' if 25% autoflower then its photosentive auto?

and if its under 15 hours daylight its regular photoperioid or if 25% autoflower then its regular photoperioid auto?

or if you like use those ''newer names'' on this thread

to me SEMI-auto will always mean some PART of that seed pack will autoflower fully

[/FONT]

Douglas.Curtis

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

to me SEMI-auto will always mean some PART of that seed pack will autoflower fully

[/FONT]
Exactly!

Which is why semi-auto doesn't fit this type of genetic. When I'm finished, there won't be any auto genes left. Within 4 generations, it will be completely excluded. How do I know this? 100% surety every male and female is carrying the proper genetic trait I'm looking for. No guessing at all. :)

Douglas.Curtis

Clonable Almost-Auto?:dance013: CAA
LOL, Cute :D

SSD, Super Short Dark? Less confusing than SD, for Sour Diesel.

They'll flower in Vegas, through the winter. Probably decent quality as well, compared to summer time quality. ;)

Low Dark? LD Cannabis?

Ultra Low Dark? ULD? lol

Sprinters? I figure eventually someone will say something and everyone will wonder why we never figured it out a long time ago. :) lol

ultra early short day
ultra early photoperiod

ultra sensitive short day
ultra sensitive photoperiod

pr
sensitive short day
pr sensitive photoperiod

pseudoauto short day
pseudoauto photoperiod

Douglas.Curtis

USP? Ultra Sensitive Photo?

I feel like the name should include short night time, or some variation. The extremely short dark period is really it's entire claim to fame.

M

metsäkana

ultra short night photo sensitive madafakin shiiiieet

should be like any term shortest, easiest discribing option? i think couple more options and make a vote for it xD

Latest posts

Latest posts