What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is it possible to predict pheno from looking at the seeds /Same Strain/ ?

doams

got this 5 pack some are bigger some are smaller looking..
got a feeling that the bigger ones are pheno nr.2 and smallers are pheno nr.1 /the one I am intrested in/ ???

few questions:

1/ will you get pheno nr.1 from all the small ones and pheno nr.2 from all the bigger ones? lol

spent hour deciding which one hoping for that pheno nr.1

2/ diff size seeds will produce same pheno is that possible?

3/ two exact same looking seeds will produce same pheno is that possible?

Easy7

Veteran
Absolutely impossible to know what a plant will be by the seed. If you know the parents you may be able to guess some features. Yet it's impossible to know what sort of features from the seed, the specific seed will produce.

If we knew we wouldn't be planting numbers. They try to narrow down possibility with S1's but those throw a lot of variation as well.

So that's why there are clones.

As far as more than one seed throwing a pheno. Well, that's likely more common with older varieties. For a number of reasons, the genetics are not as worked to uniformity these days.

If people bred to uniformity then yes, there would only be a handful of pheno's and you wouldn't need 4 packs to find a keeper. But the theory today is a bit different the way it's practiced. They take great cut with great pollen donor and it throws a lot of unique gems. No real chance of finding that pheno from someones net post. But there never really was a chance of finding that great pheno people showed a pic of online even in the day.

mack 10

Veteran
Yup.
You might be able to tell the strain,
Ie, very big seeds or mottling pattern.
maybe,
But all in all , no.
Your gonna gave to grow them to know them.

Easy7

Veteran
If these are a pack of mixed strains, it might be possible if there is some sort of identification guide.

I've mixed varieties of seeds in the same pack. After awhile the paper zebra stripes become fragile and identification because more difficult.

I guess if selecting seed is the worst of your problems, it's not a very big one :)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Interesting theory.

I wonder if the seeds are a mix of different breeding pairs,
same parent stock.

In my crosses I note bigger seeds in lightly pollinated
females and smaller seeds from females heavily pollinated.

Same parent stock, been working a cross for a few years.

In my opinion, I would make note of which plant came from
which seed and go from there.

Trying to forecast the result from the seed may only be
an interesting short term distraction.

By the time your plants are in flower a couple weeks you'll
be thinking of bigger decisions, which one are keepers, lol.

Keep us posted, we'll learn together.

Easy7

Veteran
Seed size has to do with calyx size. Suppose there were more than 1 female pheno pollinated? Could very well be that.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I have a seven pack of Blueberry. The first three were under four foot, medium compact buds, and a high that came on fairly quick but could have been stronger. Buds were mostly at the ends of the branches and were just under a quarter ounce.
The fourth seed, visually identical to the first three, grew to a bit over six feet and had buds in pairs going from trunk to branch tip with a total of a quarter ounce per branch. The high came on faster and was a bit stronger as far as head high, not as much sedation.

Differing Indica and Sativa traits in growth but all had the Blueberry flavor.

I had a five pack of Purps with wildly different sized seeds and completely different plants as well, I no longer use that seed vendor.

Latest posts

Latest posts