What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Type of LED?

h.h.

Veteran
The light in the link has way to much bulk for the wattage.

Check out some of the other threads on using naked household LEDs.
Take off the plastic globe and any metal reflector on the inside.

Muleskinner

Veteran
wow, at 1.1 umol/J that is one of the most inefficient garden lights ever made! Holy shit. Incandescent is probably better.

Spaventa

Veteran
Ive just ordered standard daylight 4000k LEDs for my mother plants and cuttings. They don't claim to be for grow lighting but 4000k is 4000k and they run HALF the electric and give more usable light.
They were 20 pounds for each 26w 4 pin PL-L LED strip that replace the 4 pin PL-L fluorescent tubes in my Maxibright PL2 propagation light. I upgraded to LED for less than 40 pounds.

Spaventa

Veteran
wow, at 1.1 umol/J that is one of the most inefficient garden lights ever made! Holy shit. Incandescent is probably better.

Just checked and the ones I ordered aren't good either. 2700 lumen from 26w. The standard Philips fluorescent PL-L are 4800 lumen from 55w. So these "cheap" LEDs at 4 x the price per lamp and only fractionally better efficiency, if the 2700 lumen figure is even true - it could be lower since the brand is unknown and foreign. No, Im sticking with Flo till LED get a lot cheaper. It would take years to recoup the investment through energy saving, if they lasted that long. It may be a bit like solar panels - they will die before they pay for themselves.

It was only a few hours ago so I just asked to cancel. Thanks for posting Muleskinner :tiphat:

Muleskinner

Veteran
Many of us have had good luck with simple LED bulbs from the hardware store, anything from 2700K to 5000K should work well for very little money

Latest posts

Latest posts