What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

durban poison.. long and short flowering?

clearheaded

eh guys,

while terps including anise seem to be the string that attaches it to being the same thing, i am wondering if there is any knowledge of possible different lines and how they came about.

the short flowering sativa like effect that finishes 50ish days.. often folks think alot of short flowering sativas come from a cross of this..

Also represented is a longer 70+ day var with similar smell. like what realseed company would sell.

was the shorter flowering variety a cross with skunk or just a faster NLD var? perhaps just a pheno within the wider durban line?

Any knowledge of the line and different versions would be helpful.. know mel and skunkman had a version that was fast and finish in northern USA.

there is the easy or early sativa var we see for sale aswell which i assume are related to south african lines?

cheers!

browntrout

Veteran
I was always under the impression the early durban poison varieties that were grown long ago were possible hybrids of landrace/cultivated selections of pure sativas and imported varieties. Something tells me there was major importation from middle eastern countries at the time. Likely having been naturally/unnaturally selected/reverted back to its beginnings to produce today’s longer flowering versions. The early version becoming more like the original late flowering version, and could be a result of sheer numbers of more sativa like plants spreading pollen and eventually back crossing redundantly.

All pure speculation, however this was my conclusion after digging Into it years ago. But perhaps why it seems the old early version is quite different from the long flowering varieties others have collected in recent times.

The old inbred Dutch passion line I’ve used is absolutely intense in smell, it and it’s hybrids are of he strongest most unique smell I’ve seen in cannabis, its taste is very bland however. Unfortunately as others have said the strain likely was hybridized by DP. Not having grown the original early type I have no idea.

The Dutch Passion early version, like the Sensi Seeds one, is some landrace South-African hybridised back in time in California IIRC...
This was said many times here and there.
I have smoked it a lot end 90's start 2000's.
Buds are compact, resinous and it's ready october 1st outdoor at 47°N. 9 weeks flowering indoors. Some hermies, a lot in case of light period stress, in regular seeds.
It hits fast.
It was popular 20 years ago. But today, i will grow something else ;)
There's so many good African strains to choose nowaday....

'Boogieman'

For me most of the Dutch Passion DP phenos go until October 10th, with a very sativa pheno wanting to go late October. I haven't found any super early phenos but it's one of the most mold resistant strains I have grown. Indoors it went longer and I find it not very potent but outdoors it was pretty good.

romanoweed

good Question clearheaded!

I was also under the impression like @browntrout kind of thought (am i right?) that there was a bigger Amount of shortflowering Durbans. Kind of widespread. And it would be bit unexplained why there should been hybridisation on a Broad basis WITH SKUNK/WESTERN HYBBRIDS, as Southafrica was only a middle-big exporteur i feel, or atleast did i never hear the Indica-Crossing-for-Profit Theory really.

So, i would STILL consider it might be shortly introduced Middle Eastern Genetics, slightly adated, therefore harder to distinguish from Durban, cause it slightly is....

But what i would consider the most is the fact that Southafrica, alltho very hot climate has Mountains of 11 000 feet/ 3500 Meter. So, can you imagine a 3 months flowerperiod at that height?

I found out that my most favored region Vietnam brought up couple shortflowering Lines, but as it appeard potent Lines. I saw three, four Lines from vietnam either chunky, or reasonably shortflowering 13 Weeks.

Im not making it up, its just that every third 70s viet line i ever found on the net was actually a short one.

So, the golden mix out of trippyness and performability? Too cool that columbia has also high mountains, so i think every sativalover might one day find a short version of prefference, wich probably is not as stong as the longerflowering ones in Effect, but just the best compromiss (since possibly pure)

romanoweed

drakensberg. thats pretty close to durban-strain region. I imagine would well be possible you find 7 weeker Durbans there, but not know

picture.php

F2F

For me most of the Dutch Passion DP phenos go until October 10th, with a very sativa pheno wanting to go late October. I haven't found any super early phenos but it's one of the most mold resistant strains I have grown. Indoors it went longer and I find it not very potent but outdoors it was pretty good.

^^^same experience for me with Dutch Passion on flower time, mold, maybe potency I would say fair as opposed to pretty good. Ran a pack out over two OD seasons. However I didn’t give the plants much attention to be fair.

Have seen some real nice durban poison from Afropips threads though. Check out Dave Coulier’s work here

Peace
F2F

Koondense

Veteran
Tried to smoke durban poison(probably by Dutch Passion) a few times, outdoor weed, and every time I had a racy almost panicking effect which turned to a pleasant active high after some minutes. I assume they were never properly ripe as outdoor folks always talk about mold here.
So decided I had to grow my own and see what's what :)
Right now I have a small plant of Durban Poison by Nirvana, looks stocky so I feel she'll be a stinky quick sativa, at least by the looks and stem rub smells right now.
The long version would be sold by Cannabiogen and Tropical Seeds(12-14 weeks), I think they're almost the same line.

Cheers

bigAl25

Veteran
Koondemse< I'm really interested in how your Nirvana Durban Poison turns out. I just sprouted 5 fem seeds along with 5 Skywalker OG. I'm a 70s child who grew up on the up buzz of Mexican and Colombian ganja and want to find that energy inducing ganja again. If I get mine to full maturity I'll post up some photos. Plan to veg for at least 4 weeks and top a few times. Any idea on proper flowering time under two 400 watt lamps(mh and hps)?

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
in region you can find short flowering sativas, everybody knows Ciskei and I also saw lesotho took only 10 weeks - cannabiogen uses it in cross, but both looks like sativas. so those broad leaf phenos comes from durban x skunk or durban x afghan.

clearheaded

forgot to mention think it was sam who said it was dam near fastest var he ever seen narrow leafed or not! so dunno if middle eastern semi/north african var would be in genetic as would think would of seen plenty of lebenese ketama var.

so perhaps just a lucky pick and as dont think many selections were made on it way back when late 70s or whenever first was known to be cultivated in the new world..

Same experience with mold and potency... Some phenos had paranoïa when harvested early.
I never found so late phenos in DP Durban.... Is our weather better here in West Europe?
One stick one bud plant from 1 seed was ready end-august. It was stress induced outdoor.

romanoweed

also even Mexico has high Mountains. 5600 Meters / 1800 feet.

picture.php

So, it seems every Tropical Region that had reportorted suspicious shortflowering Plants actually has high mountains. Not claiming anything

'Boogieman'

Same experience with mold and potency... Some phenos had paranoïa when harvested early.
I never found so late phenos in DP Durban.... Is our weather better here in West Europe?
One stick one bud plant from 1 seed was ready end-august. It was stress induced outdoor.

We usually don't get frost until late October/November, but I like early finishing strains because it's illegal in my state. I'm at 43°N. I only had one pheno go until late October and it wasn't as good as the ones that finish about October 10th.

The first picture is the later finishing sativa pheno. The second is the more common pheno that finishes around October 10th.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-01-18-03-32.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-10-01-18-03-32.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_20191006-125949_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191006-125949_Gallery.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 71

clearheaded

the flower trigering is the main thing. why hybrids work well i think because sativas are more sensitive to daylight change. so thought that was the main thing some of those NLD looking plants work well in north. mighty mite timewarp have narrower leaves and of course the durban "early sativa" var.. but just a guess. aswell as many early "outdoor" var are more light sensative and probably why hermi indoors...?

and yes roman highland varietys are faster. highland oaxacan highland hymalan for example.