What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there any chance of Harvesting a pure 20-24 week Sativa at 45 degree?

romanoweed

Based on this graph, you would need to go 53.3º up or down from the equator for light to be half as intense.

picture.php

didnt just trust this single calculation.. another said roundabout the same:

The smaller the angle, the greater the surface area over which the sun’s rays spread. This effect reduces the sun’s intensity in any one place. For example, at a 45 degree angle of incidence, solar radiation covers a 40 percent greater area and is 30 percent less intense than at the maximum angle of incidence of 90 degrees.

Both calculations match kind of... one of bouth was calculated aroud 45 degre:

And 45 degree angle equals 45 degree latitude i think.

result: 45 degree latitude equals 30 procent less sun intensity

romanoweed

found something about how strong reflective material in indor growing can inrease lighting power . they wrote:

In fact, proper reflection can get up to 30% more light to your cannabis plants! This is all without changing anything else about your setup. No extra electricity, just 30% more light!

mylar material wich is highly effective is even cheap

romanoweed

here i made a model of the proper angles how to get the most light reflected during the day and let direc sunlight in so long as possible even morning evening. fOf corse this thought to be covered with mylar or other reflective material inside. And of course you can put it into the ground and put glass on top like the one in the video. eventually use a mirror instead of mylar on the tilted part above. notice also slight angles at the shorter frontpeace

picture.php

romanoweed

i made some fine adjustments
version 1: same as shown above:

picture.php

version 2: Notice in version in morning you dont really get the sun in if the plants are fully grown thats why i made it simply higher, so it gets in . (but in version 1 when plants little actually sun gets in in morning) .... :

picture.php

version 3: dont let the sun in the morning in directly, but let her still be reflected at the top panel, but therefore in midday more reflection also from the front panel:

picture.php

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Most of the times I used to go for hybrids around 10 weeks of flower for outdoor around 45N. Once managed to finish some 11-12 weeks hibrid. But I am very sure you can't do much more than that, let alone 20+ weeks ones without a heated gh.
I wouldn't worry too much about light intensity, unless we talk about really bad weather in the fall. You could always grow them in pots and finish inside once the weather gets fucked up. It's harder and they will need more water, but easier than doing stuff with mirrors to gain solar intensity. Also, do you get how those mirrors would make your grow shine from any airplane or helicopter that gets in viewing range of it?? WTF!
For me is much more easier to go with 10 weeks flowering stuff outdoors for hashmaking and keep the sativas and sativa leaning hibrids for indoor.

romanoweed

They say: in equator the light intensity isnt less out of no reason.. the reason is cause the sun shines at an different angle.. doing the calculation we see, that for the same amount of light there is more surface shined on at a higher latitude. so ther they get less light per square-foot-meter . here:

picture.php

They say thats the basically the simple reason.
And therefore forcing the light back into its original angle is actually what i would doo with that.
And to my knowledge i heard a couple times that pure sativas needed the strongest light.. i think its better to try .
But its defenitly risky

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Want to know the power of the sun at the equator? I got the biggest sunburn of my life walking on the beach for 1 hour on a very overcast day in Ecuador. Had huge blisters/bubbles on the top of my feet. Could barely walk for a week (lesson learned).

pinkus

Veteran
My suggestion is try one or two extreme sativa, and some less extreme as well. You will get a better idea in the end of what is happening with the plants. Nature didn't accidentally design plants to thrive in the wrong climate. You are not going to find mangrove in the desert.

The plants don't care how much you rationalize the possibility of success.

PDX Dopesmoker

They say: in equator the light intensity isnt less out of no reason.. the reason is cause the sun shines at an different angle.. doing the calculation we see, that for the same amount of light there is more surface shined on at a higher latitude. so ther they get less light per square-foot-meter . here:

View Image

They say thats the basically the simple reason.
And therefore forcing the light back into its original angle is actually what i would doo with that.
And to my knowledge i heard a couple times that pure sativas needed the strongest light.. i think its better to try .
But its defenitly risky

If you're interested in constructing a model of how sunlight behaves when it travels through the atmosphere at various different angles and at different wavelengths or want to know how it all works in general, you don't need to do all of your own figuring, others have been over the topic and done it to death years ago in the field of atmospheric science. The key term to look out for is "atmospheric extinction". The US Naval almanac will tell you everything you need to look for in terms of length of day at different latitudes and the altitude of the sun above the horizon will tell you what quality of sunlight is reaching the ground.

romanoweed

thanx pdx dopesm.

good you question waht i say and not just agree without checking. I researched what you said, still have to look further, but shortly i have this:
They say most of the illumination everywhere on earth is done by direct light, around 96 percent i recall.
As i understood light important for plants aswell humans, animals is all in the visible range, there are some rare exeptions, basically visible light matters.
Looking to graph we see, if its cloudy or direct sunrays, its "basically" a flat response of all colors from ultraviolet to red(350=uv 700= infrared). it tilts a bit when cloudy, but its a flat decrease from violet to red without any spikes or holes.. :

picture.php

i also read uv is filtered in ozone-sphere, wich is in lower stratosphere. I cause of that could imagine, that it might be filered stronger, when going not so straight, and therefore trough the ozone-sphere.. and what i see:

picture.php

above the atmosphere the only difference to sealevel is a tilt, peak at the uv light.

So all i can for now is assume. i assume that all that is even possible to differ, is the uv-part. and i heard of people discussing uv beeing important , but due to danger in experimenting with uv nobody sems to know if it affects our plants. Its just the possibility that stays over due to no further research,
And yes there are this holes in the secoud graph, but it that graph goes into invisible light i think, so important is just 350 to 700... i just let it be for now, i think uv MAY differ because of the different angle and therefore more possible absorbtion for 45 degree latitude than equator.

So the uv might make the difference and overall brightness not. If anyone finds conrete results of measurements equator compared to northeern latitudes, please post link. i didnt find anything in the pdf of pdx dopesmoker

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
It depends on the microclimate you have, I at 45 n I cultivated without too many problems zamaldelica, Honduras sativa, oldtimer haze x thai (green haze x thai works better) I'll try with original haze, from me the biggest problem is the fog combined with frost, to end of November, surely you also need a lot of luck ...

St. Phatty

As a guerrilla grow, I don't know.

If the grow has access to electricity - it helps.

I'm moving some indoor seedlings outdoors tomorrow to enjoy the 12 hour days we're having - at 42 North - in the spring-time.

I figure you're talking about fitting into the normal summer grow.

What are temps like this time of year ? Is there enough sun to do a spring-time flowering cycle using plants that have been started indoors under lights, during winter ?

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It depends on the microclimate you have, I at 45 n I cultivated without too many problems zamaldelica, Honduras sativa, oldtimer haze x thai (green haze x thai works better) I'll try with original haze, from me the biggest problem is the fog combined with frost, to end of November, surely you also need a lot of luck ...

It's not often that I envy someone on the internet, but man, you seem very lucky and worth of a bit of my envy.
Can you please tell us more? Are there factors of features to look for when searching for a proper microclimate like you say you got? Or it's just something very specific to the place you are using?
Thank you and good luck with your grows.

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
Thanks but the credit is not mine, but the microclimate where I live...
Fog, rain and humidity in autumn are not a problem, you must be kept from getting frost (excellent solution for transpiring sheets for gardening)...

troutman

Seed Whore
Want to know the power of the sun at the equator? I got the biggest sunburn of my life walking on the beach for 1 hour on a very overcast day in Ecuador. Had huge blisters/bubbles on the top of my feet. Could barely walk for a week (lesson learned).

^^^^^^^^^

Translated:

I'm from a Northern country, was out looking for beach boobs and forgot we burn easy. :biggrin:

therevverend

Veteran
If the grow has access to electricity - it helps.

For sure.

The most obvious approach of all, if you absolutely have to flower a plant for 20 weeks, is to use light deprivation. That's 20 weeks, around 5 months, of 12 hours on, 12 hours off, tarp flipping or whatever, but then how bad do you want it?

romanoweed

to st.phatty

Temperatures regarding sprintime-flowering:

this temperatures are from climadigramm
they are the averages of each certain month:

----- dec. jan. feb. march april ---celcius

day :: 4 _ 4 _ 5 _ 11 _ 15
night: 0 _ -1 _ 0 _ 3 _ 4

day :: 39 _ 39 _ 41 _ 52 _ 59
night: 32 _ 30 _ 32 _ 37 _ 39
Snow is often first single couple days around 1. jan. , and then laying snow but rather rarely refreshing from middle jan. to last end of feb. I think minimum temp. is reaching spikes of rarely -10c./14f. , very rarely -15c./5f.. rare sunshine, february full day gray
would a heated greenhouse work to get them to flower?

Last edited: