What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor growing in southern California mountains / desert possible?

RenaissanceBrah

I've been scoping out spots to grow outdoors (both on friends properties and guerilla growing) in various spots in southern california.

Would the soil in the pine tree mountains of southern california do well for any particular sativa strains? (I'm more of a sativa person).

Have a spot near the ocean I found (a lot of pine trees around), and a spot high up in the mountains (~6000 ft).

Water would be a problem near the ocean though... in the mountains there are some creeks and streams.

Just looking to grow a plant or two, nothing too crazy. Just enjoy sun grown.

Was wondering if anyone here had tips for guerilla growing in southern california (besides hiding it really well against the geocachers, etc)

troutman

Seed Whore
Soil in pine areas tend to be acidic so you'll have to do some liming and/or use pH up if you don't haul in some
soil in. If you can find a creek like you mention grow near there. Hauling water a long way sucks in a hurry.
Go with organic nutrients if you want the healthiest buds.

Good Luck

budsnblunts

Veteran
I grow soley around pine trees. Southern hemisphere though. Handful of lime does go a long way, but turning the soil over a few times before planting helps heaps to.

RenaissanceBrah

Soil in pine areas tend to be acidic so you'll have to do some liming and/or use pH up if you don't haul in some
soil in. If you can find a creek like you mention grow near there. Hauling water a long way sucks in a hurry.
Go with organic nutrients if you want the healthiest buds.

Good Luck

I grow soley around pine trees. Southern hemisphere though. Handful of lime does go a long way, but turning the soil over a few times before planting helps heaps to.

Thanks for the tips, also wanted to ask - what ratio of lime to pine soil do you guys add?

Also how deep do you dig?

Hoping to get some seeds going during our rainy season to keep from hauling water up there :)

Dankwolf

How close to Ocean ?

1 racoons are a issue close to cost line ?
2 pines are tall so I am guessing there will be shade issues ?
3 is there moss on the trees where you plan to grow ?

4 What sun exposer do you have ( south facing ) ?

5 calcium is good to help green them up (1/4 cup a yard is good start. If possible just water in a top dress don't till if it's already has good air .

6 Do you have pics of soil ?

7 soil test is best if you plan to go big ( don't answer)

8 if it is shaded you will need a shade tolerant Strian ?

9 if it's coastal sulphur is your friend .

10 it would be a good idea to pre build a coleny of benifical fungi to take over main foot hold and prevent bud rot .

11 keep salts out . Southern cali / pine trees sounds close to coast line . You may have a ppm / tds issue . So gypsum is a better choice vs lime.if this is the case .

Answer a few and I will do what I can ?

Dankwolf

picture.php
picture.php

Many can say alot many can do alot . This is what I can do and you heard what I have to say so far . I grew up all over . Spent many years on West coast

RenaissanceBrah

How close to Ocean ?

Answer a few and I will do what I can ?

Thank you Dank for taking the time to help me out! Here's the answers to your post:

1 racoons are a issue close to cost line ?
I've seen them around here, you're probably right. If I don't use a cage, would it 100% for sure get eaten?

2 pines are tall so I am guessing there will be shade issues ?
There are sections without shade, it's a pockmarket hillside (random pines, but also a lot of shrubbery. There's pines at the top of the hill, but going down the hill, more shrubbery, and more sun).

3 is there moss on the trees where you plan to grow ?
No moss.

4 What sun exposer do you have ( south facing ) ?
The terrain is varied, lots of little canyons, I could find a south-facing spot. More south-east facing.

5 calcium is good to help green them up (1/4 cup a yard is good start. If possible just water in a top dress don't till if it's already has good air .
Not sure if I understand... what do you mean by no tilling till it has good air?

Also, would gypsum work well as the calcium source?

6 Do you have pics of soil ?
Not at the moment, but next time I go up there I can take some pics. I'll try to take some pics of the hillside terrain as well.

7 soil test is best if you plan to go big ( don't answer)

8 if it is shaded you will need a shade tolerant Strian ?
I was hoping to grow sativas, preferably landraces if possible. I'll ask on the landrace thread about that. Any particular sativa (or sativa leaning strains) that you'd think would do well in a semi-shaded area?

9 if it's coastal sulphur is your friend .
It's about 0.5 miles from the coast, it's pretty close. Is the sulphur to counteract the salt, or what's it's function, out of curiosity?

10 it would be a good idea to pre build a coleny of benifical fungi to take over main foot hold and prevent bud rot .
Interesting, I don't know much about beneficial fungi, besides mycorrhiza. I do have a 100% organic worm bin. I'm interested in KNF and such but haven't gotten to it yet, so still a noob in terms of beneficial fungi.

11 keep salts out . Southern cali / pine trees sounds close to coast line . You may have a ppm / tds issue . So gypsum is a better choice vs lime.if this is the case .

Well noted, I do have some gypsum on hand.

By ppm and tds do you mean the water pH?

That's another thing I have to figure out... I'm hoping to avoid hauling water up there. In the socal mountains I might have a spot next to a creek, but here by the coast I was wondering if somehow I can find a drought-resistant strain to grow... or maybe they could be watered by the high-fog amount. There's quite a bit of greenery up there... I think they survive on the dew from the almost daily fog, even though it almost never rains (besides like Feb-April).

Thank you again for your help, and congrats on the monster plants! Much respect. Did those plants get that big in one season?

Cheers,

RB