What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Leak detectors, what are you using?

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love life & the many wonders it beholds.

In the interest of safety I’m wondering what you are using for leak detection?

Units range in price from cheap to expensive af. I’m looking to be frugal but at the same time get quality equipment.

Experience & suggestions please...?...

iTarzan

At night I go outside and see if there are light leaks. In the daylight I stay in the room after lights go out and see if any light is coming in from outside. No gadgets needed.

A guy goes to the doctor and says he can't see. The doctor takes him outside and says what is that. The guy answers the sun. The doctor says how far do you want to see.

Were you thinking of some kid of light meter?

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The quality leak detectors I found were for momentary rather than continuous testing, usually battery powered, and weren't cheap.

I bought two of these, one for my solvent storage area, and one for my extraction area.

"ARIKON Plug-In Combustible Gas Detector with Voice Warning, Digital Display" ~$17 from Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/ARIKON-Combu...rd_wg=l1rs3&psc=1&refRID=8P3NCCQEPN9FHPSXM4XF

I squirted some canned butane near it and it immediately went off, seems to work. :biggrin:

WishDoctor

this one from amazon, the PNG2000A Combustible Gas Leak Detector by General Tools
only I paid $12.00 in 2015...it works great, sounded off 2 times in the 100 plus extract runs.
which turned out to be loose stainless hose connections, those were a simple fix to tighten up.
I like it because you can scan each connection during the run being handheld. easy to test, just open
your tank a smidge and wave the pen. It's all the fire inspector said I needed since I store my tanks outside
in peruvian tambo styled huts

Last edited:

thcnology

We use these ones from Honeywell..continuous monitor high quality durable unit I've prob dropped it 100 times wearable if you want with a clip they run all day before needing a charge...

https://www.bw-gasmonitors.com/xxyy-mc2.html

Also we use these cheaper momentary more sniffer type probe ones for just checking connections...

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/micro-cd100-combustible-gas-detector

From my experience so far though I usually know before these things go off that I'm leaking but yes in the name of Mr. Safety Inspector..we're better safe than sorry;)

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the replies folks.

I dig the Honeywell clip on units but damn!! the price!!

I was previously looking at what amazon had to offer & there was a bunch of different Chinese brands so I thought asking would be helpful for more than just myself.

Also,
Thank you SkyHighLer for recommending the continuous leak detector. Detection of possible leaking tanks in storage could prevent a huge explosion! That’s something I had not yet considered.
:tiphat:

killa12345

this one from amazon, the PNG2000A Combustible Gas Leak Detector by General Tools
only I paid $12.00 in 2015...it works great, sounded off 2 times in the 100 plus extract runs.
which turned out to be loose stainless hose connections, those were a simple fix to tighten up.
I like it because you can scan each connection during the run being handheld. easy to test, just open
your tank a smidge and wave the pen. It's all the fire inspector said I needed since I store my tanks outside
in peruvian tambo styled huts

Ive been using this exact one...typically i can smell it before i need to check for a leak, but i always have one on hand and check all my tanks before i bring them inside as i still work outside unlike most closed loopers