What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Question about playing it safe/avoiding flir etc...

jonezin

Hi, I'm new here, but I'm not new to the "hobby". The last time I participated in it was back in the early 90's though. I want to get back into it real bad but I have a couple questions about some stuff. I know they always say that as long as you don't have over at least 3000 watts going that you really don't need to be worried, but I've been checking out some of the FLIR pictures of places that have been busted and I have a question about it. If you have a 400 watt light in a closet, and the closet is in the very front of your house, which is not too far from the street that goes by your house, won't the heat from even that 400W light heat up the wall enough to show on FLIR? I don't plan on doing this by the way, but I'm just curious what you think about it. I'm EXTREMELY paranoid. Another thing I wanted to ask is: if you have a cabinet/wardrobe thing towards the center of your house with a 400 in it and it's nowhere near (at least a few feet away from) the outside wall, that isn't enough to show up is it? Do you guys worry about venting the heat from something like that into an attic or anything? I'm asking because some of those pictures I've seen showed major heat in certain rooms. I'm assuming that was from much more than just 400 watts but I'm just making sure. I never used to have to worry about any of this but now I do. I want to set up a cabinet with at least a 250HPS, 400 is way overkill for the size of this thing but I'm probably gonna go with the 400 anyway since it's only about $20-$30 more than the 250. I would also have another 320 watts of fluoro's for side lighting in this thing. I know you're probably thinking I'm retarded but I cannot take any chances.

ninfan77

You have very little to worry about from FLIR with a 400w... More to worry about smell from your plants and not telling anyone.

Y

yamaha_1fan

jonezin said:
. I'm EXTREMELY paranoid.

^^^Thats probably going to be your biggest problem.

You should be fine as long as you have your other security measures in place. No loose lips, no smell, no wild parties, no domestic disputes, etc

ourcee

yamaha_1fan said:
^^^Thats probably going to be your biggest problem.

You should be fine as long as you have your other security measures in place. No loose lips, no smell, no wild parties, no domestic disputes, etc

that will be your BIGGEST problem. I had a partner that had some SEVERE paranoia, it fucked the whole crop up. Granted we were running 6000w so it wasnt totally bad to be a lil paranoid. :wink:

gotta have a warrant to FLIR (and have it fly in court at least) so as long as you arent fuckin up in other departments, 400w aint somethin to lose sleep over :smoke:

barry cooper covers this in his video "never get raided". i had asked him a similar question about venting to my attic. flir cant see through walls. glass would be questionable. he said as long as my attic didnt heat up to the extremes i shouldnt worry. lack of proper attic venting could cause that. blowing hot air directly out of your house is the worst case scenario. venting into another room is the best way. letting the house use natural convection will disapate any signs of a heat signature. there are several ways to avoid having your window show a heat signature. the best is to use a window in a place that would be difficult to spot from the sky or front of your house. i use a side window that has a big tree over the top. it blocks all views from the air. you could also use a bamboo type window shade from the outside to help. 400w aint shit to worry about. but if you cant get over it, go cfl.
ninfan is right, smell is your worst enemy. carbon filters equal stealth. if they cant smell it, they can take all the flir they want, it wont matter. barring any snitchs. paranoia is good, it keeps you on your toes. :rasta:

smokey117

right wing not to hijack your post but ive been thinkin of makin a thread about this for a while now i have q's for yall about a future grow i was thinkin of doing in and attic the attic is huge 20x20x6.5ft tall i dont plan on using nearly all of that space i wana run 1-1k+ 1-400 plus 2-250wmh for veg flower room being 5x5x6? veg 4x4? any suggestion would be great i would vent heat thru all the rooms in my house ill be using a huge carbon filter. my question is can flir see this?? my rooms are gonna be insulated and drywalled boxes not touching any of the outside walls. can you see anything wrong with this?? im only gonna be running 2k max but its also gonna be on a flip flop type of thing any opinions are extremly appreciated nobody has given me a clear answer thanks in advance

oh dont know if you need this i grow in organic soil all organic

btw long time lurker here :rasta:

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
best is to vent into your heating system pipes

the most important is to never tell anyone. never tell anyone, never tell anyone.............

ExEcutioner

you sound paranoid lol. my understanding of flir is that it will give the temp of what it is aimed at, for example if you have a grow in attic flir will be able to see if your roof is unusually hot, but if you are insulated well your roof will be cool, and no detection. Correct me if wrong

but also consider running you light, small light at day time, rendering flir useless

boroboro

Here's a helicopter FLIR image, from some goofy new 'DEA cops are cool' show on TV. I think this house had around 20K of lights in the basement. Hard to hide that much heat...

smokey117

thats what i was thinking if i vent right and the roof doesnt get hot im good. i also have a temp gun and i use it religously checking temps of my roof from the inside theres only a 2-10 degree difference where the light is from the rest of my roof but i put a fan in there now its more like a 3 degree difference is this noticable?? should i worry about running 2- 250mh in a cab 24/7 and 1400w hps 12/12 in another cab vented well running the 1400 at night? should i run it during the day in winter ? im trying to get all views on this

btw i never ever tell anyone i live alone and im the only one who knows about it

J

Jeff Lebowski

A tip that I have never really seen anyone drop is if you are micro or using some smaller cabs is to place them under a window sill. Against the wall under the window will register hot on FLIR but, if you notice on all FLIR pictures, the windows are already hot. Not sure how high on wattage you could go, but just go along with what looks normal, ya dig?

Also, Yamaha - paranoia kills me a little bit each day. By the way, I have nothing to be paranoid about. :(

whodi

Veteran
FLIR only works at night.. so running lights during the day would be best if you are worried about FLIR

smokey- if you vent into your house with that amount of juice, you should be fine. using a passive air intake from the outside to bring in cool air would make it better. my attic has several venting holes to disapate the heat. thats with 2400w. heat build up is what will make your shit glow. . like i said, blowing hot air directly outside is the worst. in your situation, think of it as heating your house in the winter. no problem. keep the doors open to the room your exhausting into, to let the heat move through out your pad. yes. flir is useless in the day. if your weather permits, this is the safest possible route. in barry coopers dvd "never get raided", he has examples of flir on various homes. its a must see. i can not recommend this enough.

boroboro- i watched that whole series DEA on spike. 20k's is a shit load. no way to hide that amount of heat. i even watched that specific episode pictured on your post a few times. if you go back and listen to the commentary, at first they act like its so easy to spot. later, they admit its almost impossible to fly around and find grows. how did they find it? a fucking snitch of course. it was their C.I. (confidential informant).

jeff- yes, the windows look hot in flir at night, like the picture in boroboro post. even in the non grow house. but there is still a slight difference.
:rasta:

J

Joe Budden

Anti detection foil, vent underground, air conditioner, the list goes onn

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my opinion, attic is the worst to grow as that is the first sight flir is gonna see. and attics have the most extreme temp flux