What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
If an ounce of bud was hung, dried, cured then bottled stored for 3 months and an ounce of bud from the same tree was cobbed and stored for 3 months, what would be the difference in the resulting weight (after 3 months) between the two types?
Provided the moisture content was the same the weight should be as well i would have thought.

Big Nasty

Big Nasty - very nice! I'd hit that until I had too much too!
Thanks man,but don't smoke too much especially the light green ones,strange things are going to happen,my tv screen usually become bigger and round and tokalosh(also named the invisible ones by Drunken Buddah)will play serious tricks on my mind,they're fast as hell and hard to catch [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
biggrin.gif
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
Some future cobs Panama x Honduras 12 weeks from 12/12 very fast maturing and covered in resin super pungent and ideal for fermenting.
Could have gone another week or two but I'm after that racy euphoric effect.
I have a clone I will take more matured to see the depth of effects. But by lengthening the sweat and cure time I believe I can get these effects from this earlier bud.
I have cure 3 cobs all different sweat and cure times to see if I can do it.
My last cobs of this strain with a longer cure are extremely deep and trippy.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

48N

very nice buds!

with how much pressure does everyone roll the cobs?

this season i used frozen fresh corn leaves from the summer which resulted in tighter cobs than the ones ive made with dried corn leaves for mexican food
and i still have to wait for curing but i think the less tight ones are more freshly aromatic? anyone having experience with that?
i think next season i will roll them with almost no compression and let the vaccum machine do the compression
learning each season...

48N

i also made small cobs with lebanese and early bubba hash, both containing lots of cbd
im curious how they will age and also look forward to eat a little bit after some months curing and see what it does, i can imagine it having more medicinal properties and being better available to the body after a cure

happy cobbing everyone

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
very nice buds!

with how much pressure does everyone roll the cobs?

this season i used frozen fresh corn leaves from the summer which resulted in tighter cobs than the ones ive made with dried corn leaves for mexican food
and i still have to wait for curing but i think the less tight ones are more freshly aromatic? anyone having experience with that?
i think next season i will roll them with almost no compression and let the vaccum machine do the compression
learning each season...
I put them as tight as I can. and let the vac do the rest. But I don't cob the traditional way.

Next batch will get cobbed with banana leaves. You can get them anytime of year from any Chinese grocer. I love shopping at T&T (www.tnt-supermarket.com), but any little grocer will have them. I might try Lotus Leaves if I can find them.

Dog Star

Veteran
From mine observation longer sweating gives more darker cobs in colour,

shorter sweating also exchange colour but more in yellow tones..

will try to sweat her for 3 or 4 weeks to sees difference does it will become even
more darker or toward black final cure..

F

Fermented

I usually roll them in parchment paper, tie with string, a 5 (128mm) inch cob usually needs 18 ~ 24 inches (450~600mm) of string the way I wrap it as it's wrapped around tightly twice with a criss cross pattern. I sometimes repeat this several times and the cob will end up being dense and heavy. After this I roll the cobs between my palms or on a flat surface to make then more cylindrical then unwrap the cobs again and cut off the ends of the cobs so they are straight cuts (I'm not a neat freak, I just like the straight cut ends) and I re-wrap and re-tie them and seal the cobs in several plastic bags for the 24~48 hours of 40C. I also add about half a spoonful of water to the second and third bags to prevent drying out the cobs..this is not necessary when using vacuum sealed bags for sweating as zero moisture escapes from those bags, but without a vac, the moisture can escape from just sandwich bags.
I remove the string after about 12 hours of sweating when I check for moistness. The cobs will hold their shape from then on and I just re-wrap in parchment paper and re-seal. After sweating and drying the cob, I discard the paper and wrap the cob in cling (saran) wrap for fermenting....and so on and so on....

Happy cob making!

F

Fermented

the parchment paper is cut to about the width of the cob + two inches x the same width..this way there's enough on each end to give it a twist (which the string can cinch tight)

Carraxe

Veteran
This is some Angola Senegal weed fermented in the shape of a cob, but in a food grade plastic bag. This piece weights 150 grams and is 30 cm long. When it dries it will weight between 60 and 70. No mold at all, and this time I pressed the weed so wet that I got some weed juice inside the bag. No bad smell, no mold, nothing but a subtle ferment smell.

I cut this plants ten days ago. I already like the color, so I stopped fermenting. More days would result in a blacker weed and in a more homogeneous texture. Pistils would be difficult to spot.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42699&pictureid=1901841View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42699&pictureid=1901843View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42699&pictureid=1903192View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42699&pictureid=1903193View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42699&pictureid=1903194View Image

Cheers

My fermented Angola Senegal is dried now. I've shredded the cob I made and removed the sticks. Now it is about 60 grams of totally smokable stuff. It smells a little like mint and burns nicely and hits. Fantastic

Cheers

S

Sertaiz

yaaaaa i gotta take a pic of my cobs ive been smoking. the colors are really fun and i love the closeups tang can get. that is finger hash, cobbed? i cant wait to try this technique with something with more crystal

Tangwena

Veteran

Tangwena

Veteran
yaaaaa i gotta take a pic of my cobs ive been smoking. the colors are really fun and i love the closeups tang can get. that is finger hash, cobbed? i cant wait to try this technique with something with more crystal
The finger hash is just a close up of resin scraped off of my fingers while cobbing the Mulanji buds.
It was a rosey color and smelt like real old school hash so I had to take a close up.
I have been heating the hash at 40c and it has matured the resin just the same as it does in the cobs I was not expecting that.

It also changed the smell and taste into a deeper more old school hash taste and flavor.
Its just an observation I dont know if its a valid technique but I read somewhere that traditionally some hash was aged in goat skins in warm conditions and was highly rated.

Night4wings20

From what I've read/learnt you aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before. Kief is traditionally heated to create hash and has been for a very long time, you're just doing it with scissor hash and lower temps. Aged Charas (hand rubbed) is basically what you're creating if you want to put the process under an umbrella of generalization.

Anyone is welcome to correct me if they feel I'm wrong, I am still learning myself after all :)

Tangwena

Veteran
From what I've read/learnt you aren't doing anything that hasn't been done before. Kief is traditionally heated to create hash and has been for a very long time, you're just doing it with scissor hash and lower temps. Aged Charas (hand rubbed) is basically what you're creating if you want to put the process under an umbrella of generalization.

Anyone is welcome to correct me if they feel I'm wrong, I am still learning myself after all :)
Thats it for sure the heat is less than when hash is pressed though.
I dont smoke it so I cant comment on the effects.

I saw a video its probably on IC in the hash making section.
Where this guy in India or Pakistan pressed the hash as normal and then sewed large amounts up in a goats skin and then stashed it to age in a warm place.
The maker of the video claimed it was reputed to improve the hash no end and it was considered the highest quality.

I knew this old Lebanese guy in London who wouldn't smoke the imported Lebanese available in London at the time.
Because he said it wasn't cured properly just pressed and sold.

There is a lot to be said for curing/storing with warm temps over long periods it always seems to come back to that at least in the old traditional type harvesting and curing.

Night4wings20

You should smoke it, maybe you'll like this one since it's made from the pan x hon?

Either way it's an interesting concept with the goats skin, you should have something similar in quality so it should be good for anyone for gets to try it.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor my friend :)