What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ACE (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
The untopped Honduras x Alien OrangeADE vegging outdoors in a 10 gallon SIP is now tall enough the only way I can get pics of the top of it is standing on a ladder (roughly 2.3m). It smells strongly of rotting lemons in the hot sun / oranges / citrus in general. If you look closely, you can see the topped lemony ethiopian pheno of Mauritius x Ethiopian in the background.
picture.php

Zamaldelica x Ethiopian smoke effects update
I am going to get myself in trouble here and end up sending a whole bunch of people looking for the "sex pheno" :D, but so far nearly every woman that has tried Zamaldelica x Ethiopian says it makes them want to stretch their muscles or do yoga and then have sex. This effect seems to be more prevalent in the more Ethiopian phenos of the line so its probably a property of the Ethiopian's buzz / clear energy / feel good vibe. A few of my married female friends have requested that this line be available year round. :laughing: Dubi - have you seen anything similar to this on your end?

jonhova

The untopped Honduras x Alien OrangeADE vegging outdoors in a 10 gallon SIP is now tall enough the only way I can get pics of the top of it is standing on a ladder (roughly 2.3m). It smells strongly of rotting lemons in the hot sun / oranges / citrus in general. If you look closely, you can see the topped lemony ethiopian pheno of Mauritius x Ethiopian in the background.
View Image

Zamaldelica x Ethiopian smoke effects update
I am going to get myself in trouble here and end up sending a whole bunch of people looking for the "sex pheno" :D, but so far nearly every woman that has tried Zamaldelica x Ethiopian says it makes them want to stretch their muscles or do yoga and then have sex. This effect seems to be more prevalent in the more Ethiopian phenos of the line so its probably a property of the Ethiopian's buzz / clear energy / feel good vibe. A few of my married female friends have requested that this line be available year round. :laughing: Dubi - have you seen anything similar to this on your end?

HA Terp i thought you were growing organic bud this whole time and now I know you are growing horny goat weed!:biggrin:
I'll have to try that on my girlfriend she's always doing yoga and you know what they say "happy wife, happy life."

Now I do have one question about your SIP and organic nutrients for long flowering sativas.

How do you top dress in veg and flower?

I was thinking about top dressing malibu bu compost, kelp meal, malted barley, neem cake, and alfalfa meal in small amounts.
I dont want to run out of gas mid way through. :tiphat:

Terpene

Veteran
HA Terp i thought you were growing organic bud this whole time and now I know you are growing horny goat weed!:biggrin:
I'll have to try that on my girlfriend she's always doing yoga and you know what they say "happy wife, happy life."

Now I do have one question about your SIP and organic nutrients for long flowering sativas.

How do you top dress in veg and flower?

I was thinking about top dressing malibu bu compost, kelp meal, malted barley, neem cake, and alfalfa meal in small amounts.
I dont want to run out of gas mid way through. :tiphat:

The soil mix I'm using is pretty well mixed for both long and short term nutrient delivery:
3 gal dirt / earth / topsoil / nursery soil (unfertilized)
1.5 gal coir
2.5 gal peat
3 gal aeration (chunky perlite, lava rock, permatil, etc.)
1 gal EWC
1/2c alfalfa meal
1/2c dry molasses
1c kelp meal
1c blood meal
1c bone meal
1/2c seabird guano
2tbsp Sul-Po-Mg
1/2c azomite
1/3c dolomite
1/3c gypsum
2/3c oyster shell flour

I pot in this fashion: 4inch pot -> 6inch pot -> 1gal pot -> 3.5gal SIP

This feeds the plant and keeps the roots pretty tight. The 3.5 gallon SIP will finish a 4-5' tall plant with very little (if any) additional feeding. For top dressing large plants (7'+), I've found a half cup of bone meal thrown on top of the soil right as buds start clustering (week 3-4ish) tends to solve any minor issues the plants have.

Terpene

Veteran
You know whats fun? Making 16w LEDs look tiny with landrace hybrid colas:
picture.php

Mauritius x Ethiopian (above) at 13 weeks is developing a FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC lavender-earth-lemons smell which gets more and more lavender by the day. I was expecting a more landrace / old school smell similar to a haze - which would be more in line with its style of development. Here's a bud shot:

picture.php

And its younger sister (hoppy pheno) at 7.5 weeks:
picture.php

Terpene

Veteran
14 week chop on the lavender-earthy Mauritius x Ethiopian:
picture.php

picture.php

Early smoke is very strong. Devastating and somewhat paralysing sativa stone similar to Malawi, but more introspective like a lot of hazes can be.

ULMW

14 week chop on the lavender-earthy Mauritius x Ethiopian:
View Image

View Image

Early smoke is very strong. Devastating and somewhat paralysing sativa stone similar to Malawi, but more introspective like a lot of hazes can be.

Wow! What a plant of great great beauty! Well done on your grow! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy !!!

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wow Terpene! I'm so happy to see such nice results with the new ethiopian hybrids, i deeply thank you for your interest to test them and for growing them until the end so well!

Seems that the new ethiopian crosses are showing the desirable traits i wanted to include from each line, plus the extra vigor and yield due to the hybrid vigor.

The Zamaldelica x ethiopian is showing the more tamed growing and flowering structure of the more modern and refined Zamaldelicas, i guess it will have an extra touch of tropical sativa feeling from the wilder pure ethiopian, yet being the cross still very manageable and with a reasonable flowering time.

Very happy to see also that the Mauritius x Ethiopian got the good yielding development and overall structure from the ethiopian rather than the the super lanky growth from the pure Mauritius. I'm pleased to hear that the desirable lavender terpene profile from the Mauritius sativa is common to find in the hybrid, as it's probably the best terpene profile that can be found in a hybrid between these 2 tropical african sativa landraces.

Honestly, i'm surprised that your early smoke tests of the Mauritius x Ethiopian have been so strong and that you find it reminiscent of the strength of our Malawi, as i consider that the pure Mauritius and pure Ethiopian have a kinder type of tropical sativa effect of moderate strength, but again: the hybrid vigor has really improved in that sense too.

Have a great start of week friend! :tiphat:

PD: The outdoor plants are looking great, healthier than the indoors ones. I'm really excited to see your first outdoor plants as well!

Terpene

Veteran
Glad you're happy with what you're seeing Dubi! :huggg:

I am loving these Ethiopian hybrids - so much I made my own. Plan on seeing pictures of (Zamaldelica x Ethiopian) x (Mauritius x Ethiopian) sprouts from me in the near future. :biggrin: I used the ultra lemony Ethiopian leaning Zam x Ethio male and the Mauritius leaning Mar x Ethio female (pictured above) for the cross. Should be excellent smoke.:tiphat:

The wife, a good friend and I were legitimately devastated from a single bowl of the 13 week branch that I pulled off. When ground, the buds are lavender-earthy-lemons and the smoke is lavender-woody on the first hit, followed by damp earth for the rest of the pulls. The devastation on the 13 week branches was short lasting (30 min or so), whereas in Malawi I'm usually worthless for a few hours. I had to stop trimming the plant midway through because the texture of the Mauritius x Ethiopian 14 week flowers I was trimming had too many nooks and crannies and it was too much 3D / psychedelic for me to handle. After a bit, I was fine and returned to task quite high but no longer ripped to the point that staring at buds was trippy.
Its positive smoke - you can feel the ethiopian influence brightening the experience, but its thought provoking and introspective, more like purple haze in that way. Its also a bit hunger inducing, again like haze. I agree that its much happier and overall not as strong as Malawi which can be a bit less kind and more deeply moving, but the "damn I'm stoned" moments were reminiscent of Malawi's energetic but semi-couchlocked high.

I now have (completely unfounded) theories as to what Mauritius is related to. Its enough like a haze and malawi in the smoke effects to make me wonder if southern Indian lines (similar to Kerala) somehow made its way to the island of Mauritius via way of ships and interbred with African lines (similar to Malawi). I am probably completely wrong in this assumption, but it would make sense with travel around the tip of Africa to India. I'm sure I am overthinking this one, but thats what you get from me with thought provoking weed. :thinking:

I figured out why the leaves were starting to die on the Mauritius x Ethiopian I just cut down - root rot was setting in the bottom of my SIP. I am sure some of the ugly is due to the LEDs baking the leaves at close range, but from here on I will be washing out the lower buckets once a month in flower.

Terpene

Veteran
The outdoor plants are indeed healthier and getting humorously large. It took 2.2m of untopped vertical growth before the Honduras x Alien OrangeADE went internodal. Since then its added another half meter in vertical growth. I've moved it into a bit more wind to try and strengthen the stem before flowering starts as the parents on both sides have very large buds and stem breakage is a real possibility.

picture.php

The Ethio leaning Mauritius x Ethiopian outside is about 1.8m tall and topped about a hundred times, so its a big flat bush that I will be training into an outdoor scrog over a 2.5m x 2.5m area. I'll probably toss it into a larger container at some point as well, but for now we're still in 3.5 gallons of soil.

picture.php

After looking at them just now, I will probably be juicing them this evening with some more blood and bone meal. Compared to the previous pics I took, they're getting a bit light.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Terpene,

I concur with you about the qualities of the effects of the different african strains being discussed (Malawi, Zamaldelica, Ethiopian and Mauritius). I also believe that the effects of the pure Mauritius and the pure Ethiopian are closer to Oldtimer's Haze rather than Malawi. Indeed, the cannabinoid analysis of all these strains go in the direction to confirm these assumptions.

I'm so glad that you are finding these new ethiopian hybrids enough interesting to breed with them and produce new hybrids, indeed a cross between a well tamed Zamaldelica/Ethiopian with complex lemony terpenes and uplifting effects, crossed with a high yielding Mauritius/Ethiopian with lavender aromas and strong effects sound like music to my ears :)

Terpene

Veteran
I am glad to hear you agree Dubi.

Damn, July was a hell of a month. Short version: landlord wants to do a series of home renovations / divorce / selling my company / re-entering the corporate world. Don't you worry your pretty little head about me.
finding-dory-movie.jpg

My two outdoor plants have been composted, the three indoor have been given to another IC member and friend, DoomsDay. I will see what I can do to get pics of the Mauritius x Ethiopian that I gave him as it finishes.

I have decided its time to start growing in the stealth armoire that I built for veg/flower (which I have been using for veg) and downsize quite a bit. Flower will be 60cm D x 120cm W x 120cm H with 140w of LED. Veg will be 60cm D x 60cm W x 60cm H with 50w LED.

I plan to run a sea of green from seed in 15cm pots - which will provide plenty of smoke and afford me the chance to run a whole lot more genetic diversity - I'm planning to have somewhere between 12-16 plants flowering once I get into the groove and get used to quasi micro growing.

Here's the start of new beginnings, Honduras x Alien OrangeADE, Honduras x Panama, Colombian Gold x Sour Dog and a Kaya clone from another IC member and friend, Grow Tech:
picture.php

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Like Borderliner says, Just keep swimming.

Your grows are really inspirational and have me rethinking what I will do next with my set-up.

Samuel Caldwell

White light, brother. Focus on the positive. Take care of yourself.

You've got some fun plants in your micro garden! Best of luck!

Terpene

Veteran
Sorry for your loss man. That sucks. Do you have anything going in your armoire?

Yep - those seeds are the new crop in the armoire. The bottom section is veg, the top will be flower. Sea of green with a million different genetics from seed. Should be a fun challenge to grow equitorial sativas as spears alongside things that don't stretch. :biggrin:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Terpene,

Nice to see you are already preparing your new indoor grow :)
I'm glad to see many Honduras crosses of your own :yes:

Honduras is a quite recent release and we need to learn and explore more how she works in outcrosses.

This thread goes to the sticky zone, it deserved it since a long time ago ;)