Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Hemp > Why grow hemp?

Thread Title Search
Why grow hemp? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 AM #11
PDX Dopesmoker

PDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant futurePDX Dopesmoker has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Thanks for the info. Just to be clear, when we say 'grain', we mean seeds, right?
Yes, that seems to be the lingo in that sector of the cannabis growing world.
PDX Dopesmoker is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:23 AM #12
Emmay_Dee

Emmay_Dee will become famous soon enough
Most of the time its grown for its seeds oil anyway. Unless for cbd then you either grow it because your passionate or because the permits were cheaper and it conceils an illegal operation. Take your pick

~Peace~
Emmay_Dee is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 AM #13
Jellyfish
Invertebrata intoxica

Jellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivorJellyfish is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmay_Dee View Post
Most of the time its grown for its seeds oil anyway. Unless for cbd then you either grow it because your passionate or because the permits were cheaper and it conceils an illegal operation. Take your pick

~Peace~
That may be true these days, but the stalks are what they make rope and canvas and stuff like that from. What a great plant!!!
Jellyfish is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 05:38 PM #14
Payaso
Administrator

Payaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivorPayaso is a survivor
Glad to see this thread coming alive with so much thought about hemp
Payaso is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 06:22 PM #15
oldchuck

oldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud ofoldchuck has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Dopesmoker View Post
Theres already a guy on the forum who sells feminized hemp seed in bulk. Hopefully socioecologist will come in here and answer questions, but his posts in this thread https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330712 are worth reading. He seems to be growing for CBD production rather than fiber or the dreaded grain (info about grain growers mixing badly with sinsemilla growers is in that thread), but its all hemp in the eyes of the law.
Fiber growing sounds like it could be an interesting beast. Imagine a bunch of hippies decide that their 38% THC bud can't get much danker so they tack slightly and instead spend the next few decades worth of pleasure seeking energy and cannabis expertise trying to breed the most comfortable source of underwear.
I've had some chat with socioecologist about his product. They are not breeding for fiber or seed but high CBD fems. He seems quite proud of his seed lines but they are way more expensive than low cannabinoid hemp varieties. Cheaper than dope seed but you have to buy 7,000 seeds minimum order.
oldchuck is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 10:51 PM #16
Emmay_Dee

Emmay_Dee will become famous soon enough
I was one of ten people that cut clones and fed the entire La Junta, CO operation. Those plants lab tested 22-28% cbd. After multiple failed attempts to start new seed stock in late 2015 viable pollen was applied to certain mums showing traits and qualities more suited for a massive outdoor operation from being cut and duplicated so often clones would lose vigor because 300,000 were taken from a handfull of moms that remained from 3 original particular bred genomes. One of our Colorado phenomes was purple with a massive indica style leaf. One particular large lady had a silver kinda albino branch on it. Genetics on these kind of plants are so wacky it is damn near impossible to breed. And thats why that price is so high. I grew one of these plants from seed and it topped itself somehow and grew 2 heads. Smelled kinda like cherry cheesecake
Emmay_Dee is offline Quote

Old 01-26-2017, 11:08 PM #17
WHIPEDMEAT
Modortalan

WHIPEDMEAT has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellyfish View Post
Why don't hemp farmers plant all feminized seeds? Problem solved, where's my Nobel Peace Prize?
because fiber is not the only option, seed crops, and seeds can be used .. for not only plant it..
eat it, extract oil, use it as a bait in fishing,,
WHIPEDMEAT is online now Quote

Old 01-27-2017, 01:06 AM #18
Bud Green
I dig dirt

Bud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivorBud Green is a survivor
I found this wild hemp field in 1975, in northwest Missouri...It was at least 80 acres...

I dried and smoked some, (who wouldn't have tried that in 1975?) but didn't get any kind of buzz at all...
Similar to if I smoked dried leaves I found in the woods...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	86.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	394178 Click image for larger version

Name:	84x.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	394179

Isn't Mother Nature grand !
Bud Green is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:05 AM #19
WHIPEDMEAT
Modortalan

WHIPEDMEAT has disabled reputation
picture about strain (Hungary, 2016):
KC DORA

type : monoescius, season 120 days,
seed crop : good, weight of 1000pcs seeds : ~18g,
stem/stake : exceptional, fiber quality: fine

usage: fiber, energy crop, seed crop

Click image for larger version

Name:	13442453_1210860808937984_132011415621786528_o.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	394207
WHIPEDMEAT is online now Quote

Old 01-27-2017, 04:09 PM #20
armedoldhippy

armedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivorarmedoldhippy is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Green Sr. View Post
I found this wild hemp field in 1975, in northwest Missouri...It was at least 80 acres...

I dried and smoked some, (who wouldn't have tried that in 1975?) but didn't get any kind of buzz at all...
Similar to if I smoked dried leaves I found in the woods...
Illinois & northern Kentucky are eat up with hemp, as is Indiana the last i heard. several states have proposed eradicating it but were sued by their own Fish & Game departments because so many bird species eat the seeds, and other critters use it for cover. around Rantoul Ill. the damn stuff grows in the gravel between train tracks. gets up so tall, along comes a train & SNIP! lots of pheasants there, or used to be. nothing but a headache after burning a log of it...dammit. it LOOKED pretty though...