What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I want Gibberellic acid (aka GA3)? What product(s) contains?

medicalmj

Veteran
There's been some discussion about growth hormones and they seem to have a bad rap. I was cautious not to buy a product that might contain. But it recently came up and hearing more about it (not from a sales rep) I want to use it. We should all use it, right? Since I can't find a product that actually lists it, who knows what has it. And I want it! Where to buy it?

Gibberellis acid is naturally produced by plants like our hormones. And GA3 is probably used on most of the plant material we buy. Supposed to be safe as soap.

I also read that it should be in dry form and when mixed in solution be used quickly. That means only dry powders would contain effective GA3. I just bought some H&G shooting powder hoping it might contain( and it was on sale). Some say superthrive but that's a liquid.

Any advise or clarifications would be greatly appreciated!

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Best source seems to be fleabay , you need accurate scales , suggest some research before useing.

You dont need much and it has a shelf life , best kept in the fridge , and dont store unused solution too long.

picture.php

Start at 50 ppm for 24 hours , needs a lower dose than most species by experiment , 500 ppm sems lethal to canna even if fresh and known to be viable.

Have been experimenting to germinate aged seed with encourageing results , nothing else so far.

picture.php

TheArchitect

Veteran
Be careful using it, it induces cell elongation IOW stretch.

Applying with auxins or cytokinins, which promote cell division, is a better idea.

A better idea yet, is get, triacontanol, brassinolide, 6- benzylaminopurine. Salicylic acid is another one to try.

I like salicylic acid at 50-75ppm and tria at 1-2ppm as a foliar during veg.

I am dropping SA in flower, keeping tria and adding 6 bap at 10-14 days.

medicalmj

Veteran
Be careful using it, it induces cell elongation IOW stretch.

Applying with auxins or cytokinins, which promote cell division, is a better idea.

A better idea yet, is get, triacontanol, brassinolide, 6- benzylaminopurine. Salicylic acid is another one to try.

I like salicylic acid at 50-75ppm and tria at 1-2ppm as a foliar during veg.

I am dropping SA in flower, keeping tria and adding 6 bap at 10-14 days.

I use rapid start, which has willow extract among other goodies. I believe willow was the first known plant to use for synthesizing SA. I know it's a proven root stimulant and SAR inducer but does it help with flowering too?

medicalmj

Veteran

Thanks for the link. That's a lot of info you put together! :woohoo:

It seems proper application can be tricky. Have you discovered how to best increase bud size in canna? I am not so interested in germination at the moment.

I am also wondering if H&G shooting powder contains since it must be in powder form. They say to start using week 4 on a 8 week flower schedule.

samaotea

Great topic! only wishing to extend that some other plant hormone could act as well, I use 4-CPA by xyten (www.xyten.com). in New Zealand we use local supplier as most asian sources are in zip bag and crap quality. also combination of abscisic acid with atonik give a great result ...
there is a heap resource on the article.
only can say always better go with half of recommended. I've seen some odd result when using plant hormone. specially if not from well reputed sources.

Latest posts

Latest posts