What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Funk Lab

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Malawi Gold from past season:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Wow, Mustafunk!
:tiphat:
I believe that is what Malawi Gold is supposed to look like, according to RCC. I just acquired what I've heard is a related strain, Mulanje.
:dance013:

Good to see this thread come back to life.
:biggrin:
ThaiBliss

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I believe that is what Malawi Gold is supposed to look like, according to RCC. I just acquired what I've heard is a related strain, Mulanje.
:dance013:

Good to see this thread come back to life.
:biggrin:
ThaiBliss

Yeah man, pretty happy with this Malawi from Afropips. I still have a few original beans, hopefully I will reproduce those sometime, although I have many other different seeds to run and it's hard to find the time and space for all this work.

I have some other different Malawi seeds to check as well, I have high hopes they will be even nicer than the Afropips one from what I have seen.

Best. :tiphat:

nickman

Veteran
I just buzzed through your entire thread. Awesome to say the least.

U have some real nice plants there buddy...

Ronni

i like the leaves of this Malawi from Afropips. Did you try the Malawi from Ace? How do they compare?

The Highland

How does Killer cut of Malawi compare to the Afropips line? I may be mistaken but I believe you mentioned elsewhere it floats in Spain? As well as the Queen Mother cut, for those of us in the US, do we settle for Ace's Malawi and Delicatessen's fems if looking to make a purchase today?

Really want to explore Spanish favorites. Do you have any recommendations for strains likely to stay in my garden? Interested in CBG and Delicatessen offerings.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
The Killer cut used to float around Spain indeed... at least a few years ago. It was resinous and potent but had a dense effect that will know you out if you smoke too much. Definitely not my idea of a good "sativa" plant or a classic Malawi Gold. The Golden Tiger F1 plants I have tried in the past had this same effect, since all those Meao Thai crosses were pretty female-dominant indeed.

I've read mixed reviews on the Malawi from African Seeds. Some people found it better than the verstion from Afropips, while others did the opposite.

I have a few F2 AS seeds via Bodhi that I hope to be able to compare to the Afropips version and 2 more Malawi lines we have been preserving along this last few years.

As for Spanish NLD favorites, Mextiza and probably Lilly or the Queen Mother are definitely some plants I loved to grow and smoke. Fast, easy, delicious and with a nice balanced high... anyone could be happy with those I guess.

I've been testing and photographying some other commercial hybrids as well, as part of my plan to work in a nice strain photo/smoke guide. I feel all the classic bud books are nice but too seedbank oriented. I'm planning to review all the clones and genetics most breeders and seedbanks are working with instead.

Casey Jones from Head Seeds, Truecannabliss cut:

Whitedawg #3, aka WD-40, selected by Krome and Neptune, from what I remember this cut earned a prize at the 2011 Denver Medical Cup. It was nice and strong but if you have grown any other Chemdog based hybrids you may find it predictable.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
I had a similar experience with the Casey Jones from Head Seeds, besides it was nice, potent and frosty hybrid, I've found it didn't really add anything brand new to the already nice Sour Diesel and Trainwreck plants it was created with. Plus it has really weak stems, stretchy nodes and a bit banana prone too. I need to test indoors the Periphery cut of Casey Jones sometime soon, since I have her around and many people seem to prefer this over the True Canna cut.

But anyway, after smoking several Diesel strains as Headbanger or Casey Jones, I feel I still prefer the original ECSD clone o even the Sour Diesel IBL "Riri" cut. In the same way, I prefer the Trainwreck alone over the Casey Jones, it has much more character, nicer "sativa" effect without the couchlock and she doesn't really need all those fuelish terpenes to shine through, since those are already too present within the mainstream Cannabis genepool.

I guess someday I may do my own Diesel hybrid, for example crossing a nice Diesel clone to a Mextiza male should be a nice and original twist to the already boring variety of Diesel hybrids, resulting in some yummy citrus terpenes plus a full head effect. ;)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Cheers.

Ronni

thanks for your insight on the Malawi cultivars. You mention the Lilly and i used to have it on my list on what's left to get, but from the description and some reviews i swaped it with Delicatessens Upstream. (also because i already stash a pack of the QM)

The Highland

Thank you for the many layers to your perspective.

I certainly hope you make some of those crosses sooner than later as that Mextiza is hard to find now ��

3rd-3yed

Veteran
Nice updates bro !

I didn't know that Bodhi's Malawi was in fact F2 of the AS version, glad I got a pack... Tell me if you need some for your researchs as I'm not planning to pop em soon.

With the infos on the Malawi "Killer" being not too clear in the high I will also wait a little to pop my two packs of Golden Tiger :laughing:

On Casey I never tried the Trainweck cut alone (but have a source to get it soon) but I loved the Periphery cut even if it's very sensitive to stress & can pop nanners in a crazy way. I need to find that Joe Shmoe cut, it seems to be the best of the Casey cuts, hope it's less sensitive to herm too...

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
beautiful pics.. a period.

back at 2007 casey jones seeds were bomb, but if you have ecsd cut, and you are no radical SOUR fan, than other sd hybrids are not so atractive for you, naturally. i didnt grow truecanna cut, but periphery is all right, its choc thai influenced imo and choc thai is known for hermies.. but when dialed in, periphery cut is all right, but again for sativa lover like you who can pick from jars full of wonderful mexican or africans or caribbeans :D its not fully satisfying probably hehe

i can say same thing about ghostrainhaze, that you like, its mix of three strains, and i like those strain separately, i dont like ogkush x haze, bleh. i mean im able to smoke, but no way it can hold against the original haze :D

Zitz

Great stuff Musta, Im especially drooling over your "Fire" Bubba - black plants always seem to taste/smoke good, the mettalic shampoo aroma (known in peyote purple) seems to emerge in dark blue/black Afghan phenotypes...

Very interested to hear how your Congo/other African lines are doing.

bajcus2

The Killer cut used to float around Spain indeed... at least a few years ago. It was resinous and potent but had a dense effect that will know you out if you smoke too much. Definitely not my idea of a good "sativa" plant or a classic Malawi Gold. The Golden Tiger F1 plants I have tried in the past had this same effect, since all those Meao Thai crosses were pretty female-dominant indeed.

I've read mixed reviews on the Malawi from African Seeds. Some people found it better than the verstion from Afropips, while others did the opposite.

I have a few F2 AS seeds via Bodhi that I hope to be able to compare to the Afropips version and 2 more Malawi lines we have been preserving along this last few years.

As for Spanish NLD favorites, Mextiza and probably Lilly or the Queen Mother are definitely some plants I loved to grow and smoke. Fast, easy, delicious and with a nice balanced high... anyone could be happy with those I guess.

I've been testing and photographying some other commercial hybrids as well, as part of my plan to work in a nice strain photo/smoke guide. I feel all the classic bud books are nice but too seedbank oriented. I'm planning to review all the clones and genetics most breeders and seedbanks are working with instead.

Casey Jones from Head Seeds, Truecannabliss cut:

Whitedawg #3, aka WD-40, selected by Krome and Neptune, from what I remember this cut earned a prize at the 2011 Denver Medical Cup. It was nice and strong but if you have grown any other Chemdog based hybrids you may find it predictable.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

nice buds Bro!