What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thin Mint vs. Forum, what's the difference?

relic1981

Veteran
I've run Forum and Thin Mint side by side and they are hard to tell apart.
I find the level of purpling on the two varies from plant to plant and bud to bud.

I prefer the effects from the Forum over the Thin Mint. I smoke waaaaay more Forum.:biggrin:
Thin Mint is more night time for me but I prefer the OGKB 2.0 for night cookies, better taste and stronger buzz.

Thin Mint
View Image
View Image

Forum cut
View Image
View Image

i just took clones of both and will do a side by side for you all if you want. if so let me know... actuall im going to run my platinum gsc cut too. so you all will see the difference. plat. is way more OGish but cookie none the less! should have the ready to flip in about a month. so hang in there..my personal favorite for head stash is the thin mint (worst yield though... ) then forum then platnimum really its a tie for second place for me.. they are just way different.. like i said the plat. is more ogis than the other strains (for obvius reasons. all 3 are chronic though aand keep me and my patients well medicated.
chunky, as usual great pics.

hey relic does your platinum cookies have a weird leaf set and love to grow just straight up?i have a plat cookies cut and its super dank just not the best producer for me i also have thin mint from the cookie fam and the forum cut also i just got the bazooka joe cookies cut and it seems to be the strongest growing plant of the cookies yet

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
I had those same exact thoughts. It's a nice plant, but I seem to remember reading that supposedly someone from the fam was saying the Thin Mint had buds that were on the bigger side, and no mcns.

The cut I have is supposed to be legit(thin mint), and when I got it, I was told it was legit. But from what I'm seeing and smelling, I don't know if it really is what it's supposed to be. Not trying to start shit, or piss anyone off. I know there's a few other people on here that have her. Just my own personal opinion.

It could very well be they Thin mint. This is the first time I have run her. So I don't have anything to judge from, and have never puffed her buds. Just from what I have read and seen, it seems to me it's another cut besides the "Thin Mint".

Now don't get your pitchforks out yet. Like I said it very well could be, I guess I was just expecting more from the hype. And I have grown to love the forum cut. So I'm kinda biased because of that.

0G chimera said it the best.....Quote.....
I'm sure you believe the guy who gave you the forum cut, or the Legend OG, or the Wifi, and take his word as gospel that what he gave you is in fact authentic and true (because everyone wants to believe what they have is real). I don't swing that way, that's not how we roll. You may believe the guy, but how about the guy that gave him the cut? Or the guy that gave the guy the cut? This is nothing more than the cannabis version of the telephone game that we all played in kindergarten, and it's been happening since NL#5.

I sourced "cookies", "platinum cookies", "the forum cookies", "monster cookies / cookie monster" and at least half a dozen others, sometimes multiple plants came with the same name. However, when they come into the facility they are relabeled as cookies 1, cookies 2, cookies 3, cookies 4, etc, and placed in the decontamination room and allowed to veg until a clone can be taken. Once the clone is rooted and confirmed pest-free, the clone is placed in the vegetative library stacks and the plant is flowered, evaluated and sent to the lab- along with an authentic, sourced sample of the original. I know a few people, eh, so getting the real flowers confirmed is not difficult. I also source my plants "off the hill', it might not surprise you to know I know a few growers.

relic1981

Veteran
well said windycity..the proof is in the end results. some of the time the only way to find out if its legit is to run it. sometimes a few times and if the buds are the same as other thin mint growers (and yes i know herb will look different from different grow room ) but they share similar characteristics. know your source too. if your getting it from a dispensary or a "friend" buyer beware because unless you already are very familiar with the strain its really hard to tell by looking at them in the clone stage (its tough but can be done.).. once you've vegged them out you should have a good idea if they fit the growth pattern, same thing with stretch, leaf patern and shape, shape of growth,and when they finish they will also have similar characteristics. at least they should if grown with love

Well the cookie fam would have the original. The Stunt doubles as you say are most like s1 Bag seeds from nugs of the GSC.

Exactly. If it's being passed as the Thin mints, then it should be the original clone from the cookie fam. If it's something else, then it should be labeled appropriately. I just wanted to give people a heads up with my experience.

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
Some veg shots of the s1.i have 2 of them i labeled cookie a cookie b.i took clones from both of them.which ever one i like the best i will keep.im flowering me shortly.every thing is still booked ..left side is A right side is B
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

windycitysmoker

⚖TrippleBeamDreams⚖
Veteran
Those look nice :) is this your first run with them?if not did the nose of the flower match up to the cookie footprint?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Yeah it's my first run with this cut. Nose is a lot different than the forum, imo. It's making cookie style buds that's for sure.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I've run the Thin Mint some time ago as well and from my experience, it's seems to produce a bit more than the Forum cut IMHO.

Or at least the Thin Mint seems to be a bit less stretchy, with less node spacing... while the Forum often has that pop-corn bud look spaced all over the stems.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Sometimes Forum looks like it has bigger calyxes and less leaf too, but I suppose that's more related to enviroment and different phenotypes rather than the clone itself.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This phenotype seems to be pretty common for the Forum cut under certain growing conditions:

forum.jpg

the grape ape I grew really had a cookies look and feel to it - I was quite impressed, smells super skunky - like when you open the jar ambient skunk fills the room.

IMG_5609.jpg
IMG_5613.jpg

I was privileged enough to scoop this animal cookies to smoke on.
Animal cookies was the first real cookies I tried and was really taken back - yah this isn't just a hype :biggrin:

IMG_5610.jpg

Here is some cookies I grew from a bag seed miracle:

IMG_5614.jpg
IMG_5615.jpg

she really had that cookies taste and potency - reminded me of the animal cookies potency wise - super strong body high you could feel in your muscles. I didn't have cloning equipment when I popped her - I tried to reveg but failed... I cried when I lost her and still get very fucking sad when I think about it - she was a killer strain and I miss having her smoke around... damn. Now I'm upset....
I wish I took better care of her and still had her around it would be the only thing I grew - man if you let her calyx swell up she would get this gassy skunk smell that was the dankest! :cry:

Cheesegez

Sometimes Forum looks like it has bigger calyxes and less leaf too, but I suppose that's more related to enviroment and different phenotypes rather than the clone itself.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

This phenotype seems to be pretty common for the Forum cut under certain growing conditions:

View Image

Well well well ... youve got her dialled right in haven't you bro ? Looking dank as F*** fair play man ...:tiphat:

billb

Veteran
Dang by looking at all these pics I should of already flowered the thin mint. I’d appreciate any help you guys could send my way in thin mint stretch. How much does she? I’m going to take some cuts tomorrow and send her to the flower room! I honestly had no idea thin mint was as good as it is.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
The good thing about the Forum is that I know exactly who I personally gave it to. So if they can trace it back to me, then it's most likely legit. So unlike with other cuts that we don't know the source for. We can trace this one back to the point of origin.

When I got the Forum I had never heard of Thin Mints. There was just Girl Sc#ut C##kies. Then Prop mentioned Animal to me. It wasn't until after both of those were around for a long time that I heard about Thin Mints. They look different, but I've never grown the Thin Mints. Then came the Platinum tag, and so on.

It does have long thick petioles which tend to be purple. Dark color to the leaves. Large inter-nodal spacing, and strong stretch into flower. The overfeeding and light intensity is what seems to cause the small flowers up top, while the lower ones are larger. Took a while to figure out what was causing that. I think that's why Norcal started saying "no baby nuts" in regards to the OGKB.

I'm interested in the phylos galaxy, but their galaxy is only as good as the quality of their submissions. The Forum is on there, but they need me or someone who can trace it directly back to me to submit. If Thin Mint is the original, then the Cookies guys should submit it. I think it will be cool to see what's actually what and how they're related. The Cherry Kush is another one I want to see entered. As it's supposed to be a precursor to the cookies.