What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any chance of Harvesting a pure 20-24 week Sativa at 45 degree?

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Thcvhunter,

might really be!
good thought.. would be interesting what kiona would say(He grows Outdooronly and makes it commercially aviable)
I mean he survives as mostly equatorial sativas seller, and he grows outoor where? i dont know exactly, but i bet he automatically chooses Strians as sellable wich also survive the northern roughness, but still provide the most possible Sativaexperience..i said most.

I could imagine that the most brilliant gem wouldnt become commercially aviable as outddoorweed, cause it doesent develop good. I could imagine the opposite too. The vigourus wonder, wich we just see even more rare, than even a pure Landrace.

One that Thcvhunter may have in his Garden..

Zamalito is East of the Cascades.
Im on the West.
Totally different environment.
He is high mountain desert and Im rainforrest.
Both are ~45°N

It was real nice growing in Napa last year.
I couldve flowered into the next Spring there.

White Beard

They also told that Light doesent shift to red at 45 Degree latitude , or doo they on northpole have an even more red hue? i never saw that with my eye . The morning, evening red is just a little detail regarding its intensity, so it is not really what i try to imitate, or desimitate (imitate equatorial unredness) , it just doesent seem important ingredients for a euatorial nature-copy i think. But you mean overall more red on 45 degree. They said spectrum doesent change whether on 0, 45 or other degree lat. That was what i googled, and the Graphs of 0 and 45 degree - masurements didnt show any difference in Composition. no no

You wanted just to know if i know what i say. Yes , i, well, have indices wich make me think its possible, scientifical ones. I also told this earlier somehow that i have these graphs showing no big or no diference in spectral light-composition in 45 or 0 degree lat.
There were different soures showing that Light is just mostly stronger at 0 Deg.Lat while using a certain angle-calculation
It was Average calculation.. yearwise. Still , the most intense day at 45 Deg. sunwise shines same strong as the weakest Day at 0 Deg.
So at anytime Intensity will be stronger at 0 Deg. (or same strong for 1 secound) than at 45 Deg. At any Time.. Thats why i think over Reflective reinforcement

Again 68 Degree angle is the sun at shortest day at 45 Deg. , its the 22 Dec north! And that is around the Last remaining days i would flower my Plants untreated! 68 degree, is not very far apart from 90 degree, wich would mean sun below horizon or whatever.. Its very unsunny in December , so i celarly see the Picture of a very lonely depressing Enviroment for a Tropical Plant.... I would also like to know if they flower at doublesummer at Euqator, at wich period, or if they do autoflower (regarding the exact intensity)...

I’m sorry, I can’t parse this. Again I say, in a different way: stop thinking so hard about this...I think you’re thinking too much about it, and your comments sound confused.

You say you think I just want to know what you’re talking about, and you say you do. Based on your words, I can’t possibly verify that you do - I hope others will chime in - it seems very much to me like you are focusing too hard on things that matter less, and you seem to ignore things that matter more.

I don’t know how to bridge this gap: I may be completely wrong and don’t know it, but the seasons I understand, how we get them, how they work - these I do understand. The dance of Sun and Earth is as old as time itself. It is well understood as processes go.

If you’ve ever seen pink, orange, or rosy clouds at sunset, then you have seen the red shift, it is caused by light moving through atmosphere at a flat angle, not plunging straight down out of space.

Maybe spend more time outside where you are, look at how the sunlight falls, what it does to colors as it moves in and out of clouds, watch the sun set, look around at the way the light changes...maybe you should smoke some herb before you go out

PDX Dopesmoker

thanx pdx dopesm.

good you question waht i say and not just agree without checking. I researched what you said, still have to look further, but shortly i have this:
They say most of the illumination everywhere on earth is done by direct light, around 96 percent i recall.
As i understood light important for plants aswell humans, animals is all in the visible range, there are some rare exeptions, basically visible light matters.
Looking to graph we see, if its cloudy or direct sunrays, its "basically" a flat response of all colors from ultraviolet to red(350=uv 700= infrared). it tilts a bit when cloudy, but its a flat decrease from violet to red without any spikes or holes.. :

View Image

i also read uv is filtered in ozone-sphere, wich is in lower stratosphere. I cause of that could imagine, that it might be filered stronger, when going not so straight, and therefore trough the ozone-sphere.. and what i see:

View Image

above the atmosphere the only difference to sealevel is a tilt, peak at the uv light.

So all i can for now is assume. i assume that all that is even possible to differ, is the uv-part. and i heard of people discussing uv beeing important , but due to danger in experimenting with uv nobody sems to know if it affects our plants. Its just the possibility that stays over due to no further research,
And yes there are this holes in the secoud graph, but it that graph goes into invisible light i think, so important is just 350 to 700... i just let it be for now, i think uv MAY differ because of the different angle and therefore more possible absorbtion for 45 degree latitude than equator.

So the uv might make the difference and overall brightness not. If anyone finds conrete results of measurements equator compared to northeern latitudes, please post link. i didnt find anything in the pdf of pdx dopesmoker

The Y axis on that 2nd chart is mislabeled at the top and what kind of units is that? Watts per meter^2 per micron? Seems weird.

romanoweed

If you’ve ever seen pink, orange, or rosy clouds at sunset, then you have seen the red shift, it is caused by light moving through atmosphere at a flat angle, not plunging straight down out of space.

and i anwsered you on this only sporadically cause it would have been to long post, to complicated. Now longer: the Red shift like i anwsered is rather a byproduct, IF we wanna know what matters when reproducing Tropics.
I think i researched it enough, that what matters to Plants is Lightfrequencies and their strength. And they said something like : direct sunlight is 95 percent of the important Actions and effects wich Light does and Matters for Plants. Reflected Light is 5 percent important.
They laid it out with: the blue of the sky doesent really effect the Light that much wich radiates around . Alltho it still does a tiny bit and we get a blue hue so weak that we cant really make it out it with eyes, but it would be masurable.. ((Like per example with the old photograph teckniue))
The redshift i think they also did mention also doesent really affect the curve of recieved strenght of each Lightfrequencies overall.

And ithink said i have never seen a stronger redshift on Pictures FROM NORTHPOLE with my eyes i think.
Alltho this is vague claim i did with that i wanted to say with this in particullar, the redshift doesent really matter for Plants regarding replication of Tropical Sunlight for the most part . The Idea of an spectral difference you seemed to comunicate, that further North there is more Red as at Equator i wanted to tell you is not even visible to the(my) Eye, or did never really catch my eye (again, vague, subjective claim). I never saw any more red hue on northpole during the overall Day(night)pictures..

Hey and Dopesmoker:
I wanted not to show Watts with that picture, im sorry if i confused you. I wanted to show a model to determine if there is a smaller overall Angle of incoming Light at 45Degree (40 Degree in this particullar Graph) than on 0Degree.

Last edited:

White Beard

You didn’t understand any of my posts, so I’m out.
You’ve decided you’re right, you know what you plan to do.

Do it.

pinkus

Veteran
You didn’t understand any of my posts, so I’m out.
You’ve decided you’re right, you know what you plan to do.

Do it.
I feel your frustration.

But you are also right in that he is going to do what he's going to do. More power to him.

Good luck Romanoweed.

I do think whitebeard has some good points. I think that you are focusing on the things that are the similar to your enviornment. It's not the things that are similar that are likely to derail your plans, but the things that are just outright different.

:shooty:

romanoweed

Im going trough the things i can pick up. And any of the things i can pick up might make the difference. Since i openminded thought it might be the light wich is different, i googled for it, (or someone showed a link with 200 sites forest studies to tell me about light) but anyway i googled openminded and the first Thing i found since the 200 sites made me tired , not that im unhappy about it, but the first Thing i found was a simple aproch.
A simple aproach about light difference betwenn 45 and 0 degree lat. The fact that i speak Long time about it is rather that i go trough any doubts from myselve, and Report my thought processes.
And again something i just have to make clear. whitebird said i was Kind of sure that you dont Need strong light for vegitative period. That is in my Opinion wrong, in my Point of view, i told this idea as a question, and said is it possible to just use weak light without a Problem or i said it like: i think it could be, its possible that.... I would never do that.
I might have written it later AGAIN, but not only wrote it without these : i guess, i think thingys out of a simple reasons: it would nearly become too complicated. So, i might have written it LATER without such an ad on. But not only. So even this might Sound like a stupid half glas full , half empty Claim i doo here , i decided its better cause i f someone reads this thread from back it paints a bad Picture of me. Wich again is Kind of untrue, cause i cant write i guess, it think.. all the time. I did the right i think. And i decided to make this clear even it could seem like a half Glass full/empty Thing, i then just did it.

Last edited:

romanoweed

And again i didnt told you all the indices wich seem to suport the 30 percent weake rlight theory. I think i showed enough that there is a steeper angle, especially with the last Picture. So assumed we agree there is a steeper angle,..... there is a steeper angle at 45 degLat. ,its 45 degree, where on equator its 90 degree sunshine-angle. So why is the sunshine now 30 percent stronger at equator??? and would sunshine be stronger at 45 lat. if i just tilt plants 45 degree?? (assumed plants would stay in 45 degree Position, wich they dont i think)
The Anwser is, eventually no, if you turn plants 45 degree to the sun, at 45 Lat, they would stand better in sunshine, and be shined on in most perfect angle, from perfect above, but light would eventually still be same weak compared to equator as before. But why is that?? This what im telling now is my own conclusion, so i might be completly wrong, but : light shines very direct like rays, but also to the sides. And trough the sidedrift of a given say: square on a endless field of identical squares will be shined on from neighboring square due to the weak, but cumulating sidedrift of sunrays. (Radiation)
Thats why when you shine sun from 90 degree above to our Earth, there is less blockage from the siderays, wich you have when shining sun onto a 45 degree angled ground. the rays will beblocked on one side. So i think the explonation is Kind of undecided, wich they(and me then) did. Indices: i know this from acoustics, when i hear Music on a normal Stereo, or a PA (clubsized Stereo), then i see per example the singer quiet normal sized in front of me(Imagination).. but when i go to a big Festival, i see a singer endless big. There seems a Kind of glue, or cummulation of same directed Sound sources to a single only source. So this is my explonation, and a vague one, but for me thats enough.

Last edited:

romanoweed

This is just to say, the Problem isnt fixed by tilting a plant acording to my theory. and if that makes you doubt. I (hobbyscintists)gave a good Indiz for the sunangle-theory saying: why is it consistently hotter around equator? cause the sunangle.

therevverend

Veteran
would be interesting what kiona would say(He grows Outdooronly and makes it commercially aviable)

They use light deprivation, the only way to make tropical strains commercially viable in a non-tropical environment. Besides indoor growing.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This is just to say, the Problem isnt fixed by tilting a plant acording to my theory. and if that makes you doubt. I (hobbyscintists)gave a good Indiz for the sunangle-theory saying: why is it consistently hotter around equator? cause the sunangle.

The sun's angle through the atmosphere is where it's at. Once that light gets filtered out by the atmosphere, it ain't coming back. Tilting the plant does nothing.

romanoweed

to pinkus
my indice for the light intesity, or spectral importance comes from different places mostly on icmag on wich People told pure sativas seem to Need stronger lights ..These was stated by indoor growers 3 4 times . They said i think results changed dramatically when going from regular lighting to abnormal strong lighting. eventally light has to be fixed outdoors acording to .. peace

And i didnt mean my explonatin is anyhow wrong regarding its Effect or its cause.. it was only the exact part with the und-denseness of sunrays per space, wich makes less light-power on 45 Degree lat. wich seems not detailed expained. But then again if you speak to Long and detailled it can get confusing, so i could call it a shortcut of my own constructed theory, the one with the acoustics-thingy.

Its funny

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
They use light deprivation, the only way to make tropical strains commercially viable in a non-tropical environment. Besides indoor growing.

Not true.

Like I said, I grow tropical sativas at 47N.
Pacific Northwest, Rainforest.

Here’s a Malawi/Thai-dom hybrid.
I took her to the first week of Dec, through three months of constant rain.
No mold.

Now, I can’t go into Jan/Feb because it freezes mid/late-Dec, but Im sure not restricted to growing fast-flowering lines done at the end of Aug.

Attachments

• 641E663F-CE47-46E9-8370-FA1A724D8BF9.jpg
    641E663F-CE47-46E9-8370-FA1A724D8BF9.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 3D899ECD-0CB7-4F5F-9655-B151B5341041.jpg
    3D899ECD-0CB7-4F5F-9655-B151B5341041.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 42

romanoweed

Oh no, pdx dopesmoker i misread your last post, so my Response to it was wrong..alltho i still cant say much to it . I didnt look to exact numbers here. more to the shape, its anyway a Little small Resolution to make exact observations(to less numbers) i think

PDX Dopesmoker

Oh no, pdx dopesmoker i misread your last post, so my Response to it was wrong..alltho i still cant say much to it . I didnt look to exact numbers here. more to the shape, its anyway a Little small Resolution to make exact observations(to less numbers) i think

Thanks, I think I understand what that unit label means now.

kokomarin

In my area ,35 years ago,mediterran coastal adriatic island climate,some islands microlocation without real frost ,tropical bagseed african hermy plant finishing in march.
From march to march.
I do every year few decembar finishing plant.

Last year police harvested ,in late novembar grinspoon and nevile haze wich start flowering in the end of semtembar.
My goal is startflowering before 15.9 and flowering till frost come(cristmass time)
Now,I have some flowering plants loced in flowering stage.
what have no fire inside,will finish lifetime.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Not true.

Like I said, I grow tropical sativas at 47N.
Pacific Northwest, Rainforest.

Here’s a Malawi/Thai-dom hybrid.
I took her to the first week of Dec, through three months of constant rain.
No mold.

Now, I can’t go into Jan/Feb because it freezes mid/late-Dec, but Im sure not restricted to growing fast-flowering lines done at the end of Aug.

God damn dude.... nice job. Every once in a while it stays nice until xmas here. I put some swazi and Honduran in the ground this year with that in mind. Last year it froze at end of October, but the swazi did really well in the cold rain. But at one point the fan leaves took a beating and I had to pull. But the buds were fine. Not super dense but it was personal. This year they'll go into cobs.

St. Phatty

Anybody use Mirrors outdoors to grab some extra light for the plants ?

If it works for solar thermal, it'll work for pot growing.

PDX Dopesmoker

I think you cliud use a Fresnel Lens from a rear projection TV, but that would only help a few plants.

Some lens materials have poor transmissivity of light in the UV end of the spectrum, but the idea of concentrating winter sunlight to a higher density is pretty neat. Adding in some kind of solar powered heating for the soil might help outdoor plants in cold temperatures a ton as well. A solar water heater connected to copper tubes buried in the soil and circulating warm water might keep the microbes happier.
There are places on the NW coast where one might be able to grow outdoors overwinter if the plant was tough enough like the one kokomarin had.

Latest posts

Latest posts