What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Big problems with bubblers – DWC, RDWC grower's opinions

Absolem

You mean you agree with AnusBrown?

Laughing right back at you

Your numbers ignorance, not withstanding...

Yes, I screwed up when I transferred these plants from their starter home into their grow/harvest tents, BUT, I neglected to change the light timer from ~ 12/12 back to ~ 18/6. Within 2 weeks I had pistils on tiny plants and was like WTF? As soon as I figured it out, I increased the light, but that's the equivalent of a reveg, which produces single bade leafs. You knew that, right... right... right

So tell me master grower, do single blade leafs not process chlorophyll? The only possible answer you could provide is yes, BUT, 5+ blade leafs would process more, and I would agree, but look at the abundance of single bade leafs and the huge mount of buds I have.
:laughing:

Friday's Update. Oh the horror

View attachment 458998 View attachment 458999 View attachment 459000

Yes, I screwed up when I transferred these plants from their starter home into their grow/harvest tents, BUT, I neglected to change the light timer from ~ 12/12 back to ~ 18/6. Within 2 weeks I had pistils on tiny plants and was like WTF? As soon as I figured it out, I increased the light, but that's the equivalent of a reveg, which produces single bade leafs. You knew that, right... right... right

My view of your plants remains unchanged from my first post in this thread. They still look like fucked up garbage. This is what makes your thread so entertaining to many of us. You come off as Professor Bud Knowitall but yet YOU KEEP MAKING ROOKIE MISTAKES EVERY GROW. Not checking your pH, pH meters off, forgetting to change your light timers. Isn't it about time to change your ice packs out so your rez temp doesn't spike?

which produces single bade leafs. You knew that, right... right... right

I recently missed cloning a plant. Had to reveg it after harvest. It grew one blade leaves then kicked out more mature leaves. Your plants never kicked out 3-5 fingered leaves like they should have at some point. Plants don't stay in reveg just because they are in flower. They double in size the first three weeks of flower and produce many new leaves. But your bullshit never recouped which tells me there is more going on in your room then just light timer issues.

So tell me master grower, do single blade leafs not process chlorophyll? The only possible answer you could provide is yes, BUT, 5+ blade leafs would process more, and I would agree, but look at the abundance of single bade leafs and the huge mount of buds I have. [/SIZE] :laughing:

Did I say they couldn't process chlorophyll? Nope. Leaves are refereed to as "sinks" and "faucets". "Sink" leaves can only take in nutrients and are unable to move mobile nutrients from leaf to leaf. "Faucet" leaves are mature and can take in nutrients and move the mobile nutrients to other parts of the plant. Your one blade leaves could only take in nutes. That's why they look all burned and pathetic. I see your "abundance" of one blade leaves as a failure on your part of not getting the plants back on track not something to be proud of.

and the huge mount of buds I have. [/SIZE] :laughing:

Friday's Update. Oh the horror
View attachment 458998 View attachment 458999 View attachment 459000

Funny stuff there Bud. I don't see a "huge" amount of buds. I see some Charlie Brown plants plants that don't even fill the tent up. Bunch of wispy and airy flowers with no bulk or density. Flowers have a certain look when they are done. Whether they are sativa or indica they should have that properly finished look. Your plants don't have that proper finished look. It's like looking at plants that have been sprayed with green cure. Green Cure sprayed pistols have a different look then properly finished flowers. The picture of the plant on the far left that you used to compare to your forearm is full of larfy airy buds. I can see day light through that bud when I zoom in on it. The colas on that plant have what I call skeleton buds. The bud is there but's there's no to meat it. The plant on the far right is one of the worst plants I have ever seen. Get some balls and post pictures of your gear in the "Free your budshots" thread or the "Frostiest Buds" thread and get some feed back like I said before. Let's see how the community rates your larf flowers.

Your standards of quality flowers has been reduced to pounding your chest and patting yourself on the back over some gnarly looking one blade plants with sub par flowers. The only person who brags about how great your plants and flowers are is you. No dank growers on this site engage your thread.

Last edited:
Someone else mentioned it already but I used the grenade style stones last run with no real problems. I was running an undercurrent setup. This run I’m using coco in pots but feed from a res, I don’t even put a stone in my res now and my plants have never looked better.

Absolem

Good points about air stones in this thread.
I found it's easiest just to throw them out after each run and replace with new.
I like Active Aqua stones for price and consistency. I buy a few extras because there are always some new ones that just don't work good.

Sweetwater makes some of the best air stones out there that can be fully cleaned. But you have to use muriatic acid to clean them. Never have done it because of the amount of acid needed and just seems like a lot of work.
https://pentairaes.com/aeration/air-diffusers

I use a rez too for my coco DTW and only have the air stones kick on for a few minutes before the auto feed turns on just to agitate the fertilizer solution.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
My view of your plants remains unchanged from my first post in this thread. They still look like fucked up garbage. This is what makes your thread so entertaining to many of us. You come off as Professor Bud Knowitall but yet YOU KEEP MAKING ROOKIE MISTAKES EVERY GROW. Not checking your pH, pH meters off, forgetting to change your light timers. Isn't it about time to change your ice packs out so your rez temp doesn't spike?

I recently missed cloning a plant. Had to reveg it after harvest. It grew one blade leaves then kicked out more mature leaves. Your plants never kicked out 3-5 fingered leaves like they should have at some point. Plants don't stay in reveg just because they are in flower. They double in size the first three weeks of flower and produce many new leaves. But your bullshit never recouped which tells me there is more going on in your room then just light timer issues.

Did I say they couldn't process chlorophyll? Nope. Leaves are refereed to as "sinks" and "faucets". "Sink" leaves can only take in nutrients and are unable to move mobile nutrients from leaf to leaf. "Faucet" leaves are mature and can take in nutrients and move the mobile nutrients to other parts of the plant. Your one blade leaves could only take in nutes. That's why they look all burned and pathetic. I see your "abundance" of one blade leaves as a failure on your part of not getting the plants back on track not something to be proud of.

Funny stuff there Bud. I don't see a "huge" amount of buds. I see some Charlie Brown plants plants that don't even fill the tent up. Bunch of wispy and airy flowers with no bulk or density. Flowers have a certain look when they are done. Whether they are sativa or indica they should have that properly finished look. Your plants don't have that proper finished look. It's like looking at plants that have been sprayed with green cure. Green Cure sprayed pistols have a different look then properly finished flowers. The picture of the plant on the far left that you used to compare to your forearm is full of larfy airy buds. I can see day light through that bud when I zoom in on it. The colas on that plant have what I call skeleton buds. The bud is there but's there's no to meat it. The plant on the far right is one of the worst plants I have ever seen. Get some balls and post pictures of your gear in the "Free your budshots" thread or the "Frostiest Buds" thread and get some feed back like I said before. Let's see how the community rates your larf flowers.

Your standards of quality flowers has been reduced to pounding your chest and patting yourself on the back over some gnarly looking one blade plants with sub par flowers. The only person who brags about how great your plants and flowers are is you. No dank growers on this site engage your thread.

while you are certainly entitled to your views, it doesn't make them accurate

No doubt you, and several others who seem to get off criticizing my grows, fails to understand is that I am a personal use grower who enjoys experimenting. And there's always a learning curve when you do.

And I appreciate your "why fix it if it ain't broke" attitude I get that, but if not for people thinking outside the box, we would still be using oxen to plow the fields.

An analogy: I have slept with many gorgeous women, too many laid there, passively, I have also slept with a few shall we say less than gorgeous women. All left me spent. the Moral is: you can't tell a book by its' cover.

Hopefully, you are done :tiphat:

Bobby Boucher

I don't think anybody "gets off" on criticizing your grows, m'dude. People are generally good. When they see others in need, they generally want to help each other.

If you are going to post pictures of less than ideal plants, and boast about the findings of your one sided experiments, maybe just .. don't insult the good natured and well meaning people who try and help you out along the way.

If you really don't want any help or advice, maybe a public forum isn't the best place to debate yourself. Jus' saying.. seems a little nutty..

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Bobby's correct, our intentions are entirely honorable and our goal is to help growers as much as possible.

Sweetwater makes some of the best air stones out there that can be fully cleaned. But you have to use muriatic acid to clean them. Never have done it because of the amount of acid needed and just seems like a lot of work.
https://pentairaes.com/aeration/air-diffusers
Does it have to be muriatic acid? I use pH up (potassium carbonate?) to clean my bong. Wondering if that'd work for these stones? :)

z00t

moved to dwc from soil because of garden and gnats... usualy bleach and toothbrush works or just buy new one if lazy lately i started 3d printing them check 3dponics

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't think anybody "gets off" on criticizing your grows, m'dude. People are generally good. When they see others in need, they generally want to help each other.

If you are going to post pictures of less than ideal plants, and boast about the findings of your one sided experiments, maybe just .. don't insult the good natured and well meaning people who try and help you out along the way.

If you really don't want any help or advice, maybe a public forum isn't the best place to debate yourself. Jus' saying.. seems a little nutty..

LOL my experience with so called help is that those who offer their educated opinions do not bother to dig into my threads beyond looking at a moment in time and criticizing , er um offering help.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
LOL my experience with so called help is that those who offer their educated opinions do not bother to dig into my threads beyond looking at a moment in time and criticizing , er um offering help.

I often found, that you offer a solution to a problem. But the guy your giving it to, don't really wanna be told what to change. He wanna be told what he's doing is correct, and it's only bad luck that his plants look like crap. And take up advice put out frank and direct as criticizm, in stead of looking into the advice he was given.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I often found, that you offer a solution to a problem. But the guy your giving it to, don't really wanna be told what to change. He wanna be told what he's doing is correct, and it's only bad luck that his plants look like crap. And take up advice put out frank and direct as criticizm, in stead of looking into the advice he was given.

When you have a problem and see a doctor about it, they offer you are prescription, which does nothing for the actual cause. Most of those who have responded acted like dumbass doctors, NEVER digging into the actual cause

Hopefully, you all are through jacking the OPs thread

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is the actual cause. "We" are quite aware of it.

De·lu·sion
dəˈlo͞oZHən/
noun
noun: delusion; plural noun: delusions
an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder. Misjudgment or paranoia in the intentions of others is common.

This is also why no one on the boards will be able to properly assist. The patient has to be aware of the problem before they can begin dealing with and correcting it.

Joint Lock

(Edit: I don't have issues, because I toss out stones every run) New flowering run, new stones. Use r/o water only, never let it dry out. I grab the 2-4" airstones available at whatever hydro shop I'm going through.

They are to cheap on amazon or ebay to be worried bout them .Buy in bulk

-TheShortTexan-

Ditch the stones and use bare tube, I never could tell any difference.

This... more movement in the water and better for me. I keep the stones on to anchor the lines and just poke several big holes a few inches up. Had a big air pump and the stones weren't letting it push it's full potential. Sometimes simpler is better. :good:

Honestly we all can look up to petaflora for 2 things. One is the ability to believe in yourself, no matter what The second is the ability to be able to draw creative conclusions from ancidotal evidence. My hat is off to you sir. Everyone should be useful for something. Some people just happen to be good at being a bad example. My only sincere hope is that through enough trial and error petaflora will finally learn a way that works for him to keep his plants happy and healthy from start to finish! Until then keep your head up, and please keep showing people how resilient pot plants are by testing the abuse they can take. It ain't all bad peta, as I'm great as a bad example too from time to time :moon:

insomniac_AU

Petflora I have only been a member here for a month and I've already seen enough to know the problem is you in all these arguments. There are many many people here with way more knowledge than you yet you constantly try and push your obviously wrong ideas on others.

while you are certainly entitled to your views, it doesn't make them accurate...
This is exactly the sort of reply you give whenever someone who knows a lot more than you gives you some advice. Someone could tell you a wheel is round yet you'll continue developing a square one.

I never said my thread is a BIBLE, it's a educational tutorial. with lots of experimenting.
See that's the issue. It isn't an "educational tutorial". It's mainly an inexperienced grower making lots of mistakes and arguing with people who know better.

Sorry to disappoint you, and the other slanderous aholes.

Those slanderous assholes are experienced people you could learn from. It's your attitude that makes them react the way they do.
As they say if you meet nothing but assholes it's time to look in the mirror.

Bobby Boucher

The flat disc stones I've used didn't disperse the air in any bigger of a footprint than a medium grenade. 90% of the air comes out right by the airline. Same experience with the longer airstones. If you've got air coming out the far end of your disc or stick, the front of it is probably gunked up with slime.

If you really want more evenly dispersed bubbles throughout your bucket or res, you'd be better off simply adding more air stones instead of worrying about what shape they come in.

At least, that's what I've observed with the stones I've come across.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Petflora I have only been a member here for a month and I've already seen enough to know the problem is you in all these arguments. There are many many people here with way more knowledge than you yet you constantly try and push your obviously wrong ideas on others.

This is exactly the sort of reply you give whenever someone who knows a lot more than you gives you some advice. Someone could tell you a wheel is round yet you'll continue developing a square one.

See that's the issue. It isn't an "educational tutorial". It's mainly an inexperienced grower making lots of mistakes and arguing with people who know better.

Those slanderous assholes are experienced people you could learn from. It's your attitude that makes them react the way they do.
As they say if you meet nothing but assholes it's time to look in the mirror.

You seem to be part of their clan, too lazy to go as far back as post #70, and went ahead(jacking the OPs thread) and added your 2 cents, but who the hell are you... what are your credentials for chiming in?

As you stated, you've only been here a month. so you really have no clue as to the interaction, their superior knowledge, nor mine.

To set YOU straight, I constantly experiment in an effort to advance the processes. They do not. Any researcher worth their salt had lots of failures. Investigate how many times Thomas Edison failed inventing the light bulb, as just one example

I have the luxury of growing for HOBBY, not profit. The worst that happens is my yield is less, but quality is still very high

All the few jackals do is try to pull me back to THEIR inside box thinking. Why?, because they know no other way. The only advice given (by NONE of these gurus), that was taken and appreciated was that I was not calibrating my pH pen often enough.

I learned (again NOT from these gurus) even spending big bucks for Oaktons pH devices, their probes go bad SLOWLY, meaning pH is not accurate for a good while, giving a false sense of security

Now you know why I consider them worthless trolls

OP here's what I am harvesting tonite and one 13" cola from the lowest part of this plant that I snipped 2 days ago

I really suck as a grower don't I?

View attachment 460285

View attachment 460286

View attachment 460287